Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna height  (Read 2681 times)
DF315

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:03 PM »

I'm just asking if my prospective antenna height is adequate. I'm running 11 meters and figure the maximum I can go up is 35 feet. I have the materials and the area for this height. Maximum area in a suburban house to install the mast. I have a 5/8 Ground Plane with 16 radials.

The maximum height to the tip of the antenna will be around 60 feet.

Is this adequate?
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »

Quote from: DF315

Is this adequate?

There is no way we can answer that question.  "Adequate" depends on what you are trying to
accomplish, and is totally subjective with out clear criteria by which to judge it.

There will still be stations you can hear who can't reach you, and local stations at some distance
that you can't work because they are too far away or shielded by terrain.  But that will always be
the case regardless of what antenna you put up.

So you put up an antenna that you feel is a reasonable compromise between cost and performance
(based on the materials you have available, your budget, etc.) and use it.
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »

For 10m/11m - the base of antenna at 16ft minimum will work fine.

Shoot for a 1/2 wave minimum height - 35ft - even better in most cases. Should work great.

11 radials must be fixed to antenna design? Not sure if true 1/4 wave radials?

- 73 K1WJ David
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:01 AM »

Quote from: DF315

...I have a 5/8 Ground Plane with 16 radials...

Are the radials horizontal or sloping?

Sloping radials are NOT a good idea with a 5/8 wave ground plane.  They radiate out of phase
with the main radiator, which tends to cancel the signal at low angles.  Keep the radials
horizontal, and anything more than about 4 radials won't make a difference for an elevated
antenna.  (It does when the radials are on the ground, however.)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »

I'm just asking if my prospective antenna height is adequate. I'm running 11 meters and figure the maximum I can go up is 35 feet. I have the materials and the area for this height. Maximum area in a suburban house to install the mast. I have a 5/8 Ground Plane with 16 radials.

Is this adequate?

It sounds like you have the Italian Sirio 11 Meter Vertical, with 16 very short radials ?
If you can figure out a way to make the radials longer (about 9 feet) the antenna will work better.
35 feet is very near one wavelength on 11 meters, and the vertical will work great, at that height.
Consider getting your Ham License, it is much better then 11 meters.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »

Is this adequate?

Since you are on 11 Meters, and will presumably not be talking skip (which by the way is illegal on CB), you will be communicating by ground wave.  In that case, you should put up your antenna as high as practical.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »

For "skip" height is not needed on your antenna. Near the ground would work just fine.

If you want maximum ground wave coverage height will help.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 03:13:07 PM »

"  Since you are on 11 Meters, and will presumably not be talking skip (which by the way is illegal on CB), you will be communicating by ground wave. "

HAHAHA!

I don't know if you've listened to 11 meters lately, but all you CAN do is talk skip, unless you wait until late evening.
DF315

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »

I'm in Australia so it is not illegal to work 'skip' on 11 meters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: