FT847 Interface to Computer.

(1/2) > >>

Jim DelPrincipe:
I have posted this in the computer section but maybe this is a better place to discuss it. I have a question about interfacing an FT847 to a computer running Logger 32.   It just will not work.   I have a friend who has an FT2000 and it works just fine.  I am using a crossover cable for TX & Rec.   I made up a "modem" that ties pins 7 & 8 together for RTS and CTS, also tied 1,4 & 6 for DTR, DCD and DSR.   Set the baud rate at the FT to 9600, same at the Logger 32.  I made Comm2 active and set the computer for 8 bits, no parity and 2 stop bits as the FT847 asks for in its manual.   I have played with all the combinations I could think of in Logger.   Still nada. No communications.  The FT847 only uses Tx, Rx and ground.   It is supposed to show frequency on the Logger or set the frequency of the radio.  I had one other FT847 owner who said he did not need anything other than Rx, Tx and gnd but he was not using Logger 32.   Any thoughts on this?   ( I know, buy the FT2000).

John Stan:
Quote from: KD1I on December 07, 2011, 04:39:30 AM

I have posted this in the computer section but maybe this is a better place to discuss it. I have a question about interfacing an FT847 to a computer running Logger 32.   It just will not work.   I have a friend who has an FT2000 and it works just fine.  I am using a crossover cable for TX & Rec.   I made up a "modem" that ties pins 7 & 8 together for RTS and CTS, also tied 1,4 & 6 for DTR, DCD and DSR.   Set the baud rate at the FT to 9600, same at the Logger 32.  I made Comm2 active and set the computer for 8 bits, no parity and 2 stop bits as the FT847 asks for in its manual.   I have played with all the combinations I could think of in Logger.   Still nada. No communications.  The FT847 only uses Tx, Rx and ground.   It is supposed to show frequency on the Logger or set the frequency of the radio.  I had one other FT847 owner who said he did not need anything other than Rx, Tx and gnd but he was not using Logger 32.   Any thoughts on this?   ( I know, buy the FT2000).

Older Yeasu's were not computer friendly. 847 is pretty old and fairly primitive in computer interface world. If you get a Kenwood 570 or 480,  TS-2000 or 590 they are VERY easy to hook up with no extra interface. Kenwood was always a little ahead of others in this regard.

Gene Brewer:
Quote from: KD1I on December 07, 2011, 04:39:30 AM

Not familiar with the FT847 but most (if not all) Kenwoods of that era use 4800 baudrate, 7 bits data, 2 stop bits, no parity. Sounds like a config problem as most 3 wire serial interfaces problems usually come down to a baud rate / bit size config error. Recheck your manual to ensure it isn't set wrong. Also use a simple terminal program like Hyperterminal to see if you can just communicate at message level instead of using Logger32. That will help eliminate 1/2 of the software config issues until you can get it to communicate.

Gene W5DQ

Daniel J. Sullivan:
See my reply in to your post elsewhere here. It works, just finicky at times.

Jim DelPrincipe:
Thanks for the input, Guys. I have checked all those things and verified it with the Yaesu helpdesk.   Tonight I will try VT 100 terminal emulator to see if I can pin point the problem to a port.   Could even be a bad UART.    73, Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page