Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow lights maybe??  (Read 2310 times)
W7TNS

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

HI...HAve a disasterous RFI/Noise problem on 40 M...all day, all nite...always at full S9 mtr reading. Never wavers! Though, for5 days in August, it was gone, with normal s4-s5 readings then on 40M. Recent QST article suggests it could be grow lights. Since i don't think I can knock on enough houses to check with my neighbors within a half mile+ radius, any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I do have a Sony 2010 rcvr that so far I have walked down the block once, but no info from that.  Any/all help MUCH appreciated...de Jerry W7TNS
KD0SFY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

For grow lights, there is often a several week period where the lights will be on 24 hrs a day, but then they switch to 12 on/12 off.  If you noise is present 24/7, then grow lights may not be the issue.  Instead, you might have a power transformer problem. 

BTW, similar problems to grow lights can be found with some aquarium lights. 
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »

Wow...Thanks so much for your input. BTW, we do not have above ground electrical here. Have spoken to pwr co. before, but they couldn't find anything that seemed to be on their end...
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:46:53 PM »

Have you tried shutting off your house's circuit breakers to make sure it's not local?

Looking at Google Maps, I see that you are located fairly close to HV lines on South Valley Road.  You might want to take a walk/ride down that road with a two-meter handheld tuned to an empty channel and with the mode set to AM to see if one of those towers is noisy.  You could listen with your Sony portable there as well.

Did the noise change during the recent monsoon rains in your area?  If it did, that would be an indication that is coming from something outside.

With a dipole on 40 and getting an S9 signal from the noise day and night, I recommend searching at least a half-mile from your house in all directions.

Jim/ND6P
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »

Tnx for your suggestions. I have not turned off circuit breakers at this point. Will look into that but tend to doubt it since have not added anything electric here at home in recent memory. I will try to check near the power lines with my mobile 2 mtr rig on AM, and with my Sony. Thanks! No, the noise did not change with the rains. Frustrating to say the least...Sad Angry
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »

It doesn't have to be just grow lights. Most newer florescent fixtures now have switching supplies instead of the old ballast to start them. My neighbor has them in his 8' lights and they wipe out my 10 meter band. Sometimes they turn them on and forget to turn them off.
Fred K2DFC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: