Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do when you're not DXing?  (Read 2223 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »

This post was inspired by another post concerning the very interesting activities of Dan N3OX when he is not DXing.

Perhaps it's a little light relief to see what other amateurs get up to (work or hobby) when they are not turning the dial.

For me, my job is owning/managing a couple of transit hotels at the small but very busy Phuket International Airport in south Thailand.

This airport is located in a busy tourist area, and the runway stretches almost across the island - from beach to beach.

My work schedule, and the arrival and departure times of flights with my hotel guests means that I can be - and usually am - up at all hours, ideal for a DXer.

The only downside of living so close to the airport is the restriction on antenna mast height ...

How about you?  What is your job or other hobbies?

Simon
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »

Cycling, Kayaking, Hiking, (which I do with my wife), writing code for work, building antennas outdoors, making assemblage art. Helping my kids with their home work and many other projects.

And to relax, drink a bomber of Double IPA - like Drake's Hopocalypse . . . 
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:52:04 AM »

Work - Software developer for a major university

Not at work - Finishing a college degree that I last worked on in the late 80s. I figure, I am here anyway, easy commute after work (just move my car to a different parking lot), free tuition as an employee - I would be crazy not to, besides, going back to school when you are twice as old as most of the other students, older than many of the instructors, having some instructors that you have WORKED with professionally in the past is an eye opening Shocked experience. 

When not actually my workplace (either working or going to school)  -
homebrewing - both kinds - beer & electronics
reading
watching old tv shows.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:48 AM »

I enjoy spending time with the family.  Japanese martial arts take up quite a bit of my time.  Sometimes I throw in a little photography and astronomy to make things interesting.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:56:12 AM »

I repair and sell laptops on Ebay for a living. Seems to be getting harder every year as the prices at the box shifters drops so I may be looking for something else at the end of the current financial year.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »

In the  radio  world   i am  never  DXing.. i may work  some  DX  at random  but  I dont  do it just to do it.
I would things repair things,  read,,  work on  auto and   tractor mechanics.
Carpentry,    make hay.. travel. talk to locals in the club.
Volunteer work at local   lumber store.

DXing is for   idjits..   why spend all that time just to say   59 qsl..................
If you are going to talk on the radio,, then   talk,learn,converse....

"you are 5 and 9  Qsl  is not  conversing..

signed  ..
grumpy!!
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

Playing the drums, and wine/beer (from around the world) tasting.  Not to mention listening to Shortwave Radio (those stations that haven't abandoned radio for the internet, etc.), having political debates (mainly with my friend up in Rochester New York via e-mail), and rooting for the Pittsburgh Steelers.....Plus the usual work/family/hanging with my friends thing......Life is good....

V
KA3NRX

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »

Sex - Drugs - Rock & Roll -  Cool 73 K1WJ
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »

Photography, competitive shooting, play on the computer, play with the grandchildren, take the grandchildren shooting, hand loading ammo, play in the swimming pool (but not in winter!), sleep ...

Contrary to some, amateur radio is NOT the biggest activity in my life. I have a life off the air. Smiley

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »

Right now, looking for a new job.

But beyond that - running, hiking, saving up for a vintage air-cooled Porsche. Wrenching on the old stuff has gotten into my blood.

Makes ham radio seem cheap, too...
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »

Power boating, sailing, scuba diving, camping, hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking, tennis, golf, amateur astronomy, collecting muscle cars, and especially world travel!  Being a real estate investor and landlord leaves me lots of time for leisure activities. 
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »

DXing is for   idjits.

Sheesh... (sharp intake of breathe).  At least I can work V85, XV, XW etc from the comfort of my mobile station... and have time to ragchew.

Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: