Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CALLING CQ WITH JT65  (Read 3221 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »

Just a heads up for those of you who operate JT65.

If you call CQ IN (or DX or any other state abbreviation) you might not get answered.

With JT65-HF when someone double left clicks on your CQ the following message comes up on the RX screen

Can not compute TX message. In other words, I can not answer your CQ is you use that format. I can not type in your call and mine in the TX Text to call you because it is limited to 13 characters.

I have not found a way to get around the above problem. If someone else has please post the required format. I have seen another thread about this posted on the Yahoo JT65 Group so I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

73, Rick VE3FMC
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »

Have you asked on the Google JT65HF web page ? This is where you will find the originator of the mode

mel G0GQK
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »

Have you asked on the Google JT65HF web page ? This is where you will find the originator of the mode

mel G0GQK

No Mel I did not ask on that group. I have posted this in the past on the Yahoo JT65 forum and no one seems to have an answer.

As near as I can tell you can not answer a CQ like that. Maybe the guys sending it that way do not know that.

It is really not a big concern for me, I am in Ontario Canada, no one is calling CQ for my province, they are trying to get WAS.
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »

I scanned the Google group and according to Joe Large, the JT65-HF author, double clicking a CQ will only work if it has the format "CQ <callsign> <grid>". With any other format he says you have to manually enter the callsign in the callsign field at the lower right of the screen.
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:12 AM »

I've had a couple of people email me to say they can't respond to my CQ DX in JT65.

If you're using JT65-HF, just type in the callsign in "TX to Call Sign" box then click the Answer CQ  button.  From there, you can respond to any call on the entry list.  Even one that's not.  I sometimes use the PSKreporter to see who heard me, and if I'd like that station, I'd populate their call and reach out to them.  I've received some nice DX back that way.

See Page 22 of the Operations Guide included with the software.

f, k2ncc
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:59:10 AM by K2NCC » Logged

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »

Thanks Frank, I was wondering how to do that too.  I just started JT65 this month. 

And this question isn't pointed at you personally, but do you know how to work a /7, or any other slash callsign?  The first or second night I was using this mode I saw a callsign for a dx that would have been a new new one for me, but I couldn't figure out how to call him... will the same callsign box technique work for that too?

tnx es 73, Bill N7VEA
K2NCC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply Bill.  I don't work too many "slants", so also don't have much experience.

In attempting to do so here, it looks fine, but leaves off the grid-square when calling.  I don't think that will matter.  It shows "N7VEA/7 R-15" which, to me, is enough.  Although some purists would say it's non-standard.  Not that bothers me much.  I've had hour-long QSOs with JT65!  Gives me time to do other things in the shack between transmissions.

Great question!  I recommend asking a group of folks who know way more than I do, here:
http://groups.google.com/group/jt65-hf

And if you're a glutton for punishment, follow my experiments and other ham radio interests on my K2NCC Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/K2ncc/328112783868326

f
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:10:41 PM by K2NCC » Logged

Vy 73, de Frank K2NCC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: