Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What coax to use between my radios, tuner ,amp etc. (inside shack not to antenna  (Read 12786 times)
KG0DB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

N3WAK..........."Tony" you can blow it out your shorts.  The question was straight forward and relatively simple to answer, "what coax jumper"?  He didn't ask for a damn reading list recommended by some "intellectual" operator.  Paraphrasing Dwight David Eisenhower, "An intellectual is someone who uses too many words to describe something they know little about".  Guys like this make me sick.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »

I use LMR 240 ultra flex in the shack as jumpers.  Then use bury flex to my antenna.  The LMR ultra flex is great and can supposedly handle power up to 5.4 kw  Shocked

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KG0DB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »

KC9TRM how refreshing.  Straight forward answer to straight forward question.  And thanks to all others who had the courtesy of an honest reply.  The "reading lists" can take a hike.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 03:54:42 AM »

KC9TRM how refreshing.  Straight forward answer to straight forward question.  And thanks to all others who had the courtesy of an honest reply.  The "reading lists" can take a hike.

No problem. Glad I could help.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »

KG0DB--Sorry I offended you.  However, my answer was responsive, polite, and immediate.  Your post (1) is four months too late, (2) doesn't address the guy's question at all, and (3) is rude.  I tried to point the guy in the right direction so that he could expand his ham radio knowledge and become more self-sufficient.  Your and my approach to things may be different...but posting that "Guys like this make me sick" and I "can blow it out of [my] shorts" doesn't seem to improve the quality of the discourse and helpfulness of the Elmer's Forum.   

I am, however, most impressed with your Eisenhower quote.  But I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  After all, President Eisenhower also stated: "Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power."  That is, even Ike recognized that there's always a place for an intellectual approach to important questions like, What's the best coax to use? 

Good luck and 73, Tony

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

I use LMR 240 ultra flex in the shack as jumpers.  Then use bury flex to my antenna.  The LMR ultra flex is great and can supposedly handle power up to 5.4 kw  Shocked

Do not know where you got that figure. It is only rated at 980 watts at 30mhz. (about same as RG8x) If you want a small RG 58 size jumper with high power capacity you need RG142. It is rated at 9kw at 30mhz. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »

Is this calculator http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl overly conservative then?

It shows the power handling ability of a 50 foot run of RG8X to be 360 watts on 10 meters.

Sam
W9KDX
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »

Is this calculator http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl overly conservative then?

It shows the power handling ability of a 50 foot run of RG8X to be 360 watts on 10 meters.

Way off. You could run 3x that. You just would not want a few hundred feet run from line loss.
Here is one chart

http://www.therfc.com/powerrat.htm#RG58

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »

Thanks, I'll save my RG8X for when the LMR-240 I got to handle the higher power wears out.  At least I didn't spend a ton and I got great practice replacing all the connectors.

Shame so many tables differ on this.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: