Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Source For #2 Solid Copper Uninsulated Wire  (Read 3609 times)
K4CTV

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »

Does anyone know a source for small quantities (i.e. 10 - 20 ft) of #2 Solid Copper Uninsulated Wire? Any ideas would be appreciated. 73's, Dave K4CTV
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »

Sure, go to your nearest reclaimation center.  They have all sizes of freshly stolen copper
wire and copper tubing.  Plus if you need aluminum siding for your home and don't want to
collect it yourself, the center will have it.
Don't bother with distributors and big box stores and their high prices.  The center will sell
for scrap prices and save the shipping charges.

(Don't tell them I sent you)

Allen
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »

Great tip!

Many thanks OM
Bob
K4CTV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »

May thanks for the tip Allen but I'm not hopeful that I'll find #2 Solid Copper Uninsulated Wire but who knows - I'll let you know how successful I am. 73's, Dave
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »

You might also consider thick-wall copper tubing - take a look at Loew's or Home Depot for a packagedcoil just about the length you want. It's used for water feeds to icemakers, swamp coolers, and such.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »

Does anyone know a source for small quantities (i.e. 10 - 20 ft) of #2 Solid Copper Uninsulated Wire? Any ideas would be appreciated. 73's, Dave K4CTV

Does it need to be solid? That stuff is going to be a bear to work with, unless you have a tubing bender Cheesy

Welding supply places would have 2AWG stranded welding cable. Short of that, a car audio shop should have 10-20 feet of 1/0 stranded, although their prices are going to probably be significantly more ("pretty" wire vs. ugly welding cable).
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

I agree with the suggestion to just use the tubing.......   Depending on just what you want to do, Usually the hollow tubing will save you a ton of money and work just as well as solid copper wire.

(You DO however need to be careful to not bend sharply or kink the hollow tubing!)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

Sure, go to your nearest reclaimation center.  They have all sizes of freshly stolen copper
wire and copper tubing.

Hahahaha Grin

Just watch out for meth addicts following you home to re-steal it.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:03 AM »

Any decent, fully stocked electrical supply house should have it--although you'll pay top dollar for it there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: