Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS480/DXLABSUITE works FB, no luck w/N1MM generating CW  (Read 3769 times)
N5MOA

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »

I'm using dxlabsuite right now for general logging and dabbling in contests with my TS480.

Connections are a straight through DB9 cable to the computer, using ANI/ANO from the 6 pin mini din to the sound card.

Using Winwarbler, RTTY and CW works great.

With N1MM, using the same settings, it tracks the frequency/mode etc fine, but gives me a "port configuration error" message when I try to send cw.

I can change the setting in the config tab, and get the radio to key when trying to send cw, but I have to unplug the key, then it just keys the radio, it doesn't send anything.

I'm a computer idiot, and it is probably operator error, but who has N1MM working with a TS480  and how is it configured?

Thanks.

KG9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »

I believe you have to build a special interface (basically a transistor and a resistor as I recall) and connect it directly to the key jack when using N1MM to send CW.  It does not send CW using the sound card.  And, it can't receive CW, only transmit. 
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

Correct. N1MM Logger does not support sending CW using the radio's control cable. You need to use a serial port (or USB-derived serial port) or the parallel port, with a transistor interface.

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Interfacing

As these legacy serial and parallel ports disappear from new computers, Winkeyer USB will eventually be the only solution.

http://www.k1el.com/

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:27 AM »

Correct. N1MM Logger does not support sending CW using the radio's control cable. You need to use a serial port (or USB-derived serial port) or the parallel port, with a transistor interface.

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Interfacing

As these legacy serial and parallel ports disappear from new computers, Winkeyer USB will eventually be the only solution.

http://www.k1el.com/

Thanks for the link(s). I missed that page when I was browsing the N1MM site.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »

I believe you have to build a special interface (basically a transistor and a resistor as I recall) and connect it directly to the key jack when using N1MM to send CW.  It does not send CW using the sound card.  And, it can't receive CW, only transmit

True but I have found that CWGet integrates very nicely with N1MM. While I copy by ear my speed isn't that fast so I augment it by using CWGet as a backup copy method for the  guys that feel they must run 50+ wpm in a contest. Click on callsign in CWget places it in the clipboard. Move mouse to N1MM entry window, press Control-V to paste and hit TAB to enter exchange and your done.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »

And, it can't receive CW, only transmit. 

N1MM will decode CW (and RTTY, PSK, etc.). N1MM provides a very slick integrated digital interface with fldigi. It's easy to do. Download and install fldigi, and then go to Config/Digital Modes and enter the path to the fldigi folder.  I use the integrated N1MM-fldigi for RTTY contests.  73 Jim K6OK
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »

And, it can't receive CW, only transmit. 

N1MM will decode CW (and RTTY, PSK, etc.). N1MM provides a very slick integrated digital interface with fldigi. It's easy to do. Download and install fldigi, and then go to Config/Digital Modes and enter the path to the fldigi folder.  I use the integrated N1MM-fldigi for RTTY contests.  73 Jim K6OK

Curious why you would want to use fldigi when N1MM uses MMRTTY, the standard RTTY engine used by most ham software. Why throw an extra layer of interfacing and such on the system when it already is present for RTTY as is. For CW, N1MM does not decode so you must supply either a decoding interface or use a carbon-based audio processor (ears and brain) to decode CW signals.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: