Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMRS Help Requested  (Read 1502 times)
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »

Howdy, folks,

As you can tell from the subject, this isn't a ham radio question, it's an LMRS (Land Mobile Radio Service) question.  I'm a ham (extra class) and my brother and I are amateur (road course) auto racers (Sports Car Club of America).  We're looking into installing car-to-car and pit-to-car radio systems as part of our racing efforts.  Most of the teams seem to use LMRS frequencies.  I haven't investigated where they get them.  I want to do our system wholly within the regulations.  FRS would be nice from the licensing standpoint, but finding gear that will withstand the in-car environment, and accommodates external antennas and such, seems difficult, at best.  GMRS gear for the durability and mount/antenna/power flexibility seems much more available, but licensing still seems to be an issue.  I can get a family GMRS license that will cover a lot of the folks we'd want on the radio, but what about hired crew chief and such?  LMRS has problems from licensing everyone to equipment with restricted capabilities (no more than 16 pre-programmed channels, for example).  The ham bands and gear offer the most operational flexibility, but we again seem to have a licensing problem, in that anyone that transmits needs to hold a ham license, it seems to me.

I'm throwing this out for the input of the "assembled masses".  Any input on which direction you would go?  Remember, this is amateur racing, the only prizes are trophies, so (at least arguably) non-remunerative.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »

You may as well forget FRS since you cannot use external antennas. I don't know how much distance you need to cover, but have you considered MURS (Multi-Use Radio Service)? You can use up to 2 watts on 5 VHF business band frequencies ("dot channels") without a license. You are allowed external gain antennas and the gear can be had on eBay pretty inexpensively. Lots of the old Radio Shack business band radios were programmable to the "dot channels" via dip switches. Just do a Google search on MURS.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »

I know I am late to the party on this.  I had a long conversation with the FCC about this very same situation.  The only viable options for club racers is MURS or CB.  If all the club racers were to go to MURS there would be a big problem with only 5 channels.  "WE" do not qualify for a business band license because we are not a for profit business, they say.   FRS is legal but range is so limited as to be next to useless.  Currently GMRS would require each person not related to the Licensee to have their own license.  BUT, there may some light at the end of the tunnel.  The FCC is considering changing the GMRS rules to drop the license requirement.

Or you could do what everyone else in the paddock is doing and ignore the rules.  That is not advised.

There is one other option,  Rent radios from a company who is licensed and provides that service.  You are then covered by their license and don't have to worry about maintenance and upkeep on the radios. 
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

I think there are    'two way'  companys that  provide   radios and   licnese coverage.
they have their own repeaters..
suppy  comunications for      veternarians  , small time  construction co.. etc.
check with  local  two way  gusy...
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »

Your use is inappropriate for the amateur radio service. Yours is a commercial endeavor, requiring - to be legal - commercial licensing. But as stated before, the commercial firms may be able to set you up on their license for operations. Ask your local Motorola/Kenwood commercial dealer for details.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: