Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talking and Sending CW at the Same Time  (Read 5390 times)
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »

'How many out there can talk and send CW at the same time?'...... Not a chance; and I remember Cycle 19.   Further, ONE (1) small glass of wine and my Iambic sending becomes 'air polution'....

dm
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »

Summer of '72. My friend John and I were invited to see the shack of a guy who was one of the well known old time CW men in the Kansas City area. I had just upgraded from Novice and my interest in CW was, at best, so-so. I've never seen anything like it since. Several old boat anchor transmitters (Vikings?) for separate frequencies, an ancient National receiver and a 6 foot home brew KW in a big grey rack mount. He was a straight CW op, ran a bug and while we were there heard another OT on 40 CW on "his frequency". While talking to us he fired up the bug at about 30 WPM and carried on both conversations at the same time. Never wrote anything down. I was at that point where I had one foot in the I'm-gonna-ditch-the-key mode but after that, well I just stuck with it. Can I do it now (or ever?)...no way. But it was good to once be in the company of someone who could.
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 07:21:47 AM »

As a kid I could carry on brief conversations with my parents as they walked by or entered by bedroom.  At the time I was going about 15~18 wpm, so it wasn't too difficult to pay attention to both.  I could also send and talk, but not send anything more profound that TNX GUD QSO ES 73 or something like that.  No Gettysburg Address.

With more routine contacts (such as waiting for DX), I could have a fluent conversation with one ham in the club shack and have another ear on the radio listening for the call.  I used computer function keys as presets, so at that point CW was more like playing those newfangled slot machines than actually having a sustained contact.

73, Jordan
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »

Its certainly not impossible, I have learned to do it, by necessity since the xyl keeps interrupting me when I am having cw qso's!
I can now both receive and send while talking - bless my xyl.

73s
G3RXO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »

I can so clearly remember two instances that impressed me on this subject, the first from more than half a century ago.    When I was a school boy I went into a local ham's shack and saw the glowing 813's, the massive open-air ATU, the tuned lines going out of the window .... then heard him on the vibroplex and watched him copy rx notes down on a pad.    He was copying cw at about 30 wpm, in Cyrllic/Russian, tranlsating it to English in his head, writing it's main points down, and telling me what he was doing at the same time.    Bug eyed or what !    I can still see that shack as clear as can be in my memory today.

Years later, as a part of my job, I visited a Met Office radio station and the operator on duty stood up to welcome us into his radio room.    He still kept his headphones half on, the sort with two black bakerlite rocks held together with viscious twin steel scissor bands, and began to talk to us.    He still listened to the cans and occasionally excused himself from the conversation to copy down a brief note on his upright (US = mill) typewriter.  As we left I noticed that on the other side of the typewriter he had an open paperback which he'd been reading while copying Met Office traffic before we'd arrived.   
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

The brain can do amazing things, but I cannot do this.  I have worked two stations simultaneously during contests, but that's very simple exchanges, so it doesn't really count.  I believe this skill can be developed, as the brain is amazingly plastic, and each of us has gifts that are a bit different than someone else, but it seems like different loops to me.  Who knows what kind of side loop connections are possible.  One thing that has always amazed me about cw is that, for me, extreme focus is almost a lack of focus.  Not really a lack of focus, but a state where the big picture becomes more important than the details.  Spooky.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: