Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring a Vibroplex Key  (Read 6207 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »

I received a very nice 1973 Vibrokeyer from one of my fellow CW contest friends for Christmas.  It didn't have a cable with it, so I wondered if anybody would see a problem with purchasing one of the Radio Shack extension cables that has a 1/4" stereo plug on one end.  On the other end I would chop off that connector, strip the wires, and then attach it to the key.  I may have to test to see which wire goes where....but does that like it would work?  It may cheaper and definitely faster then buying an actual 2-pack of 3-conductor plugs, buying wire, and soldering them.

Chris, KC8CAJ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »

Sure it will work. Be careful that the wires inside the cable are not too small to work with. Radio Shack also sells cables with the plug on one end and wires on the other end.
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:20:30 AM »

Perfect...that's even better.  What guage of wire should I look for?  Pardon my ignorance on this, I've never owned a key that didn't already have a wire attached.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »

You probably won't have many options on available wire guage. The concern is not current handling ability but just something that is strong enough physically that you won't have problems with it breaking at the connections.
WA8JXM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:03:41 AM »

Or just purchase a 1/4" phone plug and use a couple of feet of double wire.  Most of the plugs have screw terminals but I prefer to remove the screws and solder the connections.

On a bug, the "which wire goes where" doesn't really matter.   

Ken
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »

Or just purchase a 1/4" phone plug and use a couple of feet of double wire.  Most of the plugs have screw terminals but I prefer to remove the screws and solder the connections.

On a bug, the "which wire goes where" doesn't really matter.   

Ken

The OP has a Vibrokeyer, not a bug.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:16:51 PM »

[/quote]
The OP has a Vibrokeyer, not a bug.
[/quote]

Which means you need three wires:  one for dits, one for dots, and one for ground.
You also need a plug with sleeve, ring and tip in whatever size your key jack is.
Don't even have to think too much just keep swapping wires until it works right.
Allen
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

I may have to test to see which wire goes where
....but does that like it would work?

Ever think to look in the manual of the rig you're
going to use it with.....to get the key wiring scheme?

Plus, it's not exactly like you're hooking up a 13 Pin DIN here......

Ken  AD6KA
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: KC8CAJ
I received a very nice 1973 Vibrokeyer from one of my fellow CW contest friends for Christmas. 
It didn't have a cable with it, so I wondered if anybody would see a problem with purchasing one of the Radio Shack extension cables that
has a 1/4" stereo (TRS) plug on one end. 
On the other end, I would chop off that connector, strip the wires, and then attach it to the key.
Chris -

YES, you can do that. 
Radio Shack also sells a 3-conductor cable already packaged that has a 1/4" TRS (stereo) conector on one end
and stripped, tinned wires on the other end.  I prefer that this cable be 2-conductor with overall shield (3-wire)-- reduces any issues with RFI pickup.

Since this is a Vibroplex VibroKeyer, you still need an Electornic keyer -- either external for older radio equipment OR
built into your new equipment (or optional internal board installed).

73, greg
K3GBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »

That is exactly what I did for my I1QOD paddle...bought a stereo cable with 1/4 inch plugs from Radio Shack, chopped one end off, and wired up the key.

73 George K3GBB
K8JD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »

It seems strange that the poster never got a key without a cable.
I never got a key or paddle  with any wiring preconnected to it !
I have been soldering up connectors to cables since I was in high school, 50+ years now.
Keys, bugs, coax, power supplies, microfones, stereo audio componants, you name it.
It used to be an integral part of the electronic hobbies.
Too sad,
..... JD

73...John
SKCC 1395T, FISTS 3853
Official US Taxpayer
K0HEA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »

Vibroplex sells the connectors for both the 'bug' and the keyer... www.vibroplex.com
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:19:14 AM »

Wire size is not a problem.  However, cable (or wire) flexibility is.  There's nothing worse than dealing with a key, bug or keyer paddles with a big stiff wire to the radio!
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »

I was surprised at the cost of a 6' stereo-plug-to-stereo-plug cable in a Canadian Radio Shack store -- $16 !!!

My local music store had a similar item (but with better wire and plugs) for $8.

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: