Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAN on mobile operations?!  (Read 4460 times)
KD0PBO

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

Just saw on the news that the National Transportation Safety Board is trying to push a ban to stop cell phone use while driving BUT the current draft of the regulations include a ban on ALL handheld devices while driving. This to me sounds like it includes the use of handheld radio's while mobile. Maybe a stretch, but even the use of actual mobile rigs since they also consist of a handheld microphone...

Too early I'm sure to raise a fuss about it but thought I'd just throw it out there...

KD0PBO
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:52:52 PM »

There's another lively thread here on this ... it'll never trickle down to those businesses who use two-way radio nor hams, IMHO.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

Thanks Clint, haha I saw the other thread and ive made a few post as well..

Miles,
KD0PBO
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »

Funniest reply so far: "We gotta ban MOTHERS-IN-LAW" from cars ... "

Happy holidays!

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
W6ZPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:04:40 AM »

I posted this on the other thread also, but in case you didn't see it, the federal government has already banned cell phones for commercial vehicle operators. The ban takes effect in January.

The next to the last sentence is interesting.

This is the news release from the Missouri Department of Transportation, however note it is a federal, not a state ban. 

Cell phone use banned for commercial motor vehicles

JEFFERSON CITY – Beginning January 3, 2012, commercial motor vehicle drivers are banned from using hand-held mobile phones and push-to-talk cell phones while driving. The ban is being implemented by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration after research indicated drivers distracted by hand-held phones pose a safety risk to themselves and other motorists.

Specifically the rule prohibits drivers from reaching for, holding, or dialing a mobile phone while driving, and applies to commercial motor vehicle truck and bus drivers who operate in Missouri as well as interstate drivers. School bus drivers and those driving vehicles designed to carry nine to 15 passengers are included.

The ban applies when the vehicle is in operation on the highway, when temporarily stopped on the highway for traffic, or when waiting at a stoplight, stop sign or other traffic control device.

Drivers can use a hand-held cell phone only if the vehicle is stopped in an area safe for parking a commercial vehicle, or to communicate with law enforcement or other emergency services to report emergencies.

"It’s about safety," said MoDOT Motor Carrier Services Director Jan Skouby. "Any steps that can be taken to reduce fatalities is something MoDOT will support in any way we can."
The new rule affects all commercial motor vehicles operated in interstate commerce with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more or a vehicle transporting any amount of hazardous materials requiring a placard.

Also affected are drivers of vehicles operated solely in intrastate commerce with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more carrying any amount of hazardous materials.

The new rule includes all contracted school bus operations and shuttle buses. Intrastate carriers who are currently exempted from the federal regulations by the state of Missouri will remain unaffected by the new rule.

The use of hands-free devices is allowed; however, drivers can only use hands-free phones and headsets if the phone is in their reach while being restrained by a seat belt in the driver’s seat. Dialing a hands-free phone while in motion is allowed only if it can be done by striking a single button.

The use of CB radios, other two-way radio communication or electronic devices are not included in the ban.

To review the full federal regulation, visit http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-12-02/html/2011-30749.htm
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 03:28:07 AM »

Agreed!  However, the only way to do that (in all too many cases) is to make them 'ex' mothers-in-laws!  Not too good--from some standpoints!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:46:00 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »

As I replied in the last thread, I've been an over the road truck driver for the past 21 years an cant imagine them removing two way radio from any vehicle and if it does pass I'm sure that will include law enforcement vehicles as well. right ??
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »

....and if it does pass I'm sure that will include law enforcement vehicles as well. right ??

If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to show you!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:16 AM »

....and if it does pass I'm sure that will include law enforcement vehicles as well. right ??

If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I want to show you!

LOL!

You mean "a bridge in Brooklyn I want to "sell" you". Wink

Oh boy! Is someone out here starting another thread like WA4D for attention?

I don't think you want the reputation WA4D has on this topic or any other of his rants and raves, but I guess I understand why.

Except, you shouldve posted this on his thread instead of making your own. It also maybe to early for you to as well post this like some do when they hear a comet is approaching earth. Only thing with that is that in meteorology close to them is a million miles away. LOL!

Even if they did some ham rigs have VOX and you can operate them hands free or with headset which clearly states in the law bill that it's excepted if such electronics are installed for operation. 

No need to worry! It's not like we're not gonna use them either way.

73!
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »

Lol I started this thread simply out of curiousity at least a month ago. I had and still have no intention of gaining a rep like WA4D.  Cool

Simply heard it on the news back in December and thought it was a worth a post just not knowing it was already a highly debated topic. Also, WA4D did have another thread that was posted the same time mine was but his obviously got more attention with his nonsensical antics  Roll Eyes

Miles
KD0PBO
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

"I'll give you my mic when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »

Agreed!  However, the only way to do that (in all too many cases) is to make them 'ex' mothers-in-laws!  Not too good--from some standpoints!

When my now ex M-I-L was in my car, I used to say I had the only Mitsubishi Galant with 3 airbags in it ..... 2 in the front dashboard and 1 in the back seat!!! And the back seat one doubled as a heater by blowing hot air all the time!

Come to think of it, maybe that is why she is my EX M-I-L!  Grin

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »

"I'll give you my mic when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

LOL! HERE HERE! I second that one.

73!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:30 AM »

When my now ex M-I-L was in my car, I used to say I had the only Mitsubishi Galant with 3 airbags in it ..... 2 in the front dashboard and 1 in the back seat!!! And the back seat one doubled as a heater by blowing hot air all the time!

Come to think of it, maybe that is why she is my EX M-I-L!  Grin

That may be true if your XYL used to take her mother's side on everything.  My ex-XYL didn't--AAMOF, she agreed with me on most things--but she is still my ex-XYL!  And since her mother never did like me, she has even thought to change the ex part of ex-XYL--and is even thinking of doing so on MY terms!  Will wonders never cease! Grin
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »

Come to think of it, maybe that is why she is my EX M-I-L!  Grin

That may be true if your XYL used to take her mother's side on everything.  My ex-XYL didn't--AAMOF, she agreed with me on most things--but she is still my ex-XYL!  And since her mother never did like me, she has even thought to change the ex part of ex-XYL--and is even thinking of doing so on MY terms!  Will wonders never cease! Grin

It works out ok. My first wife (ex-XYL #1) is now my XYL #3. Don't think about it too hard .... it will just give you a headache .... gives me one Smiley We got re-hitched after both tried a 2nd time around. I think she just missed pushing my buttons and giving me a hard time Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: