Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham-Radio-Deluxe Evolution - any news?  (Read 3394 times)
K3VAT

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

Does anyone have recent (say, within past month or so) information on fate of the Ham-Radio-Deluxe software suite?  It was announced (Sept 2011) that HRD was sold 3 US amateurs and that HRD development was to continue.  Couldn’t find any recent info on W4PCSoftware, WA9PIE, nor on theTimewave websites.  Sent a couple of emails, but guess they’re busy on development.  73,  Rich, K3VAT
KB0ASQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

They moved their support forum to http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/

They had a post on there yesterday stating that they hoped to get out version 5.1 by the end of the year.

Allen KBØASQ
http://kb0asq.com
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »

thanks Allen for the info.  may be they saw my post - hi hi
73, Rich, K3VAT
WA4GIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

I just read on the HRD website that they will have a version of 5.1 (the new one) at their booth at the Orlando Hamcation this weekend. I'll be looking forward to see it and talk to them. I'll let you all know after this coming weekend (Feb 10 thru 12th).

Regards,

Butch - WA4GIF
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

A Message on the HRD Yahoo user group is that it will ready for download Friday 2/9/12 thats tommrow YEA!!! They are still working on the Ver 6.0 (the pay for version) Cant wait for that one either. Lot's of exciting stuff from the New HRD owners.

Roland AH6RR
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »

Ver 5.1 is out now I downloaded it this morning and it works FB.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »

I wish the new group a lot of good will and will be watching the progress.  I gave up HRD for simpler products this past year.  While HRD has some very nice features, IMHO it has become very complex in its design and a bit bloated, and that is not a good thing.  IMO, it is too big and has so many features that most hams will never use that it has become overly bulky in its implementation.  Sometimes more is not better.  Just one example is a time issue in the Satellite module.  It plays big in the accurate prediction of satellite passes.  Probably not a big deal to most but I would rather use a dedicated program like NOVA (which isn't without its issues) or Orbitron which I think are far better tracking programs.  The final straw for me was when HRD lost track of my logbook database.  It was there on the drive but for some reason I couldn't get HRD to recognize it or open it.  So I simply moved to a less sophisticated suite of programs that are also free, load fast, play well together and with other programs, and run perfectly fine on a low end laptop.  They may not be as pretty and robust as HRD but they work great and do everything I need at this point.

I really do wish the folks at HRD well and hope they can fix a few of the problems that HRD has.  A pay for use program?  Hmmmm!  I don't fault them for trying to make a buck on their product but I don't know that a lot of hams are going to be willing to pay much for it when there are so many free or donation driven programs available.   We will see, good luck to everyone. 

Isn't free enterprise and democracy great!  Let's hope our country can endure the current broadside on its heritage and very foundation.

Tom
AE5QB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: