Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Meters  (Read 131329 times)
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be starting a Net on ten meters on 11/25/2013.
The net will start at 7PM EST M-F on 28.400 +/- QRM.
Tell all your ham friends and try to check in with us.
I hope the band will be open some nights so we can get some out of state check-ins.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »

Charles, any newbie reading this thread would assume that working Puerto Rico or Colombia was a big deal on Ten. From North Carolina, a good DX location, you should be working the whole world on better days, including Africa, Asia rarely, and Europe many days.

What is your station and antenna?

Consider that some huge U.S. stations worked over 160 different countries in this weekend's CQWW DX contest. Yes, they were running full power and big stacked Yagis, but even a dipole and QRP power could work you perhaps 100 countries in a year.

Get on the band around 7 AM to noon and point your beam (I think you said you had one) toward Europe... and listen for weak stations with accents. 
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »

Charles, any newbie reading this thread would assume that working Puerto Rico or Colombia was a big deal on Ten. From North Carolina, a good DX location, you should be working the whole world on better days, including Africa, Asia rarely, and Europe many days.

What is your station and antenna?

Consider that some huge U.S. stations worked over 160 different countries in this weekend's CQWW DX contest. Yes, they were running full power and big stacked Yagis, but even a dipole and QRP power could work you perhaps 100 countries in a year.

Get on the band around 7 AM to noon and point your beam (I think you said you had one) toward Europe... and listen for weak stations with accents.  
Hi K0OD,

My radio is a FT-840, 100W and a 3 Element mono band crushcraft beam.
I also have a 10 double bazooka dipole up in a tree.
I work from 6AM-2:30pm M-F and a lot of Saturdays.
When I am off on Saturday I get on from 7AM -12 when I can.
I get on around 3:30PM some during the week and try to catch a few DX stations before the band closes.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:17:28 PM by KD4TVB » Logged
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »

Hi Charles.

I am from the UK and have no problem working the USA with 100W and a Hexbeam on 10m from around 13-1400Z however at this time of year the band closes quite early around 17-1800Z so the window to the USA is quite short unless there's excellent propogation.

With 100W and my Hexbeam at 30ft high I've worked the world on 10m.  The best I've done was actually with a home made Moxon antenna at 22ft where I worked 91 countries on all seven continents in 16hrs operating in the October CQ-WW SSB contest last year, even working some countries longpath.
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

Hi Charles.

I am from the UK and have no problem working the USA with 100W and a Hexbeam on 10m from around 13-1400Z however at this time of year the band closes quite early around 17-1800Z so the window to the USA is quite short unless there's excellent propogation.

With 100W and my Hexbeam at 30ft high I've worked the world on 10m.  The best I've done was actually with a home made Moxon antenna at 22ft where I worked 91 countries on all seven continents in 16hrs operating in the October CQ-WW SSB contest last year, even working some countries longpath.

Hi M6GOM,

That sounds like you have a good setup and I hope to work you sometime on 10M.
Thanks for your post and Merry Christmas from North Carolina USA.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
KD8VTU

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »

I am on 10 meters everyday  monitoring 28.310 and 28.420  hope to hear you soon   kd8vtu michael edwardsburg, mi
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »

I am on 10 meters everyday  monitoring 28.310 and 28.420  hope to hear you soon   kd8vtu michael edwardsburg, mi
Hi Michael,

I have to work tomorrow but will get on around 12pm and listen for you on 28.310 & 28.420.
What antenna do you have?
I will be getting on the 28.380 Ten-Ten Net at 18:00 UTC (1PM EST) on Saturday.
You can text me if you want to let me know you are on the ten meters.

Best 73,
Charles, KD4TVB,
828-231-5460,

HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Charles and my call is KD4TVB.
I live in North Carolina and am active on ten meters most days when I catch the band open.
I started this topic so, anyone interested in ten meters can click on notify.
That way you will get a email letting you know when new messages are posted/ten meters being open.

Thanks,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
ncphotos@gmail.com,

Charles - 10 meters is open to somewhere most every day of the year.  You can use a 11 meter radio as a prime example.
If you can hear people talking on 11 meters, then 10 meters is open also.
The key is to find licensed people to talk to.

You can find more information about band openings from simple internet web sites such as Propnet or DX Summit - http://dxsummit.fi/Default.aspx
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 03:35:08 AM »

You can use a 11 meter radio as a prime example.
If you can hear people talking on 11 meters, then 10 meters is open also.

Why would you assume he has a CB radio???
HURRICAINE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »

N0IU - you are being combative.

I did not assume that he had a CB radio, I merely stated that he could use a 11 meter radio as a barometer.

At one time, you could go to most any Good Will or Salvation Army store and buy a used CB radio for as little as $5.00

The CB radio can be used as a learning tool.   I have lot's of CB radios.   You can take them apart and look at the circuits inside of them, you can practice soldering on their boards, you can buy a broken one and try to fix it, you can even recrystal one and convert it to 10 meters for not a lot of money.

Some such as the Pierce Simpsons included Slide - which allowed the operator to slide between channels.  It allows you to tune it a little, and with some math, you can calculate the final frequency in the mixer after upgrading the crystals.

Some higher quality CB's such as the Cobra 2000 even came with a digital frequency counter.   They aren't real hard to convert to 10 meters if you know what you are doing!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »

N0IU - you are being combative.

I did not assume that he had a CB radio, I merely stated that he could use a 11 meter radio as a barometer.

At one time, you could go to most any Good Will or Salvation Army store and buy a used CB radio for as little as $5.00

The CB radio can be used as a learning tool.   I have lot's of CB radios.   You can take them apart and look at the circuits inside of them, you can practice soldering on their boards, you can buy a broken one and try to fix it, you can even recrystal one and convert it to 10 meters for not a lot of money.

Some such as the Pierce Simpsons included Slide - which allowed the operator to slide between channels.  It allows you to tune it a little, and with some math, you can calculate the final frequency in the mixer after upgrading the crystals.

Some higher quality CB's such as the Cobra 2000 even came with a digital frequency counter.   They aren't real hard to convert to 10 meters if you know what you are doing!
    Interesting point.  I have converted a few old tube type CB radios to 10 Meter operation in the past.  I usually keep one on in the shack to let me know when 10 is open.  By the way, several hams actually use a free internet radio chat service to let each other know when 10 is open so they can link up over the air.  If you'd like to join them, the site is at:  http://www.cbradiochat.net  and it can be accessed from a smartphone or tablet.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »

If you want 10 meters to be open call CQ! Dont be a internet surfing ham who sits on the internet  while listening to band like many hams. These same hams then complain that the bands are dead. 10 meters has been open  both on long and short paths and  too many places where long path was not that reliable. This cycle has  had many openings with both long and short path occurring simultaneously more so than other cycles  and even the best sunspot cycles.

The bands are open its just hams dont call  CQ like they used to in past years.
W4YAT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 03:42:57 AM »

I usually make several DX contacts on any Saturday that I have time to play radio.  I have a Yaseu FT-450 and a Buddistick vertical on a camera tripod outside of my home office window.  Europe early in the morning, South America and Mexico later in the day and west coast domestic contacts later in the afternoon.  The band comes and goes during the day, but if you stay with it, there's a lot of potential for DX.  Don't call CQ unless you've got some time to work the pileup.

Have fun on 10 Meters
Barry
10-10 -76,970
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »

I usually make several DX contacts on any Saturday that I have time to play radio.  I have a Yaseu FT-450 and a Buddistick vertical on a camera tripod outside of my home office window.  Europe early in the morning, South America and Mexico later in the day and west coast domestic contacts later in the afternoon.  The band comes and goes during the day, but if you stay with it, there's a lot of potential for DX.  Don't call CQ unless you've got some time to work the pileup.

Have fun on 10 Meters
Barry
10-10 -76,970
Hi Barry,

I don't have much luck calling CQ. But when I hear someone I try to work them.
I caught a get opening a few nights ago it started around 00:25 UTC and was still open when I went to bed at 04:30 UTC (12:30AM EST).
I got to work several TX & FL stations that I had not heard in a long time.
I hope to work you on ten soon.

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: