Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Under utilized morse code programs for unlicensed amateur radio students.  (Read 82190 times)
KB9CFH

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

CwCom by MRX software is a program that lets a user send morse code from computer to computer. Would be useful for unlicensed students to practice on, and also for classes and situations that don't allow radios and antennas.
Super Aldis 3 is a training program that works like the flashlights with the code button. The program doesn't have much in the way of a help file but you can import text files and if you have some patience, you may be able to get it to work from computer to computer if you have IP address.
Morse Cat 2 is a training program that can generate its own lessons or will import text files. Good for learning sets and then working into random sending and words.
Winmorse 2 is a program that takes text files and converts them into morse code audio files. Good for taking short conversations and turning them into sound.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:45:02 PM by KB9CFH » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »

I remember as a kid I had a pair of Walkie Talkies which had built in code practice oscillators and a list of Morse code characters right on the units!  I had lots of fun learning the letters with my friend down the street.  It would be nice if they had something like that today for the kids!
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »

I remember as a kid I had a pair of Walkie Talkies which had built in code practice oscillators and a list of Morse code characters right on the units!  I had lots of fun learning the letters with my friend down the street.  It would be nice if they had something like that today for the kids!

Ask and you shall receive.

http://youtu.be/1kdmTu8MCio

There really is no excuse for anyone wanting to learn code.  The problem is not the availability of programs to get it done, but motivating kids to want to do it.  I have a sign on the wall of my classroom that reads, "It is not a shame not to know, but it is a shame not wanting to know."  My biggest issue is getting the kids motivated.  Now I am talking in generalities here.  I have a good number of awesome kiddos who do what they are suppose to do and really enjoy learning new things.  For them natural curiosity is no problem.  Unfortunately a good number of others just come to school to get away from home and to socialize.  Oh well, we do what we can do.

Happy New Year to all.

Tom
AE5QB
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »

I think the only way to get new hams involved in CW , is to add a voice interface, just like PSK/31 operators some time use.
It would be Morse code sent, letting operators cope it by ear,keyboard or machine. Note: it seems that most PSX/31 operators are now using prearranged type messages for the entire QSO, very very dull ,and killing off its popularity.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »

There really is no excuse for anyone wanting to learn code.  The problem is not the availability of programs to get it done, but motivating kids to want to do it.  I have a sign on the wall of my classroom that reads, "It is not a shame not to know, but it is a shame not wanting to know."  My biggest issue is getting the kids motivated.  Now I am talking in generalities here.  I have a good number of awesome kiddos who do what they are suppose to do and really enjoy learning new things.  For them natural curiosity is no problem.  Unfortunately a good number of others just come to school to get away from home and to socialize.  Oh well, we do what we can do.

Happy New Year to all.

Tom
AE5QB
   Do you really want to get them interested in radio (IMHO)?  Pick up a few old CB radios on Ebay.  As a homework assignment, lend them out to the kids who live close to each other, and tell them to try to communicate with each other from their homes using a 9 foot piece of wire, and then to report their results back to class.  (You might want to set up a CB at your QTH to communicate with them as well)  I think if they can just experience the magic of radio first hand, they will be hooked!  (Happened to a lot of us that way.)  Smiley
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »

Yes!  I had Archer (RS) walkie talkies with the morse buttons - lots of fun.  I think those things were 49MHz.   I remember them ranging a few houses down.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »

A few houses down?  Mine were so bad that we had to pick up the phone and tell our buddies to turn on their talkies and go outside so we could hear each other.  The ironic thing is that we could yell across the yards to each other - "Can you hear me now!"  What was the point - Having fun!  We thought we were high tech and really cool - like James  Bond or remember "The Men from UNCLE?"  If we had only trademarked that phrase we could probably be rich now.  How much power did those walkie talkies put out?
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »

A few houses down?  Mine were so bad that we had to pick up the phone and tell our buddies to turn on their talkies and go outside so we could hear each other.  The ironic thing is that we could yell across the yards to each other - "Can you hear me now!"  What was the point - Having fun!  We thought we were high tech and really cool - like James  Bond or remember "The Men from UNCLE?"  If we had only trademarked that phrase we could probably be rich now.  How much power did those walkie talkies put out?
  Mine were 100 milliwatts, and I think the crystals were for CH 14 on the CB band.  We got pretty good range, especially when we went to a high floor or on a rooftop.  I remember chatting with another WT about 6 blocks away when the channel was quiet.  After that, and after hearing all the other kids in the area chatting on their 5 Watt CBs, I just had to get one!  Then, like so many of us, the next place up from CB was Ham radio.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

Yep, I definitely meant outside range.   I have no idea how much power they had, but I'm guessing just about nothing.  No volume control on mine so you couldn't go stealth.  I remember going through those red Radio Shack 9V batteries like they were water.  I had a Radio Shack "Battery Club" card.   This was in the early 80's.   
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Yep, I definitely meant outside range.   I have no idea how much power they had, but I'm guessing just about nothing.  No volume control on mine so you couldn't go stealth.  I remember going through those red Radio Shack 9V batteries like they were water.  I had a Radio Shack "Battery Club" card.   This was in the early 80's.   
    I had that wonderful Radio Shack "9 Volt Battery Eliminator"!  A slight hum, but hardly noticeable.  Had the WT set up as a base station, and constantly experimented with antennas that I would clip onto the WT's telescoping whip!  I'll never forget the thrill when I made that first long distance "DX" contact, a whopping 5 blocks away! Smiley
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »

Hey, I'm sure that 5 block contact was long path.......
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:40:51 PM by K3WEC » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »

Hey, I'm sure that 5 block contact was long path.......
  To tell you the truth, I always wondered if my signal was being reflected somewhat.  I remember it would jump up and down whenever the elevated trains rolled by a few blocks away!  Smiley
W5TTW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 01:15:22 PM »

We thought we were high tech and really cool - like James  Bond
Those days were fun, kids today have more technology at their fingertips than James Bond ever had.  (And better weapons, too.)  Why would they want to play with CW when they can be Luke Skywalker in a role playing game on their computer? 

Times changed, we didn't.  No big deal.  Its the way of things. 
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »

Create a CW interface to a cool game that would give them SUPER powers.  They WILL learn the code then!!  Wink
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »

Happy New Year to all.

Tom
AE5QB
  Last year I was eavesdropping on a couple fifth-grade boys in one of the classes where I help out three days a week as a volunteer.  Their little conversation consisted only of whispered "dits" and "dahs" at about 5WPM.  I broke in and asked them  (in like manner)  to please see me after class.  They're in their last year at Esquire Hills Elementary this year, and both licensed Generals.  And they both run CW with excellent fists.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: