Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lets play... whats in my attic  (Read 1176 times)
KD2BHP

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:07 PM »

I am a new ham (just got my tech & general two weeks ago). We bought our home about 10 years ago. The roof is rectangular hipped roof. At the top of the roof there is a fine coper wire the spirals around a half a dozen times or so and connects to the main plumbing stack with both ends of the wire... I assume this was used as an antenna or something by a previous owner...

so first does is sound like an antenna? how did they use it? attach wires to the stack in the basement or something... without measuring the wire is there a way to find out what frequency the wire was cut for?

if it's not an antenna I always assumed it was used to keep the aliens from reading their minds...

thanks
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »

I'd go with the latter explanation.  It doesn't sound like any usable antenna that I've
encountered, though it is possible that, if the plumbing stack was used as a "long wire"
from the basement, the added wire increased the effective length of it.

There are certainly types of loop antennas that you could string up in the attic, but
a single turn loop will generally work better than one with multiple turns for what you
want to do.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »

I am a new ham (just got my tech & general two weeks ago). We bought our home about 10 years ago. The roof is rectangular hipped roof. At the top of the roof there is a fine coper wire the spirals around a half a dozen times or so and connects to the main plumbing stack with both ends of the wire... I assume this was used as an antenna or something by a previous owner...

so first does is sound like an antenna? how did they use it? attach wires to the stack in the basement or something... without measuring the wire is there a way to find out what frequency the wire was cut for?

if it's not an antenna I always assumed it was used to keep the aliens from reading their minds...

thanks
    How old is the home?  You might want to find out who the previous owner(s) were, and try to contact them.  You can do a search for the past owners of your home at the local land records office.   I remember a few years back when a new owner found a completely intact 1920s ham radio station in his attic!  It had been untouched for like 50 years!  I believe it was featured in QST about 10 years or so ago.
KD2BHP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

thanks
    How old is the home?  You might want to find out who the previous owner(s) were, and try to contact them.  You can do a search for the past owners of your home at the local land records office.   I remember a few years back when a new owner found a completely intact 1920s ham radio station in his attic!  It had been untouched for like 50 years!  I believe it was featured in QST about 10 years or so ago.

the house was built in 1942... other then old newspapers from the 50's there's nothing in the attic...but next spring I think I am going to pull the old insulation out replace it and lay plywood down for storage... so I guess I will find out then Smiley The owners that lived here the longest (from 42 to 94) passed away... we are the third owners...
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »

thanks

the house was built in 1942... other then old newspapers from the 50's there's nothing in the attic...but next spring I think I am going to pull the old insulation out replace it and lay plywood down for storage... so I guess I will find out then Smiley The owners that lived here the longest (from 42 to 94) passed away... we are the third owners...
  Well it is certainly possible that there might have been a ham in there during that time.  Can you reach the last owners?  If you really want to play detective, you could check if there were ever any ham call signs registered at that address.  Either way, I would not mess around with anything that is there.  Are you in a HOA restricted community?  If not, then get a nice antenna outside, and just forget the darn attic!  Think dipoles, verticals, and maybe even a big tower with some nice beams! Smiley
KD2BHP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »

thanks

Well it is certainly possible that there might have been a ham in there during that time.  Can you reach the last owners?  If you really want to play detective, you could check if there were ever any ham call signs registered at that address.  Either way, I would not mess around with anything that is there.  Are you in a HOA restricted community?  If not, then get a nice antenna outside, and just forget the darn attic!  Think dipoles, verticals, and maybe even a big tower with some nice beams! Smiley

can you look up past hams call signs... my grandfather was a ham but passed away 25 years ago... would love to know his call sign...

I probably won't use it for anything... but I always wondered what the wire it... I figured it was for broadcast radio or maybe tv or something... the fact that it was connected to the plumbing stack was weird... I'm not rulling out aliens  Grin
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »

thanks

can you look up past hams call signs... my grandfather was a ham but passed away 25 years ago... would love to know his call sign...

I probably won't use it for anything... but I always wondered what the wire it... I figured it was for broadcast radio or maybe tv or something... the fact that it was connected to the plumbing stack was weird... I'm not rulling out aliens  Grin
   I believe there is a ham who keeps old call books who might be able to help you, but I don't recall his name offhand.  You might want to post some info. about your grandfather in the lost hams section of eham, and see if any of the old timers on here remember him!  By the way, your wire problem could have been caused by something much worse than aliens.  At one time, your home may actually have been inhabited by CBers!!!!  Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: