Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any AB-952 or AB-577 Owners Out There?  (Read 852 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »

I have just purchased an AB-952 with an additional 4 mast sections. This means I will be able to get my A3S and G-450A rotator up to 56' from its current 30' level. HFTA says it will be a very serious improvement for 20M, which is my main goal, and decent improvement on 15 and 10M.

I plan on having the first 25' next to the house - and will build a special "guide bracket" and then will guy at the 35' and 50' levels with kevlar rope.

I have been told to put some silicone greese on each of the interlocking joints - to prevent them from "welding" together. This is a semi-permanent installation.

If you have one of these Military Surplus masts, do you have any receommendations?
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Well, I put up an AB-577 once, so I know what you are talking about.  For a permanent installation - boy, I don't know, that's aluminum iirc - I wonder if there is a specific grease that would work best for that - or are the clamp sections steel?  The clamps are steel for sure.

Penetrox A would work on the aluminum for sure, although it's rather expensive compared to a moly based lubricating grease - which would probably work just as well.

All you really want to do is prevent it from siezing - so you need for sure to lube the clamp moving parts as well.

All I know is that you would hate to have to take it down every six months to lube it!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:20:14 AM »

I have my A3S on a steel Channel Master push up pole now - and its only up 30' - so I am not getting the full benefit of the yagi. I'm getting tired of standing on the edge of my roof raising and lowering that thing with the rotator and antenna on it. I'm just old enough where it is starting to feel dangerous - heh heh.

I experiment with antennas so much - if I could just keep my hands off of them for 6 months, that would be a record.

I also don't want a "real" tower - because I want to take this with me when I move, and I might have to move a couple of times in the next 10 years.

Luckily - we only get one or two wind storms a year, no snow or ice, and only 21" of rain a year.

Someone recommended the grease they use in car doors.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »

I'm just commenting::::: We had one of those beauties for Y2K.........remember that fiasco??
What a great idea to get something up 50 feet.
Amazing what two people can do to raise up a 50 foot pole.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: