Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E44PM big pile ups  (Read 9196 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 06:39:04 AM »

I was a supporter of the E44PM dx-pedition, and thank Peri for making the trek and activating E4. I did not work him, but had emailed him before the DX-pedition and found that he is a very nice fellow, and I know he did his best. He gives me hope that maybe E4 won't be as rare or hard to activate as in the past. I mean - he was in Bethlehem!

I never heard him well enough for a Q - but there were enough Northern California DX-ers who did - and this just confirms what I already knew - that I need to improve my antenna system.

Next week I am raising my A3S from 30' to 56', and a nested 17/12M Moxon will go up 42'. My 40' "Tee Hatted Vertical" with 64 buried radials will handle the low bands. Four AB-952 mast sections were delivered via UPS from Maryland yesterday, and tomorrow I pick up the other 35', plus the "launcher". So - Santa is bringing me a big olive drab "Festivus Pole"!
You should see this system - or the AB-577, they are really awesome.

He only had 100 watts and a vertical, which means the "onus" was on me to have an antenna system that did most of the work. Even the big guns that I know who worked him with their much better antenna systems had to work to get their Q.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »

Nary a peep into my neck of the woods. I can hear the pileups ok (loud and wide) but no E44 at all. Sure wish I could hear and work them as I need E44 for a new one. Guess I must be one of the very few who don't have them according to previous posts Sad

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2011, 10:37:58 AM »

"He only had 100 watts and a vertical, which means the "onus" was on me to have an antenna system that did most of the work. Even the big guns that I know who worked him with their much better antenna systems had to work to get their Q."

I have worked many DX-peditions this year with similar antennas, and power. He just needed to stay on a band long enough to have propagation into most parts of the world. Pointed out several times here by several, he just didn't stay on 12 15 or 20 to have good propagation into the middle US. His 20 meters was nearly nil. 20 used to be the DX band.

So his final remarks are up and he is pleased he gave out 1000 W/K QSO's and 5000 EU. Half the 1000 were to the top 200 NA stations.

Is the Malpelo operation going to the clublog contest too ?

I don't need it for a new one, but maybe I can get them 10+ times mobile. I'll set that as a personal challenge. Too bad I don't have digital to add to the QSO count.
73 and good DX to all
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »

I think Malpelo will be like K5D. At least I sure hope so . . . .
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »

E4X and E44PM comparisons.

Interesting. The same big stations in any continent making the same band/mode QSO's.

Yep it's all about ego. Not "new one", not even band fill.

E4X log/stats
http://www.dxfriends.com/e4x/data/

E44PM
http://www.clublog.org/charts/?c=E44PM#r
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »

listened for about 25 hours waiting for signals to come up. He'd either leave way before any hopeful propogation, or just not be on any band capable of my medium station to hear him, let alone work him. Never heard him once.

Oh well, life goes on  Wink
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

listened for about 25 hours waiting for signals to come up. He'd either leave way before any hopeful propogation, or just not be on any band capable of my medium station to hear him, let alone work him. Never heard him once.

Oh well, life goes on  Wink
Much the same here. I did hear him on 40M first night and in/out on 30M another night. The daytime was just wrong band or too early. I had even sent an email detailing recent DX conditions into central U.S. a few days before he left HB9. Which was acknowledged, but the info was not placed into practice.

Well we can chase another E4 later. Maybe a larger operation.
73 N5UD
E44PM

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »

Dear friends. Thanks for all the hints and remarks. I sincerely hope to work those of you who need E4 next time. I am a DXer myself, 99,5 % of the time, so I know what it means to chase DX in the pile.

The reality of a DXpedition (single) op is quite different, though. There are operating decisions to take almost all of the time. I have spent a lot of time working W6/7 and JA as well as VK. Many EU stns jammed me for that for hours, but I stood tall, since it was my goal to serve these regions boldly. I even had to go unusual paths like 30 m at 02 local in order to work W6/7 - lack of EU propagation made it possible. But you have to try and to try again to find these paths, nothing is for granted during a 6 days DXpedition.

During the usual DX path openings, the EU cops, jammers and bad ops gave me a hard time to even hear DX. They even jammed my rx qsx heavily. Nevertheless, I tried to serve DX as well as EU. After all, there are a lot of EU needing E4 for a new one. To keep the proper balance is crucial.

Please have a look at my daily write-ups during the DXpedition (www.hb9iqb.ch/palestine.html), there might be some infos relating to your questions. Thank you very much for your support. Keep the spirits high.

Vy 73 de Peri, HB9IQB, E44PM

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:08:52 AM by E44PM » Logged
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

Just for fun I looked at REAL W5 and W6. About equal it seems for stations worked. Why not more W5's ? It is the largest district east - west in the USA. 1250 miles across it from Miss to N.M. A greater distance than from Hamburg to Moscow ! Not much less than Paris to Moscow.

Then I checked the big guns logs with E44PM and E4X from previous year.

Just confirms my earlier post here. E G O !!! Just repeated QSO's band slots.

I sure am glad this is a gentleman's hobby.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »

Interesting. The same big stations in any continent making the same band/mode QSO's.

E4X log/stats

E44PM

I am sorry. This just gets my goat. It is hard for me to get my mind around.
Whether it is US or EU big guns, why do you need to work the same country over and over,
while many want just ONE QSO ?

73 Tony N5UD

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

E4X log/stats

E44PM

I am sorry. This just gets my goat. It is hard for me to get my mind around.
Whether it is US or EU big guns, why do you need to work the same country over and over,
while many want just ONE QSO ?

73 Tony N5UD

Well I can understand working them for a new band country, but when you worked them repeatedly using the same band and mode, then it's just ego and bragging. There are many times when I could work other stations repeatedly but refrain if it's a pileup on a semi-rare or hard to work entity for those on the East Coast. No need to add to the QRM and besides, I hope that some of you give us the same consideration when we are trying to work the hard ones in Africa Smiley

BTW, I didn't work E44PM either. Seems like when I was able to get on he was on 40 meters or some other band where I wouldn't hear a peep out of him. Oh well, maybe next time.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:20:19 PM by K7KB » Logged
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

BTW, I didn't work E44PM either. Seems like when I was able to get on he was on 40 meters or some other band where I wouldn't hear a peep out of him. Oh well, maybe next time.

John K7KB
[/quote]

I had emails with Peri before and after the opeartion. This is part of December 4 email to him.
"30M is better than 40M ! This is usually a good DX band."

After return, he says 30M is where he worked west coast, and largely because it skipped over EU jammers.
I think he was on 30M just the last day there.

That's another "it beats me".

73 Tony N5UD /M
WA4IIF

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

I was able to work E44PM once, but that was enough for me. It was a new country for me. By the way, I've received E44PM QSL confirmation via LOTW.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: