Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's going on?? ?  (Read 476 times)
W4QDX

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:57:11 PM »

Hello all!
I'm a new ham, and have a lot to learn. I have been operating some CW, mostly with a cheap straight key from my practice osc. I recently set up my Kent paddle with Logikit CMOS4 keyer.
Numerous times, when I get in and call CQ using the keyer, I get strange responses, usually question marks. I'm a bit sloppy with the keyer, but not all that bad, listening to my side tone. But something must be up. I'm wondering if I have something wrong in my "break" setup. I have a 706 and have been operating semi break-in. When I was using my staight key, if I remember correctly, I had the delay set at 7 or 8 dits. Since I set up the keyer, I've had it set at 5 dits. Is there possibly some problem with the way I have the break-in set up? Should I operate full break-in? I have had only one successful QSO with the keyer so far. I really don't remember for sure how I had the break-in set up at that time. I haven't had this happen when I'm using the straight key.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Colt, W4QDX
N6PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 04:54:31 PM »

Colt,
It doesn't sound like a break-in problem.  It does sound like the keyer is not set up correctly.  If you can, read the instructions carefully and reset the keyer back to the default settings.  Then start over.

That keyer is a pretty good piece of gear too.
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 05:13:53 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure if you are using an external keyer or the one built in the 706.  If external is used you need to disable the keyer in the 706 and set it for a straight key.  If you are using the internal keyer, just connect the paddle directly and go about setting the the unit according to manual.  My 706 does a very good job with the Bencher paddle.  Good luck.

cul,   Ray
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »

Not at all sure about YOUR rig, OM, but some of them have  keying shape that makes the code 'hard'.  That is, the dah's are not very long, compared to the dits. That is a little hard to copy.  My keyer permits me to set the 'weighting'... and I prefer 'soft' code... the dah's a little longer than the  'three times a dit' that they are supposed to be. Another thing is you can't trust a Side-Tone to tell you what you are putting on the air.. at least not mine. I have a monitor receiver, which I use for non-contest QSO's. I hear exactly what YOU would hear, of my signal. If you don't have that ability, I suggest you try to meet another ham at one QTH or the other, and listen to your own keying on his receiver.  "Semi-Break-in"... is something *I* have no good things to say about. I'd prefer a solid foot-switch for SEND/RECEIVE... but Full QSK above all else.  I'll probably be corrected, but I think that the Semi jazz came about with the first SSB/cw transceivers...where it was assumed you'd work more SSB than Music Mode. When I had a KWM-2, it took me all of one day to realize I hated it, and hooked up a Send/Receive switch...
KB6NU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »

Colt--

If you'd like to make a sked sometime on 40m, I could listen to your signal and help you figure out what's going on. Let me know....

73!

Dan KB6NU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: