Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your toughest 3 Zones to work?  (Read 14363 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

Zone 21 has some tough contenders: Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen! The Gulf states operators, Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, are the only sensible hopes there.

Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen;  NOT YET, NOT YET, NOT YET, NOT YET
Bahrain, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar; CONFIRMED, CONFIRMED, CONFIRMED, CONFIRMED

paul Grin

Yep....... same here Sad.   Gene
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »

You might pick up DU on 75 meters around your sunrise with your "T" antenna.

Also look at gray line into the East coast of Africa; look for the Megreb area at their sunrise.

Sometimes long path will open to the zones you are looking for but not short path.

Bob
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

I don't have 24 and judging by the Solar Flux numbers again regressing, I proabaly never will.....

BA7IO is zone 24 and is booming in to the mid-atlantic on 10M many mornings, and on 40M right around sunset too. And he confirms quickly via LOTW. Look for him on say reversebeacon.

BD6JJX is on 15M and 20M pretty often and also confirms by LOTW.

Tim.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »

The "Twilight Zone"

The "Erogenous Zone"

The "Combat Zone"

Smiley
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

I don't have 24 and judging by the Solar Flux numbers again regressing, I probably never will.

Don't give up yet. right now, SFI=127 & SN=133, that's better than a few days ago. If that USAF prediction has any likelihood,
January 4 & after will have SFI>160.

Yes, it would be nice to see it above 200. Again, I only have 10 meters, with no CW, so I watch this.

How do the rest of you get Zone 23?
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »

From G'land, #19 is generally the trickiest to get... still need it on 12m.

#6 was a real pain for me for a long time, and not helped by working plenty of W's who told me that they're a few hundred yards from the border! XE4 was very nearly my first #6, just got a mainland XE a few days before the 4A4A dxped. Since then, XE's worked all over the bands.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »

1. Zone 34
2. Zone 22
3. Zone 39

I had tried for years to get someone in India with my vertical and finally succeeded working VU2NKS on RTTY of all modes. Then shortly after, worked ST2AR in Sudan to complete my mixed WAZ. By far, getting the WAZ award is much more difficult to achieve than DXCC. I recently put up a 3 element Steppir at 72 feet so that should help, but it's still not easy getting some of those zones.

John K7KB
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

Wait till you start going for 5BWAZ! You don't know what hard is.

paul
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »

24 and 26....Have 26, but both qsos  I had to scream for (Laos and Thailand).....I don't have 24 and judging by the Solar Flux numbers again regressing, I proabaly never will..... Cry Cry Cry Cry.....I wish I knew why these parts of the world are so difficult from the northeast....I just don't get it!......

V
KA3NRX

I hope you are joking since you've been an Extra Class ham as long as I (about 23 years).  That path is right over the pole and the ham population is sparse - in case you were not joking.  Zone 26 is my toughest.  I need Burma and Spratly from 26 but have worked all the others.  Laos was pounding in on 15 meters not too long ago.

There have been long path openings to Southern China and Hong Kong on 10 Meters around 1500 UTC the past couple of days.  It's a crooked long path (about 150 degrees from here in MA).  I'd love to see the area expanded but so far just the South China coast. Signals have been as high as 599 or 59.

Chris/NU1O
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »

I need Burma and Spratly from 26 but have worked all the others.

With 6 nations making territorial claims to Spratly, and 5 of those with some troops there, that could be a problem. Burma(Myanmar) seems to have political issues that spill over into hamming.

Andaman & Nicobar Islands is on the top 100 list, you did well in getting that, so are Vietnam & Laos.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:53 AM »

24 and 26....Have 26, but both qsos  I had to scream for (Laos and Thailand).....I don't have 24 and judging by the Solar Flux numbers again regressing, I proabaly never will..... Cry Cry Cry Cry.....I wish I knew why these parts of the world are so difficult from the northeast....I just don't get it!......

V
KA3NRX

Vince, difficult but certainly not impossible. I am in MD, not far from you. I worked both of them EASILY in April of last year on 20CW with a 30 foot high dipole (with far fewer sunspots). Have not heard either of them since then. I think the Equinox has alot to do with it. Same thing for the BY stations in zone 24, they were easy in the Spring in the evening on 15CW on my dipole, it has been very difficult to work any BY stations in summer/fall. I just don't see how I am going to get these zones on 80, but that is something I have years to worry about.

paul
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 06:04:46 AM »

V
KA3NRX

I hope you are joking since you've been an Extra Class ham as long as I (about 23 years).  That path is right over the pole and the ham population is sparse - in case you were not joking.  Zone 26 is my toughest.  I need Burma and Spratly from 26 but have worked all the others.  Laos was pounding in on 15 meters not too long ago.

There have been long path openings to Southern China and Hong Kong on 10 Meters around 1500 UTC the past couple of days.  It's a crooked long path (about 150 degrees from here in MA).  I'd love to see the area expanded but so far just the South China coast. Signals have been as high as 599 or 59.

Chris/NU1O

I am not joking.....and do tell, what does license class have to do with anything?Huh
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:15:07 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »

V
KA3NRX

Vince, difficult but certainly not impossible. I am in MD, not far from you. I worked both of them EASILY in April of last year on 20CW with a 30 foot high dipole (with far fewer sunspots). Have not heard either of them since then. I think the Equinox has alot to do with it. Same thing for the BY stations in zone 24, they were easy in the Spring in the evening on 15CW on my dipole, it has been very difficult to work any BY stations in summer/fall. I just don't see how I am going to get these zones on 80, but that is something I have years to worry about.

paul

Paul:

Every time I heard Jimmy in Tiawan, I would scream and scream and scream for him....and I just can't get through....this is WITHOUT a pile up.....My system is like yours...Dipole 30 ft in the air barefoot....the same applies for BD7JXX or what ever his call is, and this is on CW sometimes too......it's frustrating....but like you, the qsos that I do have to 26 were in the spring (of this year and in 2002)....Tell ya another story...many years ago I heard a station on 17m CW calling CQ....the station was in Hong Kong....This was pre 1997, before Hong Kong went back to the Chinese....I called and called and called ad nauseam, but again I got no response....With again, no one else around....I was sick for a week over that, especially because I knew that in whatever time was left, it was no longer going to be a British colony.......Indonesia was no problem....India was no problem....between the two???...Problems!....again, I just don't get it....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:13:07 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »

Every time I heard Jimmy in Tiawan, I would scream and scream and scream for him....and I just can't get through....this is WITHOUT a pile up.....My system is like yours...Dipole 30 ft in the air barefoot....the same applies for BD7JXX or what ever his call is, and this is on CW sometimes too......it's frustrating....but like you, the qsos that I do have to 26 were in the spring (of this year and in 2002)....Tell ya another story...many years ago I heard a station on 17m CW calling CQ....the station was in Hong Kong....This was pre 1997, before Hong Kong went back to the Chinese....I called and called and called ad nauseam, but again I got no response....With again, no one else around....I was sick for a week over that, especially because I knew that in whatever time was left, it was no longer going to be a British colony.......Indonesia was no problem....India was no problem....between the two???...Problems!....again, I just don't get it....

The path is tough, the absorption over the pole is huge.  Some of the big guns in Asia live in big cities and have high noise levels.  I've noticed is that the path to Asia from W3 is basically the ONLY time you'll regularly notice a few dB deficiency in an antenna pattern or power output.  It's the time when making small changes can make a big difference.  I ran 100W for a long time and for the bands above 80m, the times I didn't get through "in the clear" were to these tough zones.    It's no mystery, they're the most difficult paths and one of the rare instances where you need every last drop of 100W+dipole or small beam  ERP sent in their direction (at least on 20 & 17) and from time to time, you really need a kW ERP to get back to the weak ones because they're running a kW and right on the margin of copy.

Things are better on 10, 12, and 15 when the band is open but if you're still running just a G5RV it might be a bit too lobey to do well into Asia.  That doesn't mean you won't HEAR the stations, but if they're running a kW and you're running 100W you might hear them and not be able to get back.

It doesn't matter if you get back to everyone else on the planet ... tons of paths have way more than 10dB "surplus" signal even at the 100W level.  But that doesn't always have to happen... it's pretty clear from my experience that I hear a kW Asian station and they're 5dB above my noise floor and I'm 5dB below theirs Grin

I did pretty well from Erie, PA in decent sunspot times with 100W to a 30 foot high A3S especially on 15m, and I've been doing okay here with homemade beams on 20 thru 12m.  It is still hard.  I have 400W now which helps.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 04:37:40 AM »

I'm sitting here right in the middle of zone 26 and so it's very interesting to read that I'm in a sought-after location Smiley

Most afternoons, I'll drive to the nearby beach for some mobile DX.  Some of the loudest stations I hear are from China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam etc - the locations that many in this thread would love to contact.

And of course, I hear the weak stations from NA that I want to QSO with!

I've been working mobile due to my new QTH (airport hotel) being built.  But right now I'm constructing a hex-beam which will be installed atop my QTH mast on 4th January 2012.

So - with a lot of luck and even more operating skill, perhaps 2012 will enable me to provide you with a zone 26 (and IOTA AS-053) QSO

Simon
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: