Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your toughest 3 Zones to work?  (Read 14060 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »

I am not joking.....and do tell, what does license class have to do with anything?Huh

In your case license class obviously has nothing to do with Amateur Radio knowledge but there was a time when any Extra Class Amateur knew why the East Coast to the zones in Asia are difficult paths to work. 

My advice to you would be the buy one of George Jacobs' books on propagation.

Chris/NU1O
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »

The bottom 25khz CW band segments have the absolute, hands down important segments as far as trying to get to DXCC Honor Roll.

All of the most rare entities that I have were worked in the bottom 25 khz of the CW band - usually 40, 30 or 20M.

So for me, having the Extra Class License was a requirement. I couldn't imagine playing the DXCC game without it.

Of course, you can have fun DX-ing without it though - it depends on what your interest is and what your goals are.

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »

I am not joking.....and do tell, what does license class have to do with anything?Huh

In your case license class obviously has nothing to do with Amateur Radio knowledge but there was a time when any Extra Class Amateur knew why the East Coast to the zones in Asia are difficult paths to work.  

My advice to you would be the buy one of George Jacobs' books on propagation.

Chris/NU1O

Yeah yeah yeah....I got my Extra Class license out of a Cheerios box....Dude...I find your comment to be highly indignant, and I only stop to inform you that when I held my General Class (which at one point in history I was content to go to the grave with), I worked a ton of DX (including my first qso to India), mostly on 10 meters, and on CW...probably before you even picked up a study guide or code key........Just say'n.....Since you seem to be the guy with all of the answers, why is the East Coast to the Asian zones a difficult path to work?....Let's hear it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:02:01 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »

Since you seem to be the guy with all of the answers, why is the East Coast to the Asian zones a difficult path to work?....Let's hear it.

It's already been spelled out in this thread, more than once.

paul
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33:40 AM »

interesting thread. I think the issue is timing. The past 3 days 10am-12pm est the 20 meter band has been booming short path from NA to thailand.  From 7pm-9pmest it is long path 20metet but when the spots are up its short path to the west coast.    Honestly it is almost impossible with a dipole.   73s   hs0zju
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »

interesting thread. I think the issue is timing. The past 3 days 10am-12pm est the 20 meter band has been booming short path from NA to thailand.  From 7pm-9pmest it is long path 20metet but when the spots are up its short path to the west coast.    Honestly it is almost impossible with a dipole.   73s   hs0zju

You had a really nice signal earlier this month on 12m, Marc.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »

Honestly it is almost impossible with a dipole.   73s   hs0zju

YEP! That's part of the problem, we see spots from W3LPL saying 10 meters to BY/VR is open at 7am EST and guys like me with a dipole go there and hear ...  NOTHING.

But the point is EVEN WITH a yagi these are difficult zones in the East USA to work, with only a G5RV or another type of dipole they are that much more difficult (not impossible, of course, just more difficult).

paul
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

YEP! That's part of the problem, we see spots from W3LPL <snip>

paul

W3LPL has caught me more times daily than I care to remember. I use multiple screens for HIGH and WARC in one window, so I am always using the bottom slider to see who made the spot. Usually after I have listened to the noise trying to hear what was spotted.

9G5SI        2116Z   7012.0                                 W3LPL     
9G5SI        2116Z   7079.0                                 W3LPL     

Bad Robot.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »

Wait till you start going for 5BWAZ! You don't know what hard is.

paul

I didn't mention it because I doubt I will still be on this earth to complete 5BWAZ. I hope I can work that in my Bucket List, but it's not at the top either Smiley

John K7KB
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »

the band is open long path now 7:22pm est WG5G worked qrp
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:31:27 PM by HS0ZJU » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »

The bottom 25khz CW band segments have the absolute, hands down important segments as far as trying to get to DXCC Honor Roll.

All of the most rare entities that I have were worked in the bottom 25 khz of the CW band - usually 40, 30 or 20M.

So for me, having the Extra Class License was a requirement. I couldn't imagine playing the DXCC game without it.

Of course, you can have fun DX-ing without it though - it depends on what your interest is and what your goals are.

Getting the Extra Class band segments was also my biggest edge when it came to working the real rare ones.

Chris/NU1O
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »

Just playing around tonight with DXLab's DXKeeper (9.9.7):

I have absolutely no QSO's with zones 2, 24, and 36.

I would have had no knowledge that I had all but 3.

Fun stuff.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

All three are fairly easy in one way or the other. Zone 2 is dirt simple to work when you know one is on. There's always a team up there for CQWW-CW and usually CQWW-SSB in the fall. Perhaps for ARRL-DX as well but I'm not sure. Look for anybody in VO2. There's a big-time DXer in Sept Isles Quebec as well, VE2TKH. Put his call in your alerts; he's also an active cluster user.

Zone 24 is on almost every day, and will be much, much easier to bag starting mid-March until mid-June. Plenty of BYs, BVs and Charlie VR2XMT in Hong Kong. There's a DXpedition to XX9 coming up as well.

Zone 36 is a tad trickier due to the rarity of the entities involved. If you'd worked the TN that was loud for the last two weeks that would have done the trick. Also there are a handful of guys on St. Helena (ZD7) that are active as well as ZD8 comes up on occasion. Your best bets on the African mainland will be D2 (I think there's someone there now or was last weekend), 3C and 3C0 in the coming DXpedition and I think I read that 9Q was supposed to get active this year as well. TL was on heavy all last year. There's also Brian, 9J2BO if you can hear him. He has a very distinctive fist on CW!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »

The bottom 25khz CW band segments have the absolute, hands down important segments as far as trying to get to DXCC Honor R

Yep, I keep seeing that on the spotter sites for 80, 40, 20, & 15.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »

All three are fairly easy in one way or the other. Zone 2 is dirt simple to work when you know one is on. There's always a team up there for CQWW-CW and usually CQWW-SSB in the fall. Perhaps for ARRL-DX as well but I'm not sure. Look for anybody in VO2. There's a big-time DXer in Sept Isles Quebec as well, VE2TKH. Put his call in your alerts; he's also an active cluster user.

Zone 24 is on almost every day, and will be much, much easier to bag starting mid-March until mid-June. Plenty of BYs, BVs and Charlie VR2XMT in Hong Kong. There's a DXpedition to XX9 coming up as well.

Zone 36 is a tad trickier due to the rarity of the entities involved. If you'd worked the TN that was loud for the last two weeks that would have done the trick. Also there are a handful of guys on St. Helena (ZD7) that are active as well as ZD8 comes up on occasion. Your best bets on the African mainland will be D2 (I think there's someone there now or was last weekend), 3C and 3C0 in the coming DXpedition and I think I read that 9Q was supposed to get active this year as well. TL was on heavy all last year. There's also Brian, 9J2BO if you can hear him. He has a very distinctive fist on CW!

Oops. I mistyped. I do have zone 36. It is zone 26 I am missing. 2, 24 and 26 are the zones I am missing.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: