Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: protecting computer keyboards  (Read 4380 times)
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »

This might have been suggested previously (if so I hadn't seen it) My old wired keyboard never did sober up after ingesting an adult beverage, so I replaced it with a new wireless. Not wanting to repeat what happened previously, I simply wrapped the new keyboard in Glad brand cling wrap. It's protected and everything is easy to see! Sometimes I simply amaze myself Grin

73 Dale
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »

cool...good idea..
but another good idea..
from a 28 year computer tech...keep a wired keyboard around for when the wireless does not
want to work.

kevin
k6rea
KD8RFT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

I saved a keyboard that took a pop by washing it in the dishwasher amd them letting it dry for about a week over the furnace heat vent. It was clean and worked like new.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »

wireless devices can be funny:    left my garage door opener in the pocket of my wranglers.  When the xyl put them in the washer and drier, the garage door began opening and closing on a random  basis....apparently when the  still damp jeans fell to the bottom of the drier in just a certain way.  We could hear the doors  operating and would look into the garage to see what it was.  Nothing!

Then  she took them out, nice and dry, and found the remote,  and called me in to say she had solved the problem of the mysterious garage door openinings!
N6FOG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »

I used to temp at a PC board manufacturer, and they used a regular dishwasher fed with deionized water to clean the water soluble flux off the finished boards. I still use distilled water and a good scrub with Dawn followed by a distilled water rinse and some time in the oven at 180* after a piece of electronics has been imbibing.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:16:17 AM »

There used to be a couple of companies that made overlay protectors for keyboards, but it seems that they closed up shop when keyboards became inexpensive to buy.  When you can get a replacement keyboard at a resale for three or four bucks, or new for ten, it doesn't make sense to buy a covering for it that costs more.

There again, there are so many different keyboard designs today with extra buttons, volume control dials and connectors that making such covers to protect them is next to impossible for one company.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: