Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig Runner location  (Read 1750 times)
WV4L

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:35 PM »

Greetings!

I am in the process of setting up my station at a new QTH. My last station was in a basement garage and the equipment was located on a work bench with a elevated shelf. My PS was located on a shelf below the work bench and I had mounted My Rig Runner distribution block above the PS on the bottom of the work bench.

At my new QTH I have a room with a desk on a corner wall. I brought the elevated shelf with me an still plan to use it. I currently have the PS under the shelf on the desktop for easy access to the power switch.  The Rig Runner distribution block could be mounted on the wall behind and to the side of the shelf. It could also be mounted on the side of the desk itself. I'm trying to make as clean an install as possible with out too much of a jungle of wire. I already have a 3 inch PVC coming through the wall near the back corner for my cable coming from outside so I don't want to get too much in that area.

Those who are using the power distribution blocks where have you been locating them? Ultimately I know It will be where ever it works best but I just wanted to seek some input.

Thanks in advance.

&

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Wayne C.
WV4L

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »

My thought on the subject is this--mount the power distribution block on the desk itself, not on the wall.  That way, if you have the need to pull that desk out from the wall, you'll not have to go through the process of disconnecting wiring, or tripping over wiring--and possibly yanking things off the desks or breaking connections--or even equipment--if you try to crawl back there for any reason.  

My den/work area has two desks, one for my main computer setup and paperwork and the second for my shack, auxiliary computer and electric/electronic/fix-it-station worktable.  Both desks have 110 volt electrical setups that have everything on each desk plug into power strips mounted on the back of the desk itself, and the shack desk also has the 12 volt power distribution system mounted there.  All the wiring in the back of each desk is tied back out of the way, and as a result the back area of each desk is way neater as well.  I have also put an easily accessible outlet box in the kneehole of each of the desks so I don't have to scrounge to plug things in that I don't use all the time.  

That way, if I have to pull either desk out to get at the back of them, one plug disconnects everything on the desk from the house current, and there is nothing hanging down or stretched across the access area--save the four coax antenna leads going to my equipment and the LAN connection at my shack desk and the single LAN connection at my other desk.  I find it a lot better that way--than having to hunt for one disconnected wire when you really don't have the time to do so!

73, and Happy Holiday season to you and yours!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:43:06 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: