Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 1500  (Read 1096 times)
KB0WZH

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:56 AM »

I have a problem I am a over the road driver and I can't use any electronic devises when moving (driving) in the truck. I still need my Ham fix when I stop so I was thinking about a 1500 and a Outbacker outreach 8 foot antenna all hooked to a rig blaster with my USB headset. I need to use low power as I have to hook up to the fuse box! Yes the fuse box, company policy.  Angry  Now what I wanted to do is hook to the battery so I can use my Alinco DX-70 TH. Sad So if ANYONE has any ideas let me know.

N. Lee Greger
kb0wzh@yahoo.com

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

What mode to you wish to use?  When I do portable I like digital.  Easy to set up and take down for me and very sfficient.
Randy
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »

Don't forget the computer! Well, being an over the road driver and a ham
etc. I'm betting you already have a laptop! The Flex 1500 is a good 5 watt
qrp rig. I use one here at home and it is fun. It's not a pileup buster, but,
does surprisingly well. I drive a rock truck locally and use a Kenwood TS-480SAT
for HF. Of course, I have it hooked up to the battery. (my boss is fairly lenient
when it comes to radios. (CB and Ham gear) If you are limited to qrp, there are
other choices that don't require a computer to use them. Elecraft, ICOM both offer
rigs that run 5 watts or less and put no strain on the battery system.
If you haven't experienced qrp, it may or may not, be fun. There WILL be times that
you can hear a station just fine that cannot quite hear you.
Maybe, you can talk your boss into letting you run a rig with a bit more power.
Good luck.
james
WD5GWY

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »

I got a flex 1500 used it for a while and sold it.  I would reccommend the yaesu FT 857, which is 2m/440/6m/ all hf, all mode. you can turn down the power so it doesn't drop so much  current.  about 22 amps wide open.  if you add an ATAS 120 to it you have one antenna for 440 mhz to 40 meters, and add a wire with  alligator  clip to use 80 m.  about 500 bucks used, or under  $800 new  and the antenna  from 100 bucks  used to 300  bucks new, no tuner necessary. mount in a box, add a mount to a set of Vice Grip pliers, and done.  hook it into the heater circuit which is usually 30 amps. you can get "cheater  fuses which let you stack  a second fuse in one  fuse socket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: