Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first numbers station(s)  (Read 9704 times)
N3PDT

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »

I like to say I'm doing my amateur radio hobby backwards. Got my first ticket in late 2009 and went staight to HF phone. Added an amp soon after. Then I learned code - on a paddle and keyer. Found the SKCC folks and switched to (mostly) straight key. After switching to straight key, I discovered QRP. Upon discovering QRP, I started building kits. Now I'm enjoying SWL, building crystal radios and eyeing a Trans-Oceanic DL600. What's next, spark gap?

So, as I mention, I'm enjoying SWL lately and night before last (06:30z 1/20/12), I'm twisting the dial and hear strong, crisp  CW on 5.800 at +30db, and fairly slow. I copy it for a while and see the five character groupings. Letters, not numbers, but they're not using the whole alphabet. About 10 letters, I'd say. Cut numbers I suppose? A little later that night, 07:11z, I hear the numbers "lady" on 5.882. Odd, almost song-like recitation, of 5 digit groupings in Spanish.

I caught the end of both broadcasts. The CW ended in ARARARAR ARARARAR, and the voice ended in six repetitions of "22402".

I know it's old hat to SWLs with a little experience, but so far, it's been about the neatest thing I've run across.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:06 AM »

Standard interpretation of that would be Cuba. Choice of 5800 kHz always seemed interesting to me, smack dab in the middle of SW broadcast band, hardly seems clandestine to me! Hiding in plain sight is perhaps some spy vs spy tactic that doesn't make sense to my everyday mind :-)
KA8VIT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »

Not a case of hiding in plain sight.

Cuba puts their numbers stations in this region to give their operatives
"plausible deniability" so they can say they have an SWL receiver to
listen to foreign news, etc.

The propagation is also good in the 5.8 MHz range to North America.

Google "Anna Montes" to learn more about one such spy caught red
handed.

73 - Bill KA8VIT
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »

Bill, thanks for the suggestion. Googled Montes, and went on to learn a lot about One Time Pad encryption. Very interesting stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: