Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-520 mic drive issues  (Read 2093 times)
NV1P

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:05:20 AM »

Hello,

I'm having problems with power output on sideband. The rig will put out a full 100W on CW no problem. However, when using a microphone I only get out about 10W. Even with the compressor/"DX mode" it only puts out 50W peak. The mic gain is all the way up. I've tried the Heil HC-4, a D104 with astatic element, and a 600ohm kenwood mic. All seem to drive the rig about the same. Am I missing something?

Sam
NV1P
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »

1.  What does the ALC meter indicate when you're talking on SSB?

2.  What are you using to measure power output?

Normally with a "typical" wattmeter, SSB output should read 25-30% of CW carrier power, on voice peaks with modulation.  That can easily represent "full" output power (100W PEP from a TS-520S) simply because meters can't follow modulation.

With a true PEP reading meter (or an oscilloscope) what reads 25W on a regular meter can easily read 100W, which is the real PEP power.

But never adjust the mike gain so high that the ALC meter on the 520S indicates above mid-scale in the "ALC" range, or you'll sound terrible on the air; and cranking the gain up higher will not produce more output power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: