Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Drake get back in?  (Read 2179 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Does anyone know, if Drake will/could get back into the ham radio market? Cool
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »

I sure doubt it.

They seem to be doing well doing exactly what they're doing, which doesn't involve amateur radio gear.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »

It would be very hard to compete price wise and establish a market today for them.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »

Maybe with an SW radio along with an QRP rig ,Just make the SW radio without the transmitter and the QRP rig with at he transmitter. Load them both full SDR goodies, and if don right it could be a start?

Note:Alinco, has did this with the DX-R8T/E ,RX radio and the DXSR8T/E ,TX, they list for $ 500.00 and $650.00.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:34:07 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »

Drake's business trajectory over the years follows the path of a number other companies.

1  Ham founds company based on interest in amateur radio.
2  Company manufactures (or sells) ham equipment because of interest of founder, but at the same time branches out.
3  Bean counters focus on more profitable activities.
4  Original owner/founder retires or dies.
5  Current owners/operators see no reason to devote resources to relatively meager ham business when money can produce more income invested elsewhere.
6.  Company ends amateur business, but continues on in other areas.

This scenario has repeated itself over and over.  Collins radio is classic example.  Even ETO/Alpha followed a similar path, although the ham amp business still exists.  The amp business (eventually) sold seperately to a small company in Boulder, while the more profitable part of the company went elsewhere.

As a kid, I worked for Klaus Radio in Peoria, IL.  Klaus was a major wholesale distributor for RCA/Whirlpool, but because the owner, Henry Klaus, was a ham, they also wholesaled ham equipment.  I still remember boxes and boxes of Yaesu HF transceivers stacked in the warehouse and Vibroplexes on the shelves.  Wow, it was like being in a bank vault, or Ft Knox!  When Henry retired, gone was the ham business, and the space was turned over to more profitable items.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:52:20 PM by K0RS » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »

They tried twice - and ultimately failed twice.

Drake's commercial and mil contracts are netting them a tidy sum these days, and I seriously doubt their management wishes to upset that particular apple cart.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »

No I don’t think they will. It would be easier for Ten-Tec to expand as an established company than Drake who has been out of the ham market for years.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

Would be cool to be able to buy a new TR-6.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: