Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Installer in Dallas/Fort Worth area?  (Read 2440 times)
KE6MGW

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2011, 01:50:35 AM »

I have recently moved and am trying to get all my equipment back on the air.  I am looking for an experienced antenna installer/elmer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  I have a Zero Five Vertical that I would like to get installed with someone that has either installed one of these antennas, or long time HAM with quite a bit of experience.  My home is single story home with NO POWER LINES above ground.  I simply just do not have enough time (and a horribly bad back.   Spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day flat on my back) to get the antenna in the ground.  But more importantly, I lack some of the technical expertise to make sure it I am doing it properly.

I am running a reversed antenna switch to a few different radios #1 Kenwood 2000, Astron power pup plies, Navigator PSK unit, PC computer, etc.  Unit #2 Kenwood 450SAT (basically just a CW radio), Unit #3 Random QRP rig,  Unit #4 Random receiver.

Installation would include....
1. Installing antenna support into ground (including digging hole and pouring concrete.  There is a man locally that will drill hole.)
2. Installing Zero Five antenna onto support
3. Install appropriate number of ground radials (I live on a 1 acre lot and have about 1/3-1/2 an acre to work with for ground radials.)
4. Running feed line/coax from antenna into home and to radio
4. Install a 2m yagi antenna either on roof or in attic (most likely in attic and on possible rotor) and verify functionality (I was just given this antenna by an SK's wife and have never used/installed before)
5. Verify SWR on both antennas and either install tuner or verify internal tuner is sufficient
6. Verify PSK unit is functioning properly
7. Any other issues that may rear its ugly head Smiley

I will obviously cover any expenses for necessary equipment, cables, wire, coax, etc.  As well as pay someone a reasonable fee for their time and expertise.  If I can answer any other questions please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.  My email is liprippa@yahoo.com  Please contact me at this address with any questions.

Thank you in advance,

Scott
KE6MGW
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:40:53 AM »

I think you should have written your letter to Santa earlier.

To get someone to do all those tasks CORRECTLY!!! and for  a  " REASONABLE "
amount is not going to be easy if possible.  Some of the tasks could be handled by
day labourers if they were carefully instructed and a couple of knowledgable hams
could handle some of the technical stuff.  But to expect to hire the whole job out
and you sit back and relax for a "reasonable" amount is probably dreaming.  There
are a lot of hams in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and a group of them might be
persuaded to do the job for a well known popular fellow ham, I think most would be
reluctant to undertake the task for a newcomer.
Good Luck and Happy New Year
Allen
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »

I would only add that "reasonable" is not a synonym for "inexpensive."  Smiley

I am in the DFW area as well so please let me know what you find!
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »

Just keep looking. Believe it or not there was a ham in the Dallas area that was selling antenna intallation service on Ebay. I tried to find the listing but it isn't on there now. Maybe someone around you will be familiar with him and put you in touch with him. I remember the "good old days" with hams helping hams, but I guess they are gone forever. After thinking a little more about it I think his call may be K5XG, but bI am not positive about that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:13:30 AM by K9XR » Logged
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »

Find local ham club in Dallas area - Texas has a boat load of ham operators.

Your project looks basic - a few guys from ham club would most likely help you for free.

Operated out of Dallas metro-plex back in the mid 80's - lived there for 3 years - call was N5MDM then.

73 K1WJ David
KE6MGW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »

I guess my main concern is proper installation of the antenna.  Last time i undertook the project i severely injured my back and I don't think I could adequately dig a hole and run the radials.

The inside work, I could get up and running on my own.  However, I guess I was hoping there might be a person out there that wouldn't mind looking over my shoulder. 

I am a self taught HAM with very little electronics background, so much of what I have done is trial and error.

I never suggested that reasonable was cheap.  Simply suggesting that reasonable is reasonable.  I am not expecting someone to do the work for free or a six pack of beer and some pizza.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »

I never suggested that reasonable was cheap.  Simply suggesting that reasonable is reasonable.  I am not expecting someone to do the work for free or a six pack of beer and some pizza.

Yes, I know.  My comment was directed at KA5N.

Wow, your back injury came from trying to do this before.   I can understand your need 100%.   Have you tried calling out on one of the Dallas area repeater "nets" for suggestions?   I'm guessing that there would be some hams that would enjoy setting things up for you.  Heck, I'd even help, although I doubt my "help" would be very constructive.   I've made a mess out of my own setup and it's not nearly as elaborate as what you've got planned. 
KE6MGW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:09:18 AM »

Yes when I was digging the hole I was bent over digging the hole and when I went to stand up I had to be rushed to the hospital.  Not good!

Scott
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »

You might give this guy a holler:
http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2697383659.html

He's in Jacksonville, 30 mi S of Tyler.

I'm looking for his Houston equivelant :-)

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:55:17 AM by AE5X » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: