Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Remote Desktop -- anyone use it?  (Read 1427 times)
WO7R

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »

It would appear to me that one way to manage remoteness is with what is built in -- Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Anyone use it?

I am getting to the point where I have a "mostly" remotable internet going at my site now.  I have TightVNC working between home and the shack (thanks to a very nice dual router setup my son set up).  I basically have "no hassle" VPN between them, so the remote site looks like just a separate subnet at home and vice-versa.

I added an exception rule for the remote Win 7 machine so that home and shack could talk to each other.  Seems to work for TightVNC, Ping, and what not.

Only thing it currently fails at is remote desktop.  Why?

I only have the exception going in one direction -- incoming at the shack site.  If I have to do the reverse, I don't know it and with Remote Desktop enabled on both sides, I should already have the relevant exceptions just for that.

If I can get it to work, I should be able to get sound going back and forth between them (the various "VNCs" don't support audio).

Seems simple enough.  What's the hangup? 
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »

What version of Windows are you running at the local machine?

Also, when you mention "incoming at the shack site," are you referring to the settings on the VPN router, or on the Windows Firewall on the remote site Win 7 PC?

If you configured the remote site as a different subnet, make sure that you've allowed your home subnet's IP range access through the firewall.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »

I am running Windows 7 on both sides.

I have it configured so that on the shack side that the Windows firewall accepts incoming requests from the entire home network.  An added rule for the Windows Firewall (shack side).  So, I should be able to run anything from home to the shack.  I could put the same rule in on the home side, but I don't see the need and have not (for now) elected to do so.

And, in fact, I now have TightVNC operational from home to the shack.  I also am able to access the routers, which are paired and establish the VPN between themselves (preconfigured).  That could be all I need except TightVNC doesn't handle the audio.

In addition, I have the little checkbox (on both sides) marked specifically to enable Remote Desktop.  That should be putting a private little opening in the firewall as well as I understand it.

I don't know that I want to use this, but it's there and, if I could get it to work, might be the "whole" solution, at least for SSB, because I should be able to do something with the Flex 6300 DAX support as far as basic audio goes.

It may make more sense in the long run to look at something else for audio, such as the usual remoterig/pigology stuff so that I could route the (already separate) Flex audio in its own path over the 'net.  But, if it's just a little fiddling with configuration, that would be a lot of functionality for not a lot of effort.
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:18 AM »

Try TeamViewer, it supports audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: