Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelling, Punctuation, Etc.  (Read 8202 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »

Its not my fault that my keyboard does not know spell well.  Seriously, I am a lousy typer, and have trouble putting what I want to say  on the paper.  It is not a lack of knowledge, but too much information that takes too long for me to type.  I have had 8 years in the air force in electronic counter measure repair, but that was schooling in Biloxie in 1966. So I may have forgotten a thing or two.  getting a ham ticket is really just permission to start learning.  These forums are places to share that knowledge. So ask away, or answer if you know.  get all the information you can then decide what you want to d.

tom, N6AJR
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »

I always try to look things up first.  Sometimes it is hard to know the key words necessary to describe the problem in order to find the area where I can get the answer.  One thing I do know, the more I ask the more I learn.  Many times the answer provides me with additional info I never would have thought of.

Without this place, I know I would still be in the dark ages.

Sam
W9KDX
WHALER13

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »

N3WAK Tony,
The best thing for you is to stop reading the forums.
When something bothers you that much turn it off.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »

Good point, but what about if you think you know what you don't know, or don't know what you think you do know?  Get my drift? Smiley

That's why you should test what you know against the real world if you care whether or not you know it.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »

Some of the questions one sees here from Extra Class calls makes one wonder if any radio knowledge is required to pass!

One doesn't need even a modicum of knowledge to pass any exam class.  The questions and their correct answers are published!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »

What gets me are the people who post pretty
simple questions, then get all bent out of shape if they don't get
a reply in a few hours. They respond with something like:
"Well? Doesn't ANYBODY know the answer to my question?
Where are the so called experts on this forum?"

As if they have some God given right to have their
issue answered **right now**!
(And it's usually one of those "RTFM" answers!   Grin)
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

I think alot of it is either not knowing how to search for things, too many answers, or just not trusting information that is out there.  The handbooks and stuff like that aren't readily understood by new hams, I think, and it is daunting to search in something that big.  Then there is also no frame of reference to ask the right question to get results.  Then, of course, lots are just lazy and don't want to spend time learning/looking as well.  I can't presume any of that when I see a post; I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt.

Then you have pages and pages of OT debates about grounding vs. not grounding, ARRL jabs, take-off angle - side lobes - SWR and its' importance, and all of the different variables that will either make the original posters question the right question to ask... I think it gets daunting for lots of people, who just want to play. 

The fear of blowing up their new investment also scares them into asking, since they heard/read stories.

As for spelling, punctuation - I see it all the time at work and elsewhere; it is the world we live in now, and while annoying seeing people spell "weird" wrong or mixing their/there/they're all the time, it is just something you will have to let go on, nowadays.

So, you can either help someone if you wish, or if you get burnt out doing that or reading that, then don't.  I do not care for reading a basic antenna question post where someone lambasts the original poster about their "license class" acumen, or why don't they read a book, etc.; that only enforces the image that we are all curmudgeons.

Then again, I also see lots of people at club meetings (I attend two different clubs), who honestly know nothing about radio, how it works, or are even interested (which makes me sad).  Same clubs have people that are the opposite.

So, in closing, the world is full of different type of people - just live with it; what else can you do?  (Now that is what I call some good ham rambling in my post! Smiley )
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »

"Well? Doesn't ANYBODY know the answer to my question?
Where are the so called experts on this forum?"
I have never seen that on any Elmers forum on eham.
Bob
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »

I do remember such a post - at least one, anyway.  It had been a few hours since the original
post had been made, and the question was vague and/or obscure enough that I don't think anyone
COULD have known the answer based on the information given.

The Elmers on these threads aren't mindreaders or magicians.  Sometimes it can take 20 or 30 posts
just to figure out the question that the OP thought he was trying to ask in the first place, and/or
working down through layers of mis-information to find a starting point to explain why a question
really makes no sense.
KB1GTX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 03:10:37 PM »

Superman (1978)

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »

I agree  with 'WAK 100%!!

But he's identified two different problems.

The first problem is the spelling/punctuation/grammar/writing skills issue. Now, I'm no Shakespeare, and I've made my share of typos, but some of the stuff seen on forums is all but indecipherable.

I figure there are three things going on:

1) Some folks really don't know how to write coherently. This may be due to their education, culture, some sort of disability, medication, etc.

Remember that, for a long time, many folks didn't have to write all that much. The telephone did the job. The online world had brought the written word and skills associated with it back into focus.

2) Some folks are trying to project an online persona of some kind, and the odd writing is part of it.

3) Some folks just don't care. I've seen this expressed a couple of times; the writer said "it's just the internet" and it wasn't worth his time to clean up his postings. (Which made me think: "If it's not worth his time to write a coherent question, it's not worth my time to write an answer...."). 

The second problem is a form of "learned helplessness". It's where a person figures it's easier to just ask a question rather than to even try to figure out the answer. Some folks even feel entitled to custom-made explanations of everything.

This doesn't mean all such questions are dumb. In some cases there is so much info out there that it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But sometimes a question is clearly the result of not bothering to even look. For example, I've seen basic questions on Part 97 rules which are easily answered by just reading the dern thing, but it's clear the person asking the question didn't bother. Since Part 97 is downloadable free from a variety of sites, there's no reason for any US-licensed ham with internat access not to have a copy.

What to do about thse problems is another issue.

73 es HNY de Jim, N2EY
KK4GER

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 04:36:50 AM »

....The second problem is a form of "learned helplessness". It's where a person figures it's easier to just ask a question rather than to even try to figure out the answer. Some folks even feel entitled to custom-made explanations of everything.....

What to do about these problems is another issue.

73 es HNY de Jim, N2EY

That comment made me think of our welfare system, but that is off topic.  Roll Eyes

There is no excuse for the spelling / grammar issue.  The technical issues are another story.  Many texts seem to be written to impress the authors colleagues, and not to impart knowledge to the layman.  And then there is the cost of the textbooks, which is certainly outrageous these days.

I have found that many of the older texts are far superior to the newer ones and have resorted to purchasing used books.

If you think the spelling and grammar is bad on some of these posts, try picking up a new technical book and seeing how poorly it was edited.  Joseph J. Carr's Practical Antenna Handbook is a prime example.

But, I still enjoy the interaction with the people on the forum, which is one of the main reasons I visit.  Smiley

W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »

Unfortunately! your observations are not limited only to Ham Radio, but rather to the Society we live in today. Laziness  (not Politically correct) has become the accepted norm among us today.
How many times have we all seen here on the Forum " Where can I find the cheapest price for XZY Radio?"
We expect someone else to do the heavy lifting for us, so much so, that if it's not "Instant Breakfast" then it's not any good!

(((73))) Milverton.
OLDGEEZER

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »

To err is human (errare humanum est), forgiving is divine.

Neither of which is Marine Corps policy  Grin
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »

This usually gets me several 'keyboard spankings', but the D-students have taken over.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: