Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelling, Punctuation, Etc.  (Read 9836 times)
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »

Gee, I dunno. I've struggled with problems, read a bunch of stuff and become thoroughly confused.  I've always been grateful when people who have a background in this stuff didn't jump to conclusions and cheerfully helped me out -- even when the answer was probably obvious to them.

Not everybody has the patience to teach. 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

In another place this would get the IB4TL.

IB4TL!!!!

Whooo-HOOOOOoooo!!!

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »

I used to get ticked off at incorrect spelling and punctuation, too. Misspelled words and improper sentence structure simply jump off the page at me. (In school, I got straight A's in spelling and English, and I couldn't understand why anyone else couldn't, too.)

But that was before I met Tony C. at the last place I worked.

To make a very long and nice story short, Tony C. is the ideal employee, whether you are his boss or a fellow employee working next to him. He gets along with everyone. When you hear the phrase "nice guy", you're talking about Tony C. He never complains, learns very complicated math and machine shop precision manufacturing concepts quickly, and makes $$$ for his employer turning out the most beautiful and precision parts you ever saw come off a CNC mill or lathe (or whatever machine he's assigned to). And he had NO PREVIOUS TRAINING.

One day, I saw Tony's absolutely atrocious handwriting and spelling. I was stunned. But ever since then, I have never judged any man by the way he writes and spells.

Some of today's learning institutions are staffed by men and women who have no business being teachers. Don't judge a man by his spelling. Judge him after you meet him.

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

Some of today's learning institutions are staffed by men and women who have no business being teachers.

True, but that has little to do with not being able to spell. The most important thing is to be a reader. It's no wonder that people come up with all sorts of inventive spellings if they are trying to reproduce words that they've heard but not read.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »

Spell Check is your friend.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

Spell Check is your friend.

Sort of... most people here seem to mess up quiet (by spelling it quite), they're/their/there, and things like that.  All spelled correctly (or is that spelt?)...
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »

I be so happy dat I gots gud grammar. My pride makes me just bust a gut!
Now, if only we could work on this here Eham "Spiel Check".

Cal  K4JSR

PS. Anyone else notice that N6AJR is an "OLD CROW?"
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »

As an Honors History and English graduate, spelling, punctuation and grammar were an important part of my education. But I also understand that others might not have been so privileged. The Ham community is made up of people from all walks of life and from many different backgrounds. Once we can understand the general jist of what someone is saying that's all that is important. Heck! everyone has made mistakes when caught up in the flow of a response. Conversational language is all that is required to enjoy our wonderful hobby!

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:55:08 PM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »

Like I said. If I can understand them, I will try to help them. I am not a personal spell and grammar checker. There are more important things to worry about.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »

Another one I shudder at every time is the use of "a" immediately before a word that starts with a vowel sound:  "I have a amp and can I hook it up to a old radio and whats a antenna I can use?"

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »

I used to get ticked off at incorrect spelling and punctuation, too. Misspelled words and improper sentence structure simply jump off the page at me. (In school, I got straight A's in spelling and English, and I couldn't understand why anyone else couldn't, too.)

But that was before I met Tony C. at the last place I worked.

To make a very long and nice story short, Tony C. is the ideal employee, whether you are his boss or a fellow employee working next to him. He gets along with everyone. When you hear the phrase "nice guy", you're talking about Tony C. He never complains, learns very complicated math and machine shop precision manufacturing concepts quickly, and makes $$$ for his employer turning out the most beautiful and precision parts you ever saw come off a CNC mill or lathe (or whatever machine he's assigned to). And he had NO PREVIOUS TRAINING.

One day, I saw Tony's absolutely atrocious handwriting and spelling. I was stunned. But ever since then, I have never judged any man by the way he writes and spells.

Some of today's learning institutions are staffed by men and women who have no business being teachers. Don't judge a man by his spelling. Judge him after you meet him.
   I know a surgeon who can't spell to save his own life, but he has saved the lives of many.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

Some of today's learning institutions are staffed by men and women who have no business being teachers.

True, but that has little to do with not being able to spell. The most important thing is to be a reader. It's no wonder that people come up with all sorts of inventive spellings if they are trying to reproduce words that they've heard but not read.

I agree. However ...

Ever since I was old enough to realize it, my mother was (and still is, in her 70's) a prolific reader. Our family made a weekly trip to the public library and each week she would carry out a stack of books that was a minimum of a foot high. And she would read it all.

But Mom can't spell. :-)  I could never figure that out.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: