Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dit......Dit.....Dit What the heck...  (Read 459 times)
N6PEH

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2005, 05:24:53 PM »

Was listening to op yesterday morning before heading to work.  He would end his thought or whatever, I'm still not really sure what he was doing, with a spaced, Dit Dit Dit, like three "E's".  He seemed to be an experienced fist with otherwise nice code.  They weren't corrections either as I had first thought.

What's up with that?
AB0SI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »

I would assume the slow dits were the Morse equivilent of  "umm, er, wellllll"  A pause while thinking of what to say next.

Paul  AB0SI
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 07:59:35 PM »

Can't recall ever running across that!  Most hams of years past, and many today, used "BT" as a "hang on, I'm thinking/reading"  symbol. A filler of sorts.  Wonder if he may have been using a keyboard?  Might make more sense  to send E E E than it would from a keyer.  Might even be programmed in as an "idle function."  Anyway, been a ham for 49 years, and never heard that.  Interesting.  

Ed
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:44:22 AM »

I've heard this before, and used it myself a few times.  I don't think there's any "official" explanation for dit...dit...dit other than it's a holding pattern to let the other station know you're still there but busy or thinking -- kind of like an abbreviated "BT" (dahdidididah).

In lieu of eight dits for an error, I only send didit didit (like two letter "I"s spaced apart), seems to serve the purpose.  I noted a lot of old timers using that many years ago and thought it was a good idea...

WB2WIK/6
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:39:49 PM »

MY choice is "I"'s [dit-dit] ... But if I'm in QSO with another QSK guy I don't bother. He'll 'dit' me thru my QSK if he wants to answer the fone, or whatever.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »

I was taught that when an op made an error, he send five E's  ( Because the word error has 5 letters?) and then began again with the word he originally goofed up before he sent the E's.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 10:49:03 AM »

I learned that "Error" is signalled with 8 dits. Some ops sometimes use 4 as in: didit didit, some will simply send IMI (?), to indicate a repeat.

5 dits is the number 5; I've never heard of that used as an error identifier.
N8UW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »

I had a QSO with an OM who garbled the same simple word twice, he then sent AW NUTS perfectly and kept going along just fine, skipping the problem word. I almost fell out of my chair laughing!
WA2GO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 07:55:46 PM »

That just means he is a ditz.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: