Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m & 70cm Transverters for the Kenwood TS-590S and/or the TS-480HX?  (Read 4482 times)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:24 PM »

I like the added VHF/UHF of the TS-2000, but want a more up-to-date radio. I'm looking at the TS-590 and the TS-480HX, but would like to know if there are any Transverters that will work? Thanks in advance for your help!

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:21:49 AM »

Hi Dave,
Here is some real time info for you to consider.
First, my son has used a Ten Tec driven by a 480.
He now uses a 590s to drive the same TV on 2m.
He has done some improvements to the TV and added a temperature controlled crystal oscillator that will take about 15 min to stabilize from a cold start.
If some attention is not given to the local oscillator, they will drift a small amount because they are closed up in the cabinet.
He also drives an 80 watt SS amp.
The 590s has a low power drive output but I don't think he uses it.
On my setup I am using a 480 with a Down East Mirowave older unit with single drive in/out via a T/R in the TV.
....I also now have a 70cm TV that is about 20 yeas old and built a T/R switch external, to use single drive from the 480.
Both our setups use 10 meters as the in/out IF.
....Both radios have an option to set the radio display to read out direct in frequency beginning as 28 MHz = 144.000.
All TV require very low power drive in the 1/2 watt range but the TV have input circuits that can handle 5 watts and no more than 10.
....DEMI  has a new model out now.
On my older DEMI unit, I cut a 2" hole in the bottom plate for a fan and row of holes on the other end of the plate to force air over the crystal. This has about settled the drift down to a very small amount.
....I drive both my units 2m and 70cm into 100 watt amplifiers.
Some other things  to remember, your radio won't transmitt above 29.7 so that is the limit you have on TV use from 144 to 145.700 unless the LO is changed.  It will cover some low end repeaters pair if with in that range.  You can program repeater pairs into memory just like any other radio
....My 70cm, is crystaled for 432.000 to 433.700 in SSB and part of satellite band with a second set of crystals.
Bottom line is you will have some limitations as these units are meant for SSB.
....Both units have very good low nose sensitivity use on high gain beams for weak signal work.
Something extra you may never be intersted in is I modded my DEMI input circuit for drive control so I could lower the drive power and work AM of all things. It's fun as a something different now and then.
What happens here is the DEMI has a 30 watt output capability so for AM use, the drive carrier needs to come down into the 7 to 8 watts TV output range for the AM mode because the rule on AM is the carrier level time 4 = peak envelope power so you can see that 4 x 7 watts = 28 PEP so the TV is not over driven on AM and stays clean.
....So using them is not all plug and play and needs some understanding of what you want to archive.
One thing leads to another. I am just now developing first proto type of remote RF switch to work at 432, 100 Watts and switch a tower mounted LNA to boot.  Can't buy one that will do this well at those power levels.
This is what Ham radio is for me as it's part of my expertise from the past.
Good luck.

K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:37 AM »

Like KM3F says, there is a little bit of work to be done to figure out how to wire up a transverter. 

I prefer to use low-level split-IF (separate TX and RX lines from the IF radio at mW power levels) for a variety of reasons.  First, they are easy to switch.  Second, some exciters have a power spike when turned down to the 5-watt level to drive common-IF type transverters.  Third, most good HF radios have a rear-panel connection for low-level split-IF so I can leave the rest of the HF antenna systems undisturbed.  I know that the TS-590S can do this kind of operation without a lot of headache since I was looking into getting one to replace one of my TS-930Ses.

The big players in the transverter market are Down East Microwave and Elecraft.  Both are split-IF by standard configuration.  The Ten Tec is common-IF.  If you can find a working Microwave Modules transverter, they are usually a pretty good buy.  The final option is to roll your own, which I've done for six meters and will be doing for 432 soon.  It's not hard, but when I finished the six-meter box, I swore I'd never do it again.

KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »

As far as I know the 590 does not have any keyup spike to be concerned about.
My 480 has none I ever detected.
The DEMI units have an input circuit to make them much less sensitive to power up to 10 watts or less.
How they do this is use a non inductive 50 ohm'power' termination in the TV input circuit, then you set the pick off power internal control to meet the max power out the unit will supply safely.
This accomplishes a perfect termination to the driving radio and take some hassle out of the use unless you make an error setting up for uses.
On the 480, menu 23 sets the radio for TV use and readout.
Menu 24 set to 'on' auto limits the radio to it's lowest power re guardless of the power setting otherwise.
Good luck.
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »

Thanks you two for the good food for thought. It looks like I have a bit to weed through on this. Thought it would be easier, but that's what being a Ham is all about.

Again, thanks for the great info.

dave Smiley

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: