Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know what a "lid" is?  (Read 10212 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »

14313 is one synonym for them. Also 14275 when K1MAN is doing his baby broadcaster act.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

"Lid" is one of the oldest terms in amateur radio. It generally means "a poor operator". You need to read some history of this hobby if you want to understand it. You are the first ham I have encountered in my 40+ years as a licensed amateur who did NOT know what a "lid" is. Get in touch with the hobby.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »

TJH:  Remember the day when new hams used to READ everything they could get their hands on?  Which included history, theory, construction and courtesy?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »

You know, a 'LID' could also be thought of as an operator who has experience--but poor manners, and tends to drive poeple away from the hobby with their antagonistic attitude rather than offering a kind word and mentoring newcomers.

Mind you, I'm not pointing fingers here--just offering an observation.
KC9KEP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »

Hmm .. "Get in touch with the hobby".  I like that :-)

Let's see now, I've received email from Lindsay Publications indicating their admiration of my fabrications, my name is referenced in the most recent publication of QST magazine, I have authored the front-page feature of the current QRP Quarterly magazine, QST magazine has contacted me with regards to my fabrications and a possible feature article, I procured my Extra ticket this past summer (with a grade of 100%), passed my initial ticket with Morse Code exam included, built my first receiver when in Grade School, all my HF equipment is home brewed, hold a Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Technician, a BSEE and have been employed as an Lead Professional (Engineer) for 30+ years now.

So, of course, I was initially insulted by the "get in touch" comment (particularly when my question was spawned by studying QST magazines, past and present in an effort to learn).

But then, I realized that I was experiencing a demonstration of just how to act in order to be
a Lid!

I honestly appreciate the thoughtful and insightful (and sometimes humorous) replies!

Hey .. I said it was a stupid question, no?

--KC9KEP
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »

Hmm .. "Get in touch with the hobby".  I like that :-)

Let's see now, I've received email from Lindsay Publications indicating their admiration of my fabrications, my name is referenced in the most recent publication of QST magazine, I have authored the front-page feature of the current QRP Quarterly magazine, QST magazine has contacted me with regards to my fabrications and a possible feature article, I procured my Extra ticket this past summer (with a grade of 100%), passed my initial ticket with Morse Code exam included, built my first receiver when in Grade School, all my HF equipment is home brewed, hold a Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Technician, a BSEE and have been employed as an Lead Professional (Engineer) for 30+ years now.

So, of course, I was initially insulted by the "get in touch" comment (particularly when my question was spawned by studying QST magazines, past and present in an effort to learn).

But then, I realized that I was experiencing a demonstration of just how to act in order to be
a Lid!

I honestly appreciate the thoughtful and insightful (and sometimes humorous) replies!

Hey .. I said it was a stupid question, no?

--KC9KEP

Perhaps a better approach would be to display a small amount of humility.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »

Hmm .. "Get in touch with the hobby".  I like that :-)

Let's see now, I've received email from Lindsay Publications indicating their admiration of my fabrications, my name is referenced in the most recent publication of QST magazine, I have authored the front-page feature of the current QRP Quarterly magazine....

Perhaps a better approach would be to display a small amount of humility.

It can be shown that he already did--as his original post said nothing about the list he made in response to someone elses reply.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 01:23:36 PM »

I agree, and his response is appropriate.  Someone sounds a tad jealous.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

To answer the OP's original question: Yes.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VE4KAB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »

Lid is slang for running a boot, or power amplifier
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »

I thought they called those heaters or foot warmers not lids..
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »

No it isn't. Not in ham radio, anyway.

"Lid" means "a poor operator". It is actually older than radio; it refers to the practice of using a tobacco-can lid on a telegraph sounder to make it sound different. Poor operators needed such things, skilled ops looked down on them for it.

73 de Jim, N2EY
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »

Examples may be seen in K1MAN and IT9RYH - and many others on 20 and 75,
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »

"Lid" means "a poor operator". It is actually older than radio; it refers to the practice of using a tobacco-can lid on a telegraph sounder to make it sound different. Poor operators needed such things, skilled ops looked down on them for it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim is no doubt historically correct but I still like AE4B's modern interpretation:

Lid = Licensed IDiot
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »

A cure for "Lid-ism" courtesy of an ancient chinese text:

“When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everyone will respect you.”
― Lao Tzu

73s
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: