Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW little used outside NA - I have a 2.6% response rate :(  (Read 13627 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »

I signed up with LOTW in the hope that it would make things easier, quicker and cheaper when QSLing different countries.

Alas, it seems not to be the case. My current response rate of confirmed QSOs is a pitiful 2.6%.  I am having much better QSL success by mailing cards direct to the contact.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong here with LOTW?  In theory, it seems a great idea, but perhaps it is only widely used by NA hams.

Simon
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »

Simon

I and most other hams who use LoTW are disappointed with it.

I get a very good response rate to QSOs made during a contest, either DX or here in the States. Casual rag cheweres, DX or in the States, don't use LoTW that much.

The ARRL could do more with LoTW. First, forget abut whether it is difficult to set up and use. I don't see that changing.

However, I did the RAC contest, work all Canada, recently and it seems to me that the RAC and the ARRL could work together so that the RAC could offer their Worked All Canada award through LoTW. And if they could do that then the ARRL could work with other organizations to offer other awards. That would certainly give more people a reason to use LoTW.

Mark, NØOKS
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

Contesters will give you a rate around 50%. As a DX station, uploading your logs (contest or not) should significantly reduce your QSL workload. Then at least you can concentrate on the cards you really want.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:21:56 AM »

Simon - most of my contacts are DX stations (non-NA) and I am running close to 40% LotW confirmation rate. I'm very satisfied with LotW, for the first time ever (42 years as a ham) I have qualified for 5BDXCC and 5BWAS. Most people I know find it to be fantastic.

In AP, the participation definitely seems to be lower - so if a lot of your contacts are JAs and YBs and the like, they do seem to prefer paper QSLs and not do as much eQSL or LotW.

Make sure you have the time correct (UTC) on what you upload to LotW. I think there is a 30 minute window for QSO's to match and get an LotW confirmation.

73, John K3TN

John K3TN
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 07:25:29 AM »

I have a 24% response rate from stations outside of NA.  My overall rate including NA is about 26%.  Not much difference there (most of the NA contacts in my log are contest contacts, for what it's worth)

Breakdown by continent/region (Continent/LoTW return percentage)

AS 23%
OC 32%
EU 21%
SA 27%
NA 27%
AF 26%

This is for a log starting in 1996 that is dominated by DXing and a few VHF and Topband contests in recent years.  I don't make very many contacts; mostly search-and-pounce DXing for things I haven't worked before at all or for band/mode slots.  For what it's worth I have 241 DXCC entities confirmed on LoTW.  From time to time I will work a couple stations only because I know they've been on LoTW in the past but I don't do that much, and most of it was on 160m where I'm hoping to apply for DXCC with all LoTW contacts.

I don't know if it's just a difference in our on-air behavior or who we're working or what, but my log does not support the idea that LoTW is little used outside of NA.  Can you give more information about the composition of your log?  I suspect if I was working many thousands of smaller casual domestic stations a year in addition to my DXing, my confirmation percentages would go way down. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:02:25 AM »

My LOTW stinks. I don't even upload to it, unless the other guy shows to have uploaded. I have about 35% confirmation with known users.

It beats me for sure !

73 Tony N5UD
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

@K3TN, my UTC time is spot on

@N3OX, my log is a mixture of Asian, Oceania and European stations, VK, ZL, BY, VU, 9M, V85, RA etc etc - but the number of confirmed QSOs is virtually zero.

I upload all my contacts to LOTW, (because I can use it as my electronic log).  But as far as getting confirmed QSOs is concerned, I think I'm going to stick with mailing my cards...

Simon (not impressed with LOTW)
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:31:20 AM »

All my contacts are fairly recent - went on the air at the end of 2005.

I also work a lot of RTTY, which tends to be a very computer-geeky crowd.

However, I have a lot of CW contacts and minimal SSB.

I have over 60% confirmation of my QSOs on LOTW.

My impression is that SSB contacts are a lot less likely to have LOTW.

your mileage may vary.

Dennis
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »

LOTW posted QSL to QSO rate is around 23%. 99% of LOTW posted QSOs are non-US. (Sending cards, etc. has produced a 97% Grin success rate.)   Gene AF3Y
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »

Point of view may be everything. When those of us in NA are working DX stations, we are often working other serious DXers that happens to be DX to us. But when Simon is working DX, he may not be working serious DXers, but more casual stations that are not really that far from him. The more serious one is to be a serious DXer, the more likely he is to use LoTW.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »

I've watched my LOTW response rate (for DX because that's what I chase) over the seven years that I've been using it and there's no question that the rate has significantly risen particularly in the past year or two.

I think that many DXers want to leave themselves open to receiving QSLs via any and all routes, especially with the ever-increasing costs of postage to foreign destinations and the vagaries of overseas postal administrations, including direct, bureau, manager and LOTW.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:28:28 PM by W2LO » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »

Has anyone here ever heard of someone else who has a rate as low as 2.6%?

It's unusual for sure.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »

I think that if you upload all contacts to LOTW you will have a much lower response rate than
if you are more selective and  upload only those contacts whose QRZ.Com pages show that they will QSL via LOTW.  Even then some hams upload very infrequently.  I use the latter method and my response rate is 50%.  Other contacts I QSL direct usually with green stamps
and SAE and the response rate is around 85%.  Buro takes too long and results are pitiful.
Most Buro cards I receive are for contests (usually two or more years after the contest) and
rarely have any buro cards added to my entities worked total.  Of course if you upload all
contacts I suppose you will increase your chance of the rare DX that uses LOTW without noting that he does so on his QRZ page.  I was surprised when so many hams uploaded their old paper logs and I received confirmations that I had long ago given up on.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Allen

Allen
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

Since this is getting a lot of interest, I thought I'd dig into my log and get some specifics.

For USA contacts - 69% have been confirmed on LOTW

For DX contacts - (larger number of contacts)

Overall - 49% LOTW confirmed
Phone  - 41%
CW      - 53%
RTTY    - 51%

This may not be representative, so your mileage may vary.

Dennis      
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:47:35 AM by AI8P » Logged
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »

Has anyone here ever heard of someone else who has a rate as low as 2.6%?

It's unusual for sure.

To me it sounds like something is wrong with the uploads -- how close do times have to match? the other possibility would be if you uploaded logs from years ago.  in that case you might be uploading QSO's with silent keys who will never get on Lotw...  Maybe it is used a lot more in North America? Having a PC is obviously a requirement, but that seems to be almost everybody these days...

I had about a 25% confirmation rate initially but now am over 33%.  Over the last 2 years, I have 808 confirmations out of 2255 QSO's, or just over 35%. I have 50 states confirmed and 142 confirmed countries (entities) with 119 confirmed CW and 97 confirmed SSB...  I use 100 watts and a multi-band inverted vee.   With my budgetary constraints, Lotw is the only way I could have gotten DXCC.  thank you LoTW!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:06:51 PM by K9AIM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: