Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW little used outside NA - I have a 2.6% response rate :(  (Read 14060 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 01:22:43 PM »

FWIW, my rates are

47.7% US
45.6% DX (76% of QSOs)

Like some others have said, my US contacts are almost entirely from occasional contesting, and the DX contacts are selective, both with an eye toward band fills.

I don't understand the reasoning behind partial uploads. It takes no more effort to send everything. I often get confirmations for old QSOs as more people get on the system.

I wish everyone used LoTW. I used to send cards for all-time new ones and use LoTW for band fills. Now I don't even bother with the card if I get the on-line confirmation.

I am amazed by the number of cards some folks send and receive. I have enough clutter already.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:23:14 PM by WS3N » Logged
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 04:23:17 PM »

Certainly the UTC I record on my logs is absolutely correct - of course there would be a problem if all my QSOs were recording the wrong UTC!

These are recent QSOs, so it's possible that my contacts have not yet uploaded their logs.

I'm not making dozens of QSOs each day - perhaps 1 or 2 and those are where I specifically reply to a CQ call from a country that I need to work for the first time - so my logs are not full of local stations who might never have heard of LOTW.

I'm not perturbed, and I'll continue to use LOTW - clearly the mileage of other users of LOTW is much better than mine, so I'll persevere and hope that the QSL rate improves.  (I usually send out a paper QSL card and green stamps/SAE as well as uploading to LOTW because of it's poor QSL rate).

Simon
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »

On the LoTW web site there is "Find Call". With it you can see when the station uploaded last. If it was never, assume he never will. But if it was within the last 2-3 months, it's worth waiting for.

Also, there is an unofficial LoTW user list at http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

... I'll continue to use LOTW - clearly the mileage of other users of LOTW is much better than mine, so I'll persevere and hope that the QSL rate improves.  (I usually send out a paper QSL card and green stamps/SAE as well as uploading to LOTW because of it's poor QSL rate).

Simon

Glad to hear that Simon -- I would LOVE to work Thailand sometime and have it LoTW confirmed  Smiley
my problem is getting thru those pileups.  do you work CW?  Smiley
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

@K9AIM, I do not yet work CW, but I intend to do so, especially on the lower bands.  My new 'shack' is in the reception area of the airport hotel that I've almost completed construction of at Phuket International Airport.  So I cannot really use voice modes, (that's reserved for my mobile station).  My intention is to primarily run CW, PSK, Hell, RTTY etc from my base QTH.

I've actually ordered a new key, (the last one was 'lost' in the post).  After my DIY hex beam is installed next week, I'll look at what the most suitable top band antenna is that I can use. My QTH is 400 metres from the airport runway (off the side of it, not at the end of it!), so I'm constrained on antenna height (max = 15 metres).

Simon
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

I got my license in May 2011.  Out of my 500 QSO's I have had a 50% response rate to my qsl cards, and 38% response to LOTW.  Almost everyone who has responded with a LOTW match has also sent me a card.  
I currently have 145 countries with 87 confirmed on LOTW and 20 cards confirmed not on LOTW.  I figure another month and the LOTW will reach the 100 mark.  I kind of have my doubts with the cards though.
It is working out well for me, but I don't have old contacts.  Maybe this skews the stats?
Anyways, it's a bit of a hassle to get it going, but if a cuban, and a new zealander can do it, anyone can if they want to.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:17:31 PM by VA2FSQ » Logged

VA2FSQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »

I started with a fairly good rate at about 35% and I have now increased that significantly to about 60% by targeting my DX better.  If I see a new one I check their QRZ Page and if I see that they use LoTW I spend as much time as needed to get that contact, if I fail I add that station into my HRD cluster program and have it alert me if they are on the air again. Call me Mr. Lazy Cheesy but I do respect those guys who do it the Hard way but this works well for me, I am now at about 259 countries with 155 confirmed and the last 30 or so I got using that method in just the last 3 months.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »

I just finished miliwatt DXCC last November.
Confirmations so far:

QSL Card - 80%
LOTW - 68%

This represents QSOs from Dec. 2010 - Nov 2011 and the vast majority are contests and/or Dxpeditions

Just FYI
WS4T

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 02:25:35 AM »

Operating QRP from Eastern Europe, I've got a 34% LotW confirmation rate over the past 2 1/2 years. I'm mostly operating contests and DXing. I have 139 DXCC entities confirmed in LotW.

I really like LotW and obviously I upload all my QSOs. I don't see the point of selective uploads: It's free to upload everything and it doesn't take any extra effort.

Funny story: While I was striving towards DXCC, I noticed I had worked an EK station on a couple of bands who was participating in LotW and uploading regularly, but I still didn't have the confirmation from him. I keep looking and waiting, and then I finally read his website carefully. To get LotW confirmation from him, it was necessary to write his QSL manager with the QSO data and specifically request a LotW upload. I did that and got confirmation within a day or so. His call is EK6LP, just in case you're in the same boat.

I wonder how many more stations do selective uploads like that?

Gary, ES1WST
AI0O

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 05:03:04 AM »

Gary,
   ER1DA, TY1KS, and UN8GV are 3 that come immediately to mind that do selective LOTW uploads. I am at about 28% with LOTW but that is all Q's uploaded from 1979 on. I'm sure that skews it a tad.
Rob AI0O
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

I signed back up last week for LOTW, after four year absence.  Found the installation/certificate/upload process to be more confusing than I think it should be, but got through it (in spite of being quite PC proficient).  I think there should be only one software program (not two), and the program should lead a person step by step through the process.  That's how most well-programmed commercial programs do it.

Currently the two programs require using the on-line LOTW help for virtually every step.
Also with Win7, might be difficult to find the saved file (likely in Compatibility FIles), and upload screen on LOTW can't find a file in a Compatibility File folder, so must then move or copy elsewhere.  I suspect a fair number of hams give up along the way, especially the more casual operators who don't work DX much.

Per ARRL, 47,000 are using LOTW.  Considering the world-wide number of hams, that's still pretty low.  But seems to me virtually all more recent DXpeditions and most active DXer's participate. 

I much prefer real QSL cards, but after uploading, found confirmations for three new countries that I was missing received cards.  So the process was worth it to me, just for those three.  Uploaded about 9000 QSO's, so presumably I also helped some others with their confirmations.  Now that I'm back into LOTW, I'll continue to use it.   John, KØIZ
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »

Simon - most of my contacts are DX stations (non-NA) and I am running close to 40% LotW confirmation rate. I'm very satisfied with LotW, for the first time ever (42 years as a ham) I have qualified for 5BDXCC and 5BWAS. Most people I know find it to be fantastic.

73, John K3TN

I am very disapointed with LOTW response.  I will continue to upload all QSOs, but have started SASEing again because of only about 16% response.  Will take me more years than I have left to complete my awards objectives by only using LOTW.
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »

I started log keeping in 1/1/2009 in 7 mo I had worked DXCC using LoTW only and not trying very hard all SSB. As of 1/1/2012 I have 237 confirmed on LoTW with a total of 278 total all phone also have QRP DXCC all LoTW.

One of the great things that ARRL started and quick also for the most part to confirm to upload I just make a mouse click in my logging program and it's done. Better return than cards and a lot cheaper.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »

11,403 qsos, mainly dx and contest, the majority since Jan 2008.

303 current DXCC worked

45% confirmed LOTW  262 DXCC

99% confirmed w/qsl cards 300 DXCC

As soon as my TU2T and 3XY1D cards arrive, it will be 99.7% confirmed w/cards.  KH3 I'll have to re-work.

Of all the cards I've sent, only a few have been "lost".

LOTW is a nice tool, especially for band fills, but I don't think it will ever entirely supplant qsl cards. Not enough dx use it for it to outpace the return on cards.

I certainly wouldn't wait on it for a "new one".
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »

I signed back up last week for LOTW, after four year absence.   

Currently the two programs require using the on-line LOTW help for virtually every step.

Also with Win7, might be difficult to find the saved file (likely in Compatibility FIles), and upload screen on LOTW can't find a file in a Compatibility File folder, so must then move or copy elsewhere.

I much prefer real QSL cards, but after uploading, found confirmations for three new countries that I was missing received cards.  So the process was worth it to me, just for those three.  Uploaded about 9000 QSO's, so presumably I also helped some others with their confirmations.  Now that I'm back into LOTW, I'll continue to use it.   John, KØIZ

John, I went ahead and printed out their step by step instructions. I upload just about weekly now, so it is pretty easy. My logging program makes the file for me.

I save my .tq files to my desktop until I know LOTW has the .tq8, and then delete them. I am using Win Vista on PC and Win7 on laptop. No problems with either as to finding the file.

I agree on still liking paper cards!!   GL, Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: