The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best mobile biband V & U radio ?  (Read 3553 times)
IW2BSF

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2016, 05:42:50 AM »

what is the  best  MOBILE biband  on ICOM, YAESU or Kenwood ? 

work well the icom ic-2730  ?

best 73
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »

The truth is, technically, the difference is all but nil. The main difference is their user interface, and when it come to that, it is a personal choice, not a technical one.

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:33:18 AM »

What Alan just said.

Get yourself down to a dealerrship and have a feel of as many radios as you can then buy what works for you.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making mild people profane since 2015
KG4ERE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »

I have always been an Icom man and have always had great experiences with their radios.  I currently own 3 Icom 208h dual band mobiles and love them.
KG7TBQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »

Just like everyone else says, go down to the dealer and take a gander at them and see what works best for you. There is very minimal differences from my experience, except user interface of different brands. I learned on Yaesu and haven't bought any other brand. Not because of brand loyalty, but more because I am comfortable using it. I don't have a grudge against kendwoood or icom. If I was going to get something beside a mobile type yaesu, kenwood would probably be next.

I have an ft-1900r and an 8800r. I like both of them. I think the 8800 is a great dual band because of the separation kit and the ability to dual scan and monitor 2 frequencies at once.

Good luck choosing!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:38:42 PM by KG7TBQ » Logged
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »

They all sound the same, work the same, and the only difference is looks, interface, and company.

I like Kenwood if you are gonna Crossband Repeat a bunch because it can do Morse ID every 10 mins as a repeater, this way you technically do not need local control and can set it for remote control (gray area of the law I know).

I like the ICOM 2730 because it's ICOM and because the display is pretty nice and big and I really like the design and ergonomics of ICOMs hand mics over Kenwoods 3 year old tonka toy feeling.

Yaesu is good but the displays are smaller, harder to read, and in that awful orange color but you can probably change it.

But if I got any dual band radio I would get one that has two completely and truly separate VFOs inside. 2 radios one box. That way you can monitor whatever, whenever, however, you want.

Stay away from the Chinese rigs if quality is worth your money. I have a Chinese TYT TH9800 and whist it is a functionally solid radio that does what it is supposed to do it feels less well made, more plastic, and for another $50.00 you can get a name brand radio that is probably significantly better constructed.
KJ6NWU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 05:44:29 AM »

It depends on what brand of truck you're putting it in.
I only put Kenwoods in my Dodge.

KJ6NWU

Break a leg...
Jeff Bradford KJ6NWU
in Hollywood, CA USA
IW2BSF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »

yes,  yaesu is both analog/digital bu NOT is a dualbander !

icom as only analog but is a real dualbander.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: