Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remoterig and the Flex 5000A???  (Read 13440 times)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:26 PM »

Has anyone done this or know anything about working remote with the Remoterig and the Flex 5000A?

UPDATE...
I did see this at the FlexRadio website. The applicable text is in underlined bold below:

What is not covered: This Limited Warranty as it pertains to the transceiver or radio components does not cover repair or damage caused by (1) misuse, negligence or user modifications; (2) any performance malfunctions involving non-FlexRadio accessory equipment; (3) connection to improper or unstable voltage supply; (4) improper execution of hardware calibration or test routines; (5) the incorrect installation of any and all cables connected to the radio by the user; (6) the use of third-party software applications or hardware that directly or indirectly controls radio functions and/or operating state by utilizing a communication or control protocol, such as, but not limited to CAT or I2C commands or (7) random acts of nature such as flood, fire, water, weather related storm, lightning or electrostatic discharge damage.

Looks as if the connections are there. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

dave Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:18:58 AM by WB4LCN » Logged

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »

I use Remoterig with a remote Flex-3000 which is of course similar to the 5000A.

The Remoterig box keys the radio directly with a cable straight into the key jack on the radio.  I don't use the keyer in the home Remoterig box, because the built in keyer has some strange behavior.  I use a separate keyer at the home site which connects to the Remoterig box.  This works well, with minimal delay to the transmitter output.

The Remoterig box also handles the audio path, and does it well.  There are several options for the audio coding so you can select the best tradeoff between available internet bandwidth and audio quality.  The delay is minimal, and with 16 bit linear coding, the audio does not seem to be degraded in any way.

All other operator controls are done directly on the PowerSDR screen with Free VNC.

Various radio I/O control functions are implemented via DDUTIL, a well supported program you will find on the web.  It is really the only option.  I use it to control the bandswitching on an ALS-600 amplifier and for CAT control for MixW.

AC power for the radio, amplifier, and various other gear is controlled by a "Web Power Switch III" by Digital Loggers.  My router is set up so I can get into the power control box from home without going through the computer, so I can kill the radio and amplifier if the computer goes nuts.

Bob, K5DN
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »

Excellent info, Bob. Thanks a bunch. This is just what I had hoped. Smiley

dave

Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

WA2TTP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »

Bob, K5DN,

"I use it to control the bandswitching on an ALS-600 amplifier"

I'm running Remoterig with a TS-480sat from Florida to NY with very good results so far but would like to add an amp next year. I had looked at the ALS-600 but was concerned about the mechanical band switch. Are using a gear head motor or stepper motor operate it or something more than that??

Steve,
WA2TTP
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »

No, the later models of the ALS-600 have internal relays for bandswitching, and jacks on the front panel to drive them.  On the upper right corner of the front panel, there are two jacks labeled "remote".  The manual bandswitch has a "remote" position to enable control through the jacks.  There is an accessory box the ARI-500 that helps with the interface.  My bandswitching is controlled by a parallel board in the computer.  I'm not sure about the TS-480, but it probably has a compatible control connector on the back.
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »

No, the later models of the ALS-600 have internal relays for bandswitching, and jacks on the front panel to drive them.  On the upper right corner of the front panel, there are two jacks labeled "remote".  The manual bandswitch has a "remote" position to enable control through the jacks.  There is an accessory box the ARI-500 that helps with the interface.  My bandswitching is controlled by a parallel board in the computer.  I'm not sure about the TS-480, but it probably has a compatible control connector on the back.

I have the TS-480HX set up for remote and I've been thinking about the ALS-600 also. Best I can deduce, bandswitching might be handled thru the RS-232 port. Am I all wet on this?

K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »

The ARI-500 has a section specifically about interfacing theTS-480.  I haven't read the details, but it's all there.  Oddly, the manual on the Ameritron site is different than mine, and doesn't have this section.  You might have to call them.  I could scan it....
WA2TTP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to persue it over the summer.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: