Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ  (Read 82648 times)
KC7MF

Ignore
MFJ
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

This is not another beat up MFJ thread though they certainly deserve it.  Check this out.  I ordered an antenna and, of course, it arrived missing an important part.  Small but important.  On the box was a sticker which read: 

IMPORTANT!  SAVE THIS LABEL
        Contents of this package have been verified by weight
                    3.87  11-22-11   J.S.

Really?  This is how they decide whether the correct parts are inside?  Now I know they will say this is just a final check but.....  So will they tell me that my antenna is the correct weight and that I must be mistaken about the part?

BUT WAIT!  Inside the package was an MFJ catalog.  Did they factor that into the package weight?  How about the tape and packing material.  Is the wadded up paper always the same?  I guess I am just not understanding the process.

It is telling that MFJ does not have any email addresses for management on their website.  They only have the individual customer support addresses.  This is completely understandable because otherwise Mr. Jue K5FLU might actually hear of their quality control issues.  He may be the only ham operator in the US who does not list an email address.  I don't blame him.  He might not like the emails he gets.

So HRO is super about this.  They are letting me return the antenna and get a real one from Comet.  The conversation went exactly like this:

Me: Hi.  I bought an antenna and it is missing an important part.

HRO: It must be a Cushcraft.

You have to love it.

So I wrote to Cushcraft and we will see what they say.  I suspect by the time they respond the radio will already be back to HRO and the new one on the way.  I am giving them until Wednesday.  I am wagering that there is no way in the world that any MFJ management will see my email or this post for that matter.  I seriously doubt they care at all.  If they do respond I will give them the courtesy of posting their efforts here.  Maybe they will respond positively.  I am not holding my breath. 

I have a Cushcraft R-5 which I love.  It is old a crusty and won't break.  I was considering buying a new Cushcraft vertical to add 40 meters.  It appears the acquisition of Cushcraft by MFJ makes this not such a wise decision.   

KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »

Why would you want to send your radio back if it is the antenna that is missing parts?
Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot.......
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »

Yes.  I misspoke.  I meant antenna.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »

I hope their repair services are acceptable.  Just sent an item in the other day.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »

Actually the product in question is made in the USA. 

UPDATE:  I got an email from customer service at MFJ today and it was missing something.  Capital letters!  I guess they failed to weigh the email and see that the big cool looking letters at the beginning of sentences were missing.  I won't post their first email here but I had a good laugh.  Suffice it to say that the person (if it was a person) responding said he/she/it would forward my letter to "the boss, k5flu".  I will post this later email from today to show how disconnected they are.  I tried to give them a chance to be helpfull but....

ME: 
It is model number A270-6S.

I am fairly sure that I am going to get a different antenna.  Probably a larger yagi so it may be that HRO is the one who needs the parts.  If you have any suggestions I am all ears.  The reviews on this antenna are not that hot and I am afraid to order another Cushcraft and have parts missing again.  What do you think?

MFJ: 

okay, we will get that part shipped to you.  sorry for the delay

Good grief.  No clue and no capitals. 

Wait until "the boss" finds out he didn't even rate a capital letter. 

I think they should change their name to mfj.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »

MFJ is a real joke. This is another Chinese rip off company. The products are not anywhere near what the ratings claim.

Complete junk.

I know from reading here and other places that they make some iffy stuff, but I'll have to say that my 2 MFJ products have been great.  Only problem was my fault when I left a 259b analyzer outside when it rained.   The 949D tuner is great, in my opinion.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

I have several MFJ products that are just fine.  They can make a good product.  Their problem is not design it is quality control and customer service.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »

Two things about Amateur Radio totally mystify me:

1.  The cult of the D-104 microphone.

2.  Ritual Bashing of MFJ.

For the first one, I have NO clue, but I feel like I'm missing the secret handshake until I post how to hook up a D-104 to my FT-5000.

As to the second, I have some other thoughts:  MFJ exists to serve the community, and it's pretty clear they do it well enough overall for them to survive and keep expanding.  Frankly, I think we aught to be grateful that these company simply don't cease to exist and their products disappear.

You don't like Ameritron?  Fine.  Get yourself an Alpha, it's going to cost you twice as much.  Get Tokyo HP.  Perhaps they have solved their distribution issues.  I called, got an AL-80B same day, in stock at HRO.  It's worked FB since.

Don't like MFJ?  Plenty of other antenna tuners out there, analysers, etc.  they all compete in the marketplace.

But why bash MFJ for being what they are?  Makes no sense.  They are a good low cost supplier to the Amateur radio operator. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »

Where would we be without MFJ? I have many items in the shack that are available from no other company and the ones that are are prohibitively expensive elsewhere.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:11 AM »

2.  Ritual Bashing of MFJ.

For the first one, I have NO clue, but I feel like I'm missing the secret handshake until I post how to hook up a D-104 to my FT-5000.

As to the second, I have some other thoughts:  MFJ exists to serve the community, and it's pretty clear they do it well enough overall for them to survive and keep expanding.  Frankly, I think we aught to be grateful that these company simply don't cease to exist and their products disappear.

You don't like Ameritron?  Fine.  Get yourself an Alpha, it's going to cost you twice as much.  Get Tokyo HP.  Perhaps they have solved their distribution issues.  I called, got an AL-80B same day, in stock at HRO.  It's worked FB since.

Don't like MFJ?  Plenty of other antenna tuners out there, analysers, etc.  they all compete in the marketplace.
But why bash MFJ for being what they are?  Makes no sense.  They are a good low cost supplier to the Amateur radio operator.

Look guy.  This is not "ritual bashing".   Roll Eyes  Quite the opposite.  The fact is that I said as much in the OP.  But I will answer your post anyway. 

They messed up and they did seem to care much.  You seem to think that they are doing us a favor by allowing us to send them money.  I disagree.  I believe they should give value for that money which means that the product should be complete, reasonably well made and work.  This antenna didn't and their response was unprofessional to say the least.  As I also said, I own and use a number of their products including Cushcraft and Ameritron as well as MFJ.  But your idea that we should be "grateful" for the privilege of buying their goods is absurd.  Posts like mine, if they make it to management, are helpful if they will but pay attention.  I will also remind you that the product I bought is manufactured under the Cushcraft name which is not known for particularly  "low-cost" products. 

So the customer service department ignored my request for help choosing another antenna, ignored my intention to return the antenna to HRO and sent a part to me (which has not arrived yet).  The customer service department said they were forwarding my concerns to the owner but he has not chosen to respond.  Perhaps he hasn't had time.  Or perhaps he doesn't really care.  What do you think?

KL2TC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »

I like the antenna tuners that I have ordered from MFJ.  In fact, I've ordered a ton of stuff from them and so far I haven't had any clinkers.  Could it happen?  Sure.  Will I be interested in how they handle my problem?  Yep.  But, for a company that is making a go of it in the USA, I'm pretty happy to see them sticking around. 

I hope that they solve your problem, though it appears that your mind is made up to go elsewhere.  That is your right.  I just have to say that I like MFJ.  Based on the bashing that goes on around here I grit my teeth every time I order from them, I just haven't been disappointed is all.

Al
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »

A Cushcraft antenna with a missing part.
Sounds like the same old crap they pulled when
they were still plain old Cushcraft!   Cheesy

Just curious....when MFJ "acquires" another outfit
like Cushcraft, do they move it to Starkville?
(Guess it would depend on the size of the outfit they bought).
Are Ameritron, Hy-Gain, Mirage,Vectronics and
Cushcraft still at the sites they were "Pre MFJ"?
Irregardless
Are they pretty much allowed to operate as they were
before they got bought out?
OR
Does MFJ come in and say "OK, we're gonna change
this procedure, change that part, eliminate that step, etc"?

Or would it take an insider to really know?

I think we can gather our own conclusions
on the "Quality Control" MFJ introduces to their
newly acquired companies...
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:21:02 AM »

MFJ:

"Quality Control"?  We don't need no stinkin' Quality Control .....

John W5JON

KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »

It's a cultural thing originating with CB.
The D-104 is built heavy enough that we could sit back in our recliners and set the D-104 on the floor and key it with our big toe.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

So the end of the story is that they sent me a part and I returned the antenna and the part to HRO in Phoenix where the nice folks there exchanged it for a Diamond X-300.  Cushcraft never responded to my questions nor did Mr.  MFJ send me an email.  My guess is that management cares just about as much as quality control does. 

I will probably buy MFJ again in the future but I will not expect much.  I recently had the choice between the LDG 600 watt autotuner and the MFJ one for the same price.  I chose the LDG.  Who knows.  They might have been comparable but the reputation of MFJ tilted the table toward LDG.

I wish MFJ nothing but prosperity and continued success.  I just wish they would remember the folks that are responsible for that success.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: