Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Towers Disappointment  (Read 5347 times)
K5XS

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »

I had read reviews of poor, grumpy, or unresponsive counter service at Texas Towers, but figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt earlier this week.

Their A/C was having problems, and one man said something about the A/C being broken that I couldn't quite understand.  Fair enough.  But he and another man moved from place to place with paperwork in their hands, and neither said anything like "I'll be right with you" or even "Hi."

I stood at the counter for 12 minutes as they went about their business.  And I finally left without getting what I had come in for.  (I instead ordered it online from HRO and it was here in two days.)

I wanted to buy something.  I'm non-threatening and I am friendly.  But I was disappointed. 

I now understand the other comments I have heard and read.  I'll not be back.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:36:50 AM »

Maybe the AC problem put them in a mood or something as its been 100 degrees here last week with 60% humidity, very uncomfortable here. I have been in there several times and never really noticed that kind of behavior with them. They have always been ok with me. They dont really know me or anything, so Im not getting special treatment. I know when I first walk in thats its rather quiet and everyone is working on something, but after a few minuets they always say hi and can I help you or are you just looking. Who knows, everyone has bad days now and then. 73  Jim W5JJG
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:41:47 AM by SWMAN » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »

I had read reviews of poor, grumpy, or unresponsive counter service at Texas Towers, but figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt earlier this week.

Their A/C was having problems, and one man said something about the A/C being broken that I couldn't quite understand.  Fair enough.  But he and another man moved from place to place with paperwork in their hands, and neither said anything like "I'll be right with you" or even "Hi."

I stood at the counter for 12 minutes as they went about their business.  And I finally left without getting what I had come in for.  (I instead ordered it online from HRO and it was here in two days.)

I wanted to buy something.  I'm non-threatening and I am friendly.  But I was disappointed. 

I now understand the other comments I have heard and read.  I'll not be back.

Did you say "Hi" or even TRY to engage them?
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:56 AM »

Why should he - the CUSTOMER - have to do that?  Undecided

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »

Why should he - the CUSTOMER - have to do that?  Undecided

Why did he stand there for "12 minutes"?
AA7RX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:28 PM »

I think it's safe to assume that he was politely waiting for the staff to acknowledge his presence in their store. They should have done more than mumble about the A/C.

The fact that nobody bothered to engage this customer is a sign that they truly did not care to earn his business.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:10 AM »

Why did he stand there for "12 minutes"?

I don't know - I wouldn't have given them that long.

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:16:35 AM »

If you ever do go in there again, just walk right up to the counter and say "Hi" and see if that helps.
KA5IVR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »

I live within 2 miles of Texas Towers and I won't go in their due to the same type of experiences.  I also hear this over and over from local hams too.

I just don't understand their attitude toward local hams.  DFW is large enough to support a good Ham store.
W5ALJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »

I also live within 25 miles of Texas Towers and was thrilled that a real Ham Radio supply company would be close enough to visit. I've been there about a dozen times over the past few years and in every case, looked around at the very few used pieces of gear on display, perused the book and magazine rack, checked out the antennas displayed there, and to my surprise, absolutely no one ever came up to me to ask if I needed anything, or ever showed any interest in me being there. When I picked up a QST and went to the counter, one guy gruffly said that they don't accept debit cards for such a small amount. I didn't have any cash so they let me walk out empty handed. If you need a question answered, most of them are either on the phone, or just walking around shuffling papers. I actually felt uncomfortable in their store. In their defense, ONE TIME managed to buy some Rohn tower bolts and the salesman actually smiled at me. Frankly it's a shame that so little regard is given to a ham who shows up at their door. One would have much better luck dealing with them on the phone, which is apparently what they prefer. I'll only go back if I'm desperate to get what I need NOW!
W5ALJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »

I forgot one thing from my post above: Since 1966 I used to go to Madison Electronics in Houston when I came in from Louisiana and boy what a difference. Maybe it's just the fact that Ham Radio was much more popular back then, but you always got a great welcome there and it was so much fun going upstairs and actually operating the many pieces of equipment that was set up on that big table. "Friendly" wouldn't be an adequate description of their business method. It's a shame they have bit the dust like so many other amateur-only brick and mortar stores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: