Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ  (Read 82850 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 07:06:09 PM »

Mr. Hall,

Your comments about MFJ being "another Chinese ripoff company" are about as ascinine as a comment that you're a KKK member because you live in Kennesaw GA! Mr. Jue is from Indianola MS and, to my knowledge, has only visited China once.  I'm sure that Richard Stubbs, head of Customer Service, did forward your email to Martin. The President of five companies must delegate certain activities to subordinates. Do you call Ray Novak at Icom because a cable was omitted from your Icom order? And he's not close to being the CEO!

When you buy via a reseller, that's your point of contact regarding sale? Why should you expect Yaesu to send you a mic omitted from a FT-857D if you ordered it from HRO? MFJ doesnt have your money; HRO does!

MFJ is far from being a joke. They are a fine American company where someone turned a hobby into a company so successful that he didn't have time to write a dissertation to complete his Ph.D. In E.E.! Most companies, especially those with thin profit margins and high volume, will have QC issues. They have the same guarantee that Walmart does: a 'no matter what' return policy.

Have a nice day.

Frank
K4FMH

MFJ is a real joke. This is another Chinese rip off company. The products are not anywhere near what the ratings claim.

Complete junk.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »

Just a follow-up on the repair of my analyzer.   Got it back today.   New power switch was needed, as well as a soldered re-trace of something on the PCB.   I assume there was corrosion on both fronts that I couldn't detect.   They also calibrated it.   Works great.   Reasonable turnaround time and price.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

See the additional thread MFJ part 2
WA7URV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »

After my MFJ-4726 antenna switch developed a relay problem long past the product’s warranty, I decided to see if I could repair it.  I opened the case and discovered that the repair would be very difficult; it would have required tricky desoldering of several coax connectors directly soldered to the PC board.  Someone could easily criticize the design, but it is what it is.  I contacted MFJ to find out if I could purchase a replacement relay and also asked them if they had any hints regarding the apparent repair difficulty.  Without hesitation and without even asking “when did I purchase the product,” they told me they would send me a new unit and a return postage label (which they did).  This is an example of excellent customer service.  No questions, just satisfaction.  I definitely will continue to be a loyal MFJ customer!”
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »

The only thing that puzzles me about MFJ operations is their business model which seems to be  "it's better to offer a great warranty instead of great QC".  It must cost them a huge sum in repairs and shipping, something they could avoid with a better QC team.
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »

I had a great experience with a MFJ problem recently. I had bought a 269 antenna anaylzer accessories pack (from Hamcity) that was missing a dip coil. A quick call to their customer service department resulted in a dip coil in a couple of days delivered to my door. Great attitude and discussion on radios with theri representative. looking forward to doing more business with them in the future!
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

A Cushcraft antenna with a missing part.
Sounds like the same old crap they pulled when
they were still plain old Cushcraft!   Cheesy

Just curious....when MFJ "acquires" another outfit
like Cushcraft, do they move it to Starkville?
(Guess it would depend on the size of the outfit they bought).
Are Ameritron, Hy-Gain, Mirage,Vectronics and
Cushcraft still at the sites they were "Pre MFJ"?
Irregardless
Are they pretty much allowed to operate as they were
before they got bought out?
OR
Does MFJ come in and say "OK, we're gonna change
this procedure, change that part, eliminate that step, etc"?

Or would it take an insider to really know?

I think we can gather our own conclusions
on the "Quality Control" MFJ introduces to their
newly acquired companies...

All of the companies are located in Starkville, MS.  MFJ certainly has implemented new procedures, and in many cases, built entirely new tooling for certain products.  The Hy-Gain acquisition took some time to go from "acquisition to shipping product" because basically all MFJ received is a bunch of old Hy-Gain tooling for the aluminum antennas, but very little documentation.  On the other hand, the acquisition of Cuscraft went much more smoothly, as the acquired the tooling and the documentation from what I understand. 
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »

KD8MJR and others:

When I read these assertions about any company, my first instinct is to ask, "how do you know that"? (BTW, I don't know what to make of the criticism that some one uses lower case in an email which suggests that they aren't up to par, etc.) Well, I e-mailed the Director of Customer Service at MFJ and point-blank asked him about their QC procedures at MFJ. Here is his response:

"There is a line leader at the end of every production line, PC boards are tested first before being inserted into the metal cabinets, then tested again when inside their metal boxes. After hours, Chad, and two other guys that are production line leaders walk around our place and inspect the equipment scheduled to be packed. We have our QC process in place at MFJ and it can be seen on the videos that we have had produced. At Mike's Ameritron end, it works more or less the same way, but several big sub-assemblies are tested as separate components. Rob, Richard and John are the final testers after a line leader tests, then Mike of course walks around and inspects as well. Then at final packing, a big blower and vacuum are used to blow out solder blobs or excess wire, etc. There are, as with all manufacturing plants several steps in front of final testing and final packing."

Now, I'm sure some would say there ought to be this and that and that there should be NO QC errors. My response is to go into business for yourself and get back to the ham community in a few years with your luck with that!

Frank

The only thing that puzzles me about MFJ operations is their business model which seems to be  "it's better to offer a great warranty instead of great QC".  It must cost them a huge sum in repairs and shipping, something they could avoid with a better QC team.

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »

Now, I'm sure some would say there ought to be this and that and that there should be NO QC errors. My response is to go into business for yourself and get back to the ham community in a few years with your luck with that!

This says it all.   Everyone wants decent, affordable products.   The fact is that MFJ serves this niche, albeit with some problems that have historically slipped out the door.   If you want the very best, then you need to be prepared to pay for it...and even then there is the occasional lemon.    Is anyone willing to pay a premium price for a basic MFJ antenna tuner that currently costs $150 new?   If so, then there are other non-MFJ options you may choose right now.    No sense in griping about a known or perceived entity!   There is a reason that just about every ham has or has had MFJ gear.   They have a huge and diverse product line and they are priced low relative to other manufacturers.    Their equipment is usable if not exceedingly so.   If you get a lemon then it's usually easily sorted out by yourself or by the retailer or MFJ.   
WB4AUW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »

I love the attitude, "If it's cheap enough it doesn't matter whether it works or not".
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »

"QC, we don't need no stinkin QC"

Have your expectations of MFJ gone so low as to be excited and praise them for making an item that actually works the first time out of the box.  I hate to think of how excited you will be if it still works in 60 days.

Or could it be that at MFJ QC; "even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then". And an item with NO loose screws, washers, or nuts rolling around, cold, or no solder joints, or missing parts, are allowed to "escape" from the factory occasionally.

John W5JON - V47JA
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:28:05 AM by W5JON » Logged
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »

I guess I just don't see the issue here.  Lots of folks in this thread think MFJ sucks.  That's cool!  Why waste your time, though, talking about how MFJ sucks?   Reminds me of the wasted time on 14.313.   Just go buy something else!   Everyone has the freedom to pass over a brand and purchase something else!

I think that GM products suck.  Therefore, I don't buy them.  I also don't spend time on a car forum writing, in excruciating detail, how bad they suck.

W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 04:32:18 PM »

K3WEC:

Well excuse me for expressing/writing MY opinion and experiences with MFJ in a FORUM entitled "MFJ".  That is the "issue".

John W5JON
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »

John, I wasn't directing my comments to you directly....more towards the general vitriol and energy being spent against this company.  Disclaimer: I do own a couple MFJ products that are fine, but I really have no dog in this fight.  It just strikes me as odd that MFJ's QC legacy is known yet people keep buying their products and complaining.  

I apologize for offending you, as it was not my intent.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:06:20 PM by K3WEC » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

John,

I've checked all of your posts on eHam.net. I do NOT find any listings about your own QC issues with MFJ Enterprises. You state that you are writing about their "stinking" QC based on your experiences. Why don't you list them with specific products, the issue, what you did, and how MFJ apparently did not meet your expectations. Could you educate us with that information?

Frank
K4FMH

K3WEC:

Well excuse me for expressing/writing MY opinion and experiences with MFJ in a FORUM entitled "MFJ".  That is the "issue".

John W5JON
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: