About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ  (Read 77446 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 04:03:04 AM »

I guess I just don't see the issue here.  Lots of folks in this thread think MFJ sucks.  That's cool!  Why waste your time, though, talking about how MFJ sucks?   Reminds me of the wasted time on 14.313.   Just go buy something else!   Everyone has the freedom to pass over a brand and purchase something else!

I think that GM products suck.  Therefore, I don't buy them.  I also don't spend time on a car forum writing, in excruciating detail, how bad they suck.

Finally!  A statement that makes some sense.  Every manufacturer has issues.  The fact that MFJ seems to have more of them is really moot.  If you don't like their stuff, buy someone else's product!
VE1PEW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

I say hats off to MFJ.  Any company that can make it in a tough economy and supply products to such a small market is ok by me.  There's not really a lot of choice in Ham gear as far as I have seen in my short time in the hobby.  And, MFJ seems to be a supplier with a good cross section of the equipment needed for ham radio.  And the prices are reasonable enough to allow you to get a station up and running in a reasonable amount of time.  I have a few of their products and they all work as expected.  If I buy something that doesn't work I will just have to deal with that then.

73,Paul
VE1PEW

Insanity is hereditary.....you get it from your children.

VE1PEW - Licensed amateur since February 2011...a work in progress
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

I feel that one thing that hurts MFJ is the sheer size of its product line. I have had issues with one tuner. They fixed it twice. I followed directions and it was a tuner for 160 to 6 meters. I tuned it on 10 watts but that has let the magic smoke escape. Oh well. Looking around the shack I see several items that I have from MFJ. I have another tuner or 3 that I use for field use. Antenna switches, power supply, distribution strip. I have had problems with one item that they fixed. Stuff happens/
KA5KRV

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »

Okay, folks, here's another slam:  I have (had?) a 9420, worked well for a while but then didn't.  Sent it to Starkville in mid-January 2012 and, despite emails and phone calls, don't have it back yet.  Don't have an estimate yet.  Don't have an estimate on when I'll have it back yet.  If the repair staff is that busy it tells me that there's work to be had.  If you're a tech, apply now!  Then tell me when I'll get an estimate on when I'll get my xcvr back.  Please.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »

Hi Pete,

Who did you speak with at MFJ? Richard Stubbs is head of customer service. Email address?

Customer technical support is 1-800-647-8324 (their nickel). As for Richard specifically. I suspect that the problem will be rectified.

Frank
KA5KRV

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

Sent inquiry on company site on Monday--nothing back.  Called Thursday and talked to Mr Stubbs who says it's on the bench being diagnosed as we speak.  Five months to reach this point.....
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »

That's not very good, is it? I'll be in Starkville tomorrow giving a talk to the Magnolia ARC, of which Martin is a member. I'll pass this info along and see if it helps. I'd be aggravated too!

Frank
K4FMH
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »

As I already posted. Funny how we chant that how much we want and will buy MADE IN THE USA products but will turn around and criticize MFJ and American workers. Well, in the 36 years I have been a ham I have owned many products made by MFJ and its sister companies and have never and I mean never have had a problem. MFJ a a great company, who makes great products, employs many Americans, invests its profits in their community and has saved many great names that would have disappeared if MFJ had not bought then out. So cut this great company some slack and praise them for all they have done for our hobby. Or you can send your money to China, Russia, Japan, Italy, etc and help boost their economies.
VE1IDX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »

Five times in five threads already.  Roll Eyes
KA5KRV

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:20 AM »

Let me clear on this:  The item worked for a year and then something happened.  It went to the manufacturer out of warranty and it sat there for five months.  It's not the item, it's the service that is in question, at least as far as I'm concerned.   Mr Stubbs says one tech died, another was out sick for a while.  Okay, stuff happens--hire someone else, even for a short contract.  It all can't come to a screeching halt because 2 guys are not available for some reason (tho being dead is a pretty good reason). Starkville is an okay place to live (I was based at Columbus 'way back when) and plenty of folks are out there unemployed.  All that being said, my xcvr showed up on the 19th w/ no charge for whatever work got done.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

KA5KRV,

Thanks for the post. I related your info to Martin as I indicated that I would do. Are we to interpret that your MFJ transceiver now works acceptably?

73, Frank K4FMH
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »

"Are we to interpret that your MFJ transceiver now works acceptably?"  Or, "other then that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"   

If Mr. Jun was truely interested, he would occasionally take two minutes a day to read the "Product Reviews' on Eham, and compare the reviews that MFJ products receive, verses that of other companies.   I am sure if that were to happen many of the MFJ problems would be solved.  Listening to "friends", and employees does not seem to be getting the job done.   

John  W5JON

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:48 AM »

I have had more problems and poor customer service with newly purchased Yaesu equipment and no problems with new or used MFJ equipment.  Wink
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »

As I already posted. Funny how we chant that how much we want and will buy MADE IN THE USA products but will turn around and criticize MFJ and American workers. Well, in the 36 years I have been a ham I have owned many products made by MFJ and its sister companies and have never and I mean never have had a problem. MFJ a a great company, who makes great products, employs many Americans, invests its profits in their community and has saved many great names that would have disappeared if MFJ had not bought then out. So cut this great company some slack and praise them for all they have done for our hobby. Or you can send your money to China, Russia, Japan, Italy, etc and help boost their economies.

LOL Love the post, it's all about waving the Flag while taking one up the Butt for the country.  Sorry but I expect an American Product to be better than a Chinese product and I expect American Service to be better than anybody Else's.  

Pride in the USA is great so long as the company on the other end is not using my Pride against me and in this case and many others I think MFJ does not give a hoot what we think or how bad the products may be!  They simply feel that if you want better go ahead and by brand X for twice the price but If you want our stuff at half the price then shut-up and deal with bad solder joints and half assembled crap.  I don't know how much clearer Mr. Jun could make it, he does not care what Hams think about his products. Do you see him coming here or anywhere else to say anything about the multitude of complaints?  Do you see him trying to Fix any of the problems?  Is quality control any better this year than the last 10?  I rest my case.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:36:17 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »

deal with bad solder joints and half assembled crap. ....  the multitude of complaints?   Is quality control any better this year than the last 10?  I rest my case.

You haven't MADE a case--you've just offered some unsupported slurs.  What evidence do you have for "a multitude of complaints?"  What evidence do you have that quality control is not improved?   If you're going to CLAIM these things as facts, you'll need to prove them. 

Personally, I haven't had a QC problem with a piece of MFJ gear in YEARS.  I'd say QC is vastly better than in previous years--though that doesn't stop some people from whining about it.

If you have evidence, let's have it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: