About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ  (Read 85046 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »

You haven't MADE a case--you've just offered some unsupported slurs.  What evidence do you have for "a multitude of complaints?"  What evidence do you have that quality control is not improved?   If you're going to CLAIM these things as facts, you'll need to prove them. 

Personally, I haven't had a QC problem with a piece of MFJ gear in YEARS.  I'd say QC is vastly better than in previous years--though that doesn't stop some people from whining about it.

If you have evidence, let's have it.

Hmmm I guess names like "Mighty Fine Junk" and "Mississippi's finest Junk" have no real bearing.  Type them into google and see the flood of "Slurs" that come up Wink  Go to Eham review section and look at thing like AL-1300 and many other parts that they make.  Dear God why am I even arguing this point, it's like arguing with someone who says NASA faked the moon landings.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »

I don't think the Presidents of Yaesu, Icom (or even the US underling Ray Novak), Kenwood, Ten-Tec, Elecraft, and so forth monitor eHam or QRZed. They have multiple businesses to run! Why would we expect Martin Jue (not Jun...get his name right if you're going to criticize) to spend any of his time reading these pages?

The reason that the head of customer support, Richard Stubbs, doesn't read eHam is that the vast majority---but with a few exceptions---post gross over-generalizations without facts or particulars of the matter. I know this from many personal discussions with Richard over the years. It becomes a waste of his time. Richard, like VP Stephen Pan and other MFJ management, also hit the road to attend hamfests (see the MFJ Facebook page). Richard is on the road part of the year but does research FACTUAL complaints.

The fact that it took five or six months to get this out of warranty MFJ transceiver repaired, albeit without charge, IS too long to be called satisfactory service. However, it is no different than some of the very same issues that Yaesu, in particular, have faced...as reported herein and on QRZed!

eHam, and to a lesser degree QRZed, have discredited themselves by the continual postings of Trolls (google that!) who want to vent some prejudice against a particular vendor---often ethnic such as the assertions that MFJ is a "Chinese" company but somehow Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood escape this---because they weren't treated like Hiram Percy Maxim who stooped to spending a few of their dollars with a low-margin company that is MFJ. Try that at your local muffler shop and they'll likely show you the door.

For the Trolls out there: MFJ doesn't need your business. They're salvaging other companies to keep most of their product line alive for the ham community. They're not being bought, not that offers haven't been made. I'd wager that EVERY Hamfest in the US would love for MFJ to attend as a vendor. They certainly get asked but financial returns on the cost make that not feasible.

So keep on making eHam's Company Reviews less and less relevant. Fewer vendors will concern themselves with the slurs and non-factual statements. Just because some smart-ass coined the phrase might fine junk but doesn't have the verbal skills to tackle Icom, Yaesu, or Kenwood does not constitute "facts". The Trolls who make this argument remind me of the logic that racial epithets hurled against Blacks were based on. Go hide under another company's bridge for a change! MFJ's sales will be just "mighty fine"!

Frank
K4FMH

"Are we to interpret that your MFJ transceiver now works acceptably?"  Or, "other then that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"   

If Mr. Jun was truely interested, he would occasionally take two minutes a day to read the "Product Reviews' on Eham, and compare the reviews that MFJ products receive, verses that of other companies.   I am sure if that were to happen many of the MFJ problems would be solved.  Listening to "friends", and employees does not seem to be getting the job done.   

John  W5JON

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

You haven't MADE a case--you've just offered some unsupported slurs.If you have evidence, let's have it.

Hmmm I guess names like "Mighty Fine Junk" and "Mississippi's finest Junk" have no real bearing.  Type them into google and see the flood of "Slurs" that come up

Once again, that is unquantified anecdotal evidence--it doesn't say a WORD about what the company's actual satisfaction level is with consumers.   Big companies spend a LOT of money assessing this, with professionals using scientific techniques.   "Unsupported slurs"  are not evidence.  Doesn't that make sense to you?
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »

AC4RD:

As a Ph.D. Professional who has designed and conducted many such studies, I am well aware of what BIG companies spend to assess customer satisfaction. This always goes into the mark-up of each product's retail price. Bose Sound is a great example of this, better sound through marketing. Tivoli sounds better to my ears but I own a half dozen Bose products.

BIG companies don't makes these data available unless they're most positive. Haven't seen smaller companies like Ten-Tec or Elecraft release such "recall" statistics either.

Unsupported slurs are those which use such petty and juvenile derogatory terms like might fine junk or MFJ being a "Chinese" company. Pat statements like "everybody knows MFJ sends out all their products with missing parts" are unsupported slurs. There are no facts here, just opinions. It is a fact that there is a herd of hams who buy into negative press about MFJ, just like Microsoft propagates about Apple and Linux: fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Now, what is it about this do you not understand?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

AC4RD:
Unsupported slurs are those which use such petty and juvenile derogatory terms like might fine junk or ...  There are no facts here, just opinions.

Buddy, you have misunderstood me.  I've been saying all along that there is NO 'evidence' that MFJ products are of poor quality, that they don't provide good customer service, or that any significant number of hams are dissatisfied with MFJ.  I've owned (as I said earlier) LOTS of MFJ products, and I haven't had a problem with any one of them in YEARS.  I like the MFJ company and wish them well.

I'm the one who said that a handful of angry kooks writing complaints on websites is NOT evidence of anything--I'm the one who spoke of the "unsupported slurs" against the company by a handful of angry cranks.  And I've invited the angry folks to provide evidence, if they have any.

I do believe we're on the same side, here.  See my point?

It occurred to me after my last message, by the way, that judging by their product line and the size of their catalogs over recent years, we actually DO have evidence that MFJ provides good products at good prices, and that large numbers of hams are perfectly satisfied with MFJ products.  It's not direct evidence, but the fact that the company is growing and bringing out new products of increasing sophistication, even in these bad economic times, suggests that the vast majority of customers are very satisfied.  Lots of American companies have crashed in recent years, but MFJ seems to be thriving.  A company can't thrive if they don't satisfy their customers.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »

Frank,

We all know what Ph.D stands for, and also what MFJ stands for.  

I guess you will continue to justify all the bad Eham Reviews, and the page after page of complaints on a Google search of "Mighty Fine Junk", as just some kind of vast juvenile conspiracy and "unsupported slurs", and just continue to deny and ignore the facts.

If MR. JUE sees no reason, or has no time, or interest to even look, and learn from the FREE reviews his customers are writing, and just listen to Ph.D's, I have no doubt the "MFJ" reviews will continue.  

Having worked for a international $11B+ company for almost 30 years. One of the many reasons we grew that large was by constantly reading and listening to what our customers had to say GOOD or BAD, and not always listening to our Marketing Ph.D's.      

ASSUMING the "Presidents of Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Ten-Tec, Elecraft, and so forth monitor eHam" do not read what their customers, are writing, it would be understandable as NOT one of them has the reputation of making "Mighity Fine Junk", as MFJ DOES.

As a note, I ALWAYS buy USA Made products if they are equal to or better then foreign products.  I do not buy USA Products if the product or support is inferior.  

So keep beleiving in the vast juvenile conspiracy and .......

73 and DX,

John  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:52:44 PM by W5JON » Logged
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 02:15:51 PM »

"Having worked for a international $11B+ corporation for almost 30 years. One of the many reasons we grew that large was by constantly reading and listening to what our customers had to say GOOD or BAD, and not always listening to our Marketing Ph.D's."

BTW that $11B+ corporation owned Heathkit from 1962 - 1979. As you may recall Heathkit had a very wide range of products.  Even today 50 years later, I do not see the "vast juvenile conspiracy" refering to it as "junk".     However some say, many MFJ products may be refered as a "kit", because of all the loose parts and poor or unsoldered components, requiring completion ...... read the reviews......  

Oh that's right, all the bad reviews and comments "are a vast juvenile conspiracy".   

John      

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:38:32 PM by W5JON » Logged
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

W5JON

Might I ask what MFJ products you own or have purchased that are defective? Just curious to see if you are a dissatisfied customer or propagating the juvenile rumors, as you put it
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »

You asked, so here are a "few" of MY experiences with MFJ, all were purchased new:

My MFJ-259B Analyzer -   Defective center pin on SO239 connector.  - I replaced it with a silver SO-239.
My other MFJ-259B Analyzer - Cold solder connection to holder for the batteries -  I resoldered.
My MFJ-962C Antenna Tuner -  Two wires to band switch unsoldered.  Nut and lock washer rolling around inside. -                                            I soldered and replaced the screw.
My MFJ-949E Antenna Tuner -  Unsoldered Meter wire. - I soldered.
My MFJ-1704 Antenna switch - Two switch positions not adjusted and not making contact. - Adjusted myself.

There are more, but I think you get the idea.  

I would guess that ''NIB" about 25% of that I have purchased from MFJ had a problem. In most cases I fixed the problem myself, rather then go through the long wait, and all the return problems.

I wonder if Mr. Jue shares K4FMH attituded that "MFJ doesn't need your business", if so that is a very sad situation.

73 and DX,

John

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:19:41 PM by W5JON » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

Ken,

I did in fact misunderstand your post! Thanks for clarifying it. Yes, we are on the same side here. Indeed, none of the ham manufacturers do or are likely to release returns or manufacturer-caused problems with the products they make. So that indeed makes it a moot point regarding who actually has higher or lower customer satisfaction.

It's indeed a shame for Trolls to degrade this Forum with trumped-up tirades. But, being a sensible consumer isn't on any of the amateur radio examinations!

Frank

AC4RD:
Unsupported slurs are those which use such petty and juvenile derogatory terms like might fine junk or ...  There are no facts here, just opinions.

Buddy, you have misunderstood me.  I've been saying all along that there is NO 'evidence' that MFJ products are of poor quality, that they don't provide good customer service, or that any significant number of hams are dissatisfied with MFJ.  I've owned (as I said earlier) LOTS of MFJ products, and I haven't had a problem with any one of them in YEARS.  I like the MFJ company and wish them well.

I'm the one who said that a handful of angry kooks writing complaints on websites is NOT evidence of anything--I'm the one who spoke of the "unsupported slurs" against the company by a handful of angry cranks.  And I've invited the angry folks to provide evidence, if they have any.

I do believe we're on the same side, here.  See my point?

It occurred to me after my last message, by the way, that judging by their product line and the size of their catalogs over recent years, we actually DO have evidence that MFJ provides good products at good prices, and that large numbers of hams are perfectly satisfied with MFJ products.  It's not direct evidence, but the fact that the company is growing and bringing out new products of increasing sophistication, even in these bad economic times, suggests that the vast majority of customers are very satisfied.  Lots of American companies have crashed in recent years, but MFJ seems to be thriving.  A company can't thrive if they don't satisfy their customers.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »

W5JON:

I do not speak for MFJ or Martin F. Jue personally and have no financial consideration in his companies. I'm just a fellow ham who is a personal friend of someone who has forgotten more electronics and business principles than either you or I ever knew. However, I do know that MFJ stands for Martin's name, not some trumped up smart-aleck (yes, juvenile) acronym!

You've either had an extraordinary run of bad luck, given the QC procedures in place at the MFJ, Hygain/Cushcraft, and Ameritron/Mirage factories, or your shipping delivery person likes to drop-kick your boxes from the depot to your house.

My point is that you shouldn't buy from MFJ given these terrible experiences. No one should! However, I don't think that their sales will be hurt--in fact, I'm told that they're up this year over last which was up over the previously down year--which must lead me to conclude that most customers are getting an acceptable (read working) product for the price they're paying. MFJ will likely be around because they've continued to improve their product line, including QC procedures; innovate new products; and not build products that won't sell (i.e., don't have a market).

I do know without doubt that Martin cares about his customers. But he doesn't have to spend his time reading crap posted by Trolls. There are other more reliable sources of info than a few banty roosters clucking on eHam who have to be verbally held down until they fork over specific particulars! I would be disappointed if any President of five manufacturing companies catered to ethnic slur-laced comments on a lightly monitored website. Why don't you just write-up your experiences along with your 30-odd years of experience as to how he should run MFJ Enterprises. Or, just stay under the eHam bridge and be one of the "well-known" Trolls (Google that for your style of evidence...the kind that Ph.D.s won't touch).

Here's to America where we have the freedom to express ourselves, some more logically than others.

Frank
K4FMH

You asked, so here are a "few" of MY experiences with MFJ, all were purchased new:

My MFJ-259B Analyzer -   Defective center pin on SO239 connector.  - I replaced it with a silver SO-239.
My other MFJ-259B Analyzer - Cold solder connection to holder for the batteries -  I resoldered.
My MFJ-962C Antenna Tuner -  Two wires to band switch unsoldered.  Nut and lock washer rolling around inside. -                                            I soldered and replaced the screw.
My MFJ-949E Antenna Tuner -  Unsoldered Meter wire. - I soldered.
My MFJ-1704 Antenna switch - Two switch positions not adjusted and not making contact. - Adjusted myself.

There are more, but I think you get the idea.  

I would guess that ''NIB" about 25% of that I have purchased from MFJ had a problem. In most cases I fixed the problem myself, rather then go through the long wait, and all the return problems.

I wonder if Mr. Jue shares K4FMH attituded that "MFJ doesn't need your business", if so that is a very sad situation.

73 and DX,

John

W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »

K4FMH:

You say "your shipping delivery person likes to drop-kick your boxes from the depot to your house."
I guess he also unsoldered all those wires.

You say "just stay under the eHam bridge and be one of the "well-known" Trolls".  
So I guess if someone has a problem with a MFJ product and clearly lists them, he/she should just shut up, not review the problem, and not buy from MFJ again, or risk be called a "troll". Great logic.

You say, "Here's to America where we have the freedom to express ourselves"
I agree, as I served in the US Navy (NSS Annapolis, MD and on the USS Escape, 1965-1969) for that freedom.

You say, "some more logically than others."
Sorry but this 67 year old; 30 year, retired, corporate District Manager, for an $11B corporation, will never be as concise, articulate and logical as you, a scolastic Ph.D.

You say, "catered to ethnic slur-laced comments".
Indeed someone made a low life, ethnic slur about Mr Jue a year ago. But for some unknown reason you seem intent on mentioning it in many of your eHam posts.

You say, "and be one of the "well-known" Trolls".
I searched, but nowhere could I find "W5JON" as being a eHAM Troll.  All I can find was mentioned is my being continuously licensed for 53 years.  

You need to be careful, your 77 eHam Posts in 2 1/2 years, are quickly catching up to my 83 eHam posts in 2 3/4 years, so soon you may be accused of being a "troll".  :-)

73 and DX,

John  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:51:09 PM by W5JON » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »

John, W5JON:

I have always asked:

A. Show some respect for MFJ as standing for a man's name rather than some juvenile cutsy acronym (e.g., rather than Juvenile On Ham Nonsense for John);

B. State very specific FACTS that can be dealt with by the company (e.g., not sweeping generalizations based upon singular experience backed up by "everybody knows" that MFJ stands for....);

C. Be consistent in criticisms of the company (e.g., Yaesu has had similar tech support issues over length of time in repair or quick return shipping without repair of the stated problem; Kenwood & Icom have had similar issues) as it makes little sense to bash one company for something that virtually all do;

D. No ethnic slurs (i.e., MFJ is a "Chinese" ripoff company). Martin was born in the MS Delta and took his wife and daughter to China once time to see the Great Wall, as I recall, very much like other native-born Americans do. His father ran a grocery store in Indianola MS. His grandfather worked on the Transcontinental Railroad and was born in China. MFJ is a US company;

E. Being a Troll isn't about frequency of postings but about the nature and tone of their content!

Most hams who are pleased with a product line---regardless of the manufacturer---tend to be silent on Forums. Notice I said "tend," not an absolute. Because of this, the rationale that "everyone knows what MFJ stands for" is as bogus as it gets...something that Ken-AC4RD tried to point out to us since none if the companies will ever publish their return or repair by product SKU rates. That line of reasoning does not prove anything!

If you've had bad experiences with a company, resolve them FIRST with the customer support service at the company. MFJ would have replaced every one of your products within 30 days free of charge (or refunded your money). You chose not to use that option but then incessantly whine about it on eHam's Forum.

In fact, your review of the MFJ 962C tuner with the cold solder joints never mentioned the problem:

"The 962C works great with my ZS6BKW Dipole, and my Vertical. Tunes almost all the bands better then 1.5:1, and had it for a couple years with never a problem. I read all the trouble stories about the 962"D" version, with the Roller Inductor, and waited till I could find the older "C" with the switched Inductor, and have never regretted it. I agree that MFJ made(s) some real junk, this is not one of them.

John W5JON - V47JA"

Then, if you still can't get satisfaction---as your latest Company Review posting indicates---then do what a rational person would do: don't buy from that company! But don't expect a company President to hang on this Forum to calm your nerves because a screw came loose in shipping or because you declined to take the time to swap it out or get your money back. Honestly, the product margins simply are not there (something that your stated business experience should understand). That's one reason why many companies have abandoned the ham radio market or have escalated their prices upwards of $5K-$10K for flagship products. It's too lucrative in the commercial markets. But then, I'm preaching to the choir with someone who worked at a $10B annual sales revenue, right?

So if you've got factual issues with MFJ or any other company that were simply unresolved after using their customer support system, then post them without slurs. Most hams can appreciate and understand those terms. But it sure is easier to just pounce and vent without accountability to your fellow amateurs --- something you've denied having in previous posts --- than follow some guidelines that embrace integrity and fairness, part of the ham radio credo.

Be careful this hurricane season as you off-shore your DX,

Frank
K4FMH
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »

Frank K4FMH,

You make some interesting points, all repeated from your previous posts, but interesting.

The fact is, if you live on a Caribbean Island, it is wise to have two of everything, that is why I had two MFJ-962C's, one that had the problem that I stated here, the other has worked perfect from day of purchase. Last year I replaced one of the MFJ-962C's with a Palstar AT-AUTO, and kept the other as a spare.   

Although MFJ offers an exceptional Warranty, the cost (and time) involved in round trip shipping, plus import tax, of an item from/to the Island often exceeds the cost of the item, hence I choose to repair them myself whenever possible.   Ideally a NIB item should not have any problems, assuming the manufacturer has a competent QC department. So the "free" warrentee repair is far from "Free".  The fact is, a solid pre-sale QC Department is far more valuable to me then a after-sale "no questions warranty".

That is why I also have two MFJ-259B's, two transceivers (TS-590s and FT857D), four Astron PS, two amplifiers, two Heil Prosets, etc., etc., at our home on St. Kitts. 

Frank, I believe we have about beat this topic to death, and I appreciate our spirited debate. I am also sure Mr. Jue is an honorable and experienced businessman, and that many MFJ products are exceptional, and others are NOT, without problems.

However for me this discussion is over, therefore I choose to agree with you on some points, and disagree on others.

I'm outa here.

73, DX, and GL in the contest,

John  W5JON  -  V47JA

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

Me top, John! Have fun in de Islands....

Frank
K4FMH
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: