About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ  (Read 53980 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:24 AM »

Since John hasn't responded in a few days since I posted this, I've sent him a personal message that his reply has been requested.

Frank

John,

I've checked all of your posts on eHam.net. I do NOT find any listings about your own QC issues with MFJ Enterprises. You state that you are writing about their "stinking" QC based on your experiences. Why don't you list them with specific products, the issue, what you did, and how MFJ apparently did not meet your expectations. Could you educate us with that information?

Frank
K4FMH

K3WEC:

Well excuse me for expressing/writing MY opinion and experiences with MFJ in a FORUM entitled "MFJ".  That is the "issue".

John W5JON
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »

Hi Frank,

Sorry I did not answer you fast enough,  however I have been traveling, and am currently at our St Kitts QTH  (V47JA). I will be down here for the next month, and unable to respond to YOUR DEMANDS.

Besides, I am sorry but  I feel I do not owe you or  anyone else a detailed explaination for "MY opinions and experiences", anymore then you owe me an detailed explaination for any of your posts, as the official MFJ cheerleader.

BTW, this is an DISCUSSION FORUM, NOT A LEGAL FORUM, so get off your high horse.

73 and good luck in the contest,

John  W5JON   -   V47JA     
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »

John,

A forum is a place to share opinions, for sure, but without specifics on what leads to your opinions doesn't contribute to a factual understanding of why the problem exists. Twice you've responded in a haughty, high-handed way when contributors to this thread have asked you follow-up questions. This is the Forum-equivalent of Lid behavior on air!

If emphasizing facts in the face of ultra derogatory comments makes me a cheerleader, then give me an M, give me an F, give me a J...

Your comments that MFJ does not or want to have QC procedures is something that I've shown is wrong, wrong, wrong. I asked their Director of Customer Service, Richard Stubbs, what the QC procedures were, including at Ameritron which is located in a separate building several miles away. I quoted what Richard said to me above, demonstrating that MFJ does indeed have conventional QC procedures. BTW, they are not much different in principle from those used by Viking Range in Greenwood MS. I know this because I've visited both plants in person on more than one occasion. Not a top of the head opinion but direct observation.

Before retirement, I was a college professor at MSU in Starkville and a member of both the student and local ARCs. We took tours of all three MFJ manufacturing sites during production hours several times. I've personally witnessed products that I've purchased on a walk-in basis being built and then put through QC procedures before going through packaging on the way to check-out payment.

John, these are all based on direct experience which I gladly share with this Forum. I don't have to but choose to do so because that's what other readers want.

The shame of it all is that one can read about issues with QC at, say, Yaesu but there's no raging outcry if they simply won't repair a product. MFJ gives a 30-day no matter what refund. Who else does?

Have fun in St Kitts...be careful with the turbulent weather.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Sorry I did not answer you fast enough,  however I have been traveling, and am currently at our St Kitts QTH  (V47JA). I will be down here for the next month, and unable to respond to YOUR DEMANDS.

Besides, I am sorry but  I feel I do not owe you or  anyone else a detailed explaination for "MY opinions and experiences", anymore then you owe me an detailed explaination for any of your posts, as the official MFJ cheerleader.

BTW, this is an DISCUSSION FORUM, NOT A LEGAL FORUM, so get off your high horse.

73 and good luck in the contest,

John  W5JON   -   V47JA     
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

For those old enough to have watched the TV comedy, Saturday Night Live, since it's inception in 1975, you may recall the parody of the CBS 60 Minutes "Point, Counter-Point" segments involving a man whose name escapes me and Jane Alexander. One of the frequent punch lines from the man whose opinions suffered terribly from gross over-generalizations and a lack of facts was, "Jane, you ignorant slut!". Somehow I'm reminded of this comedic exchange with your comments, Mr. Hall.

IF you've got FACTS, state them. In all of the things I've bought from MFJ Enterprises, going back to the early 1980s (an active SWL antenna, the MFJ-1020, which I sold on eBay a year ago for more than I paid for it in 1980!), I have NEVER had a malfunctioning item! Now, that's unusual, for any company. I DO NOT generalize from my own experiences that no one else never has QC problems with MFJ equipment. There are certainly those factual cases. But it is not the literal 98 percent that you claim! So, list your FACTS and not your gross generalizations.

Also, do your initials stand for Most Juvenile Ham (from Michael J. Hall)? MFJ stands for Martin F. Jue, a man's name. While Martin's in business and you can therefore call him what you will, you are not in business of manufacturing amateur radio equipment. Somehow, I don't think you would appreciate being called Most Juvenile Ham instead of your rightful name. Follow the Amateur Radio Creed and show a little respect!

Frank

MFJ is translated as Mighty Fine Junk. This stuff is really hit or miss. Sometimes you can get a piece that works. However most of it is just plain junk. Every company they buy turns to crap overnight. You would be better off building your own stuff as opposed to buying this, having to ship it back three times, then still not having a working product as sold. None of the retailers will stand behind this stuff. Its just another example of a complete rip off 98% of the time.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »

Michael,

How about Joe Friday instead....just the facts, Mam!

Frank

Thanks Little Mary Sunshine!
KD2AJN

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

MFJ:
Mighty Fine Junk
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »

Hey Joseph! Have you gotten on HF yet? Have you even bought or even used MFJ products yet?

Frank

MFJ:
Mighty Fine Junk
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »

I have several MFJ product. Most have worked flawlessly but I have had problems with one of their antenna tuners. The inductor coil has turned into toast twice. I always tuned at 5 or 10 watts. I would always double check when I went to full power to make sure no issues. I had to keep an extra tuner just in case. The antenna analyzer has worked flawlessy along with the antenna radio switch. Some items they sale are very hard to find else where.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »

Michael Hall: MFJ is a privately-held company. They do not offer "stock" for sale. I'm not sensitive about their products but I question people who rant with such venom without offering any facts. In your case, you argue that you don't have to! No one will pay much attention to your comments without facts, including me. Again, this thread spoke of a specific product purchase and issues. They were satisfactorily RESOLVED. Without a complete set of facts, opinions aren't worth much to others. Now, I'm QRT on this original thread, too.

Frank

MFH do you own stock in MFJ or something? Man you are very sensitive about MFJ's products.
KD4EUH

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »

Bottom line--if you don't like MFJ---just don't buy their products.
John
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »

I have owned several MFJ products and they seemed fine for the most part. I've had a 495 keyer for over 10 years. I've had several tuners, rigs, and other stuff. I think I had one item not work, but returned, and received a replacement without a problem.

The 1 item that was/is a poor design, and that was the 4114 battery power supply - the one that uses 12 D cells. It worked fine but the plastic battery holders began to crack and come apart after a while. Certainly there are better options than that unit, but I got it as a part of the portable QRP station. Its been quite some time since I had that unit so it may or may not have been upgraded. I think I rated it a 0 on the review.

Maybe I've been lucky, but overall I have been satisfied with their products and service.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

There is no denying that MFJ fills a need in the Amateur community. To provide a variety of items for the ham at a reasonable price. However, their QC leaves something to be desired. As someone who has had their ALS-1300 Solid State amplifier fail 4 times in a year, I should know. It finally took getting a complete PS replacement to correct the issue. Recently I purchased a MFJ-852 Line Noise receiver and upon opening the case, found the positive lead of the battery was broken off. I'm pretty sure I didn't do it opening the case, so it was probably done at the factory, or was just barely holding on by a couple of strands and broke off being jostled. Also if you look at how the receiver is mounted on the Yagi antenna, they use two bent brackets that attach from the "Driven/Active" element to the studs on each side of the receiver. The problem is that the brackets are the same size, while the attachment to the antenna elements are offset. So once you install the brackets you soon find that your receiver won't attach without modifications. So you get out the hammer and go to work making one of the brackets longer so you can get the receiver mounted. My point being, how hard would it have been for MFJ to send one bracket that was slightly longer so you wouldn't have to do this?

Their lack of attention to detail and quality control is what gives MFJ it's reputation. Considering the amount of negative posts I've seen over that past few months since I got back into the hobby, plus my own experience with MFJ products, they probably deserve it. I only hope they will improve and confidence in buying their products will be restored.

John K7KB
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »

John,

Now these are FACTS...good, bad, or ugly. Bravo!

Frank
K4FMH

There is no denying that MFJ fills a need in the Amateur community. To provide a variety of items for the ham at a reasonable price. However, their QC leaves something to be desired. As someone who has had their ALS-1300 Solid State amplifier fail 4 times in a year, I should know. It finally took getting a complete PS replacement to correct the issue. Recently I purchased a MFJ-852 Line Noise receiver and upon opening the case, found the positive lead of the battery was broken off. I'm pretty sure I didn't do it opening the case, so it was probably done at the factory, or was just barely holding on by a couple of strands and broke off being jostled. Also if you look at how the receiver is mounted on the Yagi antenna, they use two bent brackets that attach from the "Driven/Active" element to the studs on each side of the receiver. The problem is that the brackets are the same size, while the attachment to the antenna elements are offset. So once you install the brackets you soon find that your receiver won't attach without modifications. So you get out the hammer and go to work making one of the brackets longer so you can get the receiver mounted. My point being, how hard would it have been for MFJ to send one bracket that was slightly longer so you wouldn't have to do this?

Their lack of attention to detail and quality control is what gives MFJ it's reputation. Considering the amount of negative posts I've seen over that past few months since I got back into the hobby, plus my own experience with MFJ products, they probably deserve it. I only hope they will improve and confidence in buying their products will be restored.

John K7KB
BORISIO

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

Measuring the packed items is a standard procedure for many companies.  It cannot detect missing a very small parts, but as long as you get it later, I see no reason to make a big deal of it.  Ihate to say that, but we are witnesses of an industrial destruction of USA.  So don't get surprized you see the qualkity levels and support getting lower and lower. 
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »

I know this is an old thread, and over the last year I have read a lot about MFJ, a company I had never heard of before.

Some of the main complaints people seem to have about this thread is that this is old news, they have never had a problem, and quit your griping.

Some posters forget that there are continually a lot of new hams who are just now figuring out who sells what and this forum is a great place to find out what to expect from the people who make our equipment.  Without this forum, I would expect that companies make things that work the first time and rarely have any issues; this is what I have come to expect these days after the Japanese, and subsequently the rest of Asia took over our manufacturing.  The stuff I buy from Amazon and Target and others just works.  Generally, if it is a problem, these distributors dump the bad product and go to the competition.  We have forgotten the good old "made in USA" days where you could choose the level of quality control starting with Zenith at the top and working down from there.

This forum prepared me for the potential problems and allowed me to budget for these issues when I chose Ameritron or MFJ for a source.  That way I was ready, if need be, to blow $50 to ship back an 811H.  Given the lack of competition and alternative choices they are simply the only choice some times.

It is a shame that so many of our different products and suppliers have so many issues.  If such were the case in the PC industry we would be 20 years behind where we are today.  Guess that is just the way things are when you have a hobby with such a small market.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:43:36 AM by W9KDX » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: