Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Radio  (Read 24113 times)
KG5UN

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

I have had excellent signals all evening from pirate station X-FM on 6.940 AM

Mostly classic rock, very high quality.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »

I've always wondered about domestic pirate stations, but never been lucky enough to pick any up.

I really wonder if a lot of pirate announcers sound like Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and play hard rock music which has a lot of overdriven guitars?  Huh
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »

I've always wondered about domestic pirate stations, but never been lucky enough to pick any up.

I really wonder if a lot of pirate announcers sound like Jeff Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and play hard rock music which has a lot of overdriven guitars?  Huh

Listen between 6925 and 6950KHz on the weekends, and you have a pretty good chance of hearing some.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »

If you listen to the end of their broadcast they almost always give a post office box number so you can write for a QSL card. I have received several cards in the past, some are rather interesting.
73 Jim W5JJG
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »

I caught at least an hour and a half of a pirate broadcast on 6.925 last Saturday night. It was Undercover Radio with Dr. Benway. Definitely not the run of the mill oldies and "humor" broadcast. Clips of William S. Burroughs readings, some music, and stories read/performed with audio bed. Interesting enough to keep me from turning the dial for almost 2 hours. Benway was taking emails while live on the air.
K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »

I've been lucky enough to hear a few, although I could only identify one.  That was Wolverine Radio, which does not provide QSL cards.  Sad
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:59 AM »

I havnt heard any pirate radio stations in all the years I've listened to shortwave and ham radio .  I guess I'm not listening in the right places or trying very hard  Smiley  Tell me more about 'em .  Those of you that have gotten QSL cards do they specify what kind of equipment , power , antennas they use ?  I have read they usually run SSB  but if they are playing music some must use AM to get decent sound . 

No ,  I'm not from the FCC ,  just curious ,  and what motivates somebody to risk getting in trouble to bootleg .  But then , people do all kinds of stuff to get their kicks .  I suppose its the thrill of getting away with something . 

N7BDY
JAHAM2BE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »

In this part of the world (Japan) there's a ham station (apparently licensed) who broadcasts music frequently on 3553 kHz, SSB, right in the middle of the ham band. I happened upon the station by chance a few months ago, and some digging reveals it's been going on since at least 2008.

EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

When I worked on Radio Dublin(Pirate) we were just trying to provide a youth music alternative to the ageing state monopoly station RTE.
Other Pirate stations like Radio Caroline did the same.
Even though we had better listenership than the national broadcaster we still couldn't get a license. We were constantly jammed by RTE and were raided and closed down many times by the state authorities. This didn't stop RTE poaching our best presenters or changing their program format to meet ours.
We like to take credit for dragging these guys into the 20th Century!
Today, Pirate Radio seems more about mediocrity and interference and less about providing a 'free' alternative to mainstream radio.

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:18:24 AM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
WI0H

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

I've been lucky enough to hear a few, although I could only identify one.  That was Wolverine Radio, which does not provide QSL cards.  Sad

Wolverine Radio does QSL, but its with a SSTV image at the end of the broadcast. I've never been at the right receiver at the right time to catch one though.
RADI0HEAD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »

6.925, 6.950 & 6.955 are popular frequencies for pirate broadcasts. Check AM as well as SSB.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:47:42 AM by RADI0HEAD » Logged
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 07:48:47 AM »

If you listen to the end of their broadcast they almost always give a post office box number so you can write for a QSL card. I have received several cards in the past, some are rather interesting.
73 Jim W5JJG

Before e-QSLs became popular, the first QSL I got from a pirate station was from Alan Maxwell at KIPM - 8.5x11" glossy, very professional Smiley
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »

Yah, for shure KIPM and Alan Maxwell has a great QSL card. I always liked listening to their strange but good programs. havent heard them in quite a while though. I wonder if they are still on the air ?
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »

I haven't seen any loggings of KIPM in a while.

The scene went through ups and downs since then...splits...still a lot of fun programming out there Smiley
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

I was pretty regular on 6955 during the early 90's. AM definitely better than SSB, especially when the audio reports come in with positive response. There are people out there who appreciate a good sounding AM station.
I think the reason folks do this, is that it's their equipment, their sound, their program, when THEY want to be on the air. Maybe weekly or sporadically to avoid any schedule that the FCC might catch.
No monthly fee to be on a licensed station and no censorship..
Plus it's more fun to get that neat QSL card from someone in another country that just happened to be listening. With a kilowatt into a good vertical tuned to 6955, I got into S. Africa one cold December night and they even sent an aircheck tape. Pretty beat up reception all that distance, but the nice fully modulated carrier broke through.
Right now doing legal broadcasting on a 50KW short wave station in Monticello Maine on Friday nights.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: