Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Softrock Ensemble RX  (Read 13057 times)
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »

I was easily able to use a soldering iron with a fine tip, and fine wire solder, to do my Ensemble RX II. No paste and reflow oven necessary. I just needed a magnifier to see what I was doing. About the only time you HAVE to reflow solder is when the package has blind connections on the bottom, like a BGA. Even with ceramic crystal packages, you can pre-tin the bottom contacts, and the board lands, and plop the part down and reflow the solder from the edges - proving the PCB lands stick out from under the package enough to get your tip in there.

And my experience is tin/lead solder is much easier to use than lead free.

But I have to admit that at the time I got my kit, Tony pre-soldered the Si570's on the board so he could test them - there was a bad batch. Is he still doing that?
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »

RE: the Si570 - no, my kit did not come with it pre-soldered.   I took it on last night.   Wow, very challenging.  I won't win any beauty contests with that particular component, but I did manage to get it on there.   

I abandoned the paste idea and have been proceeding with a fine tip and 60/40.
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »

I butchered the tiny SMD voltage regulator.   Going to try to buy an extra couple (along with some capacitors) from Tony....so there will be a delay in progress.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »

These people should be able to help you. www.sdr-cube.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: