Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Delta multi-band or The Par Electronics EF-SWL  (Read 12133 times)
VE7SHM

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »

I have the Par E EF-SWL and am not really happy with it ,Mostly listen 80 meters with my frg-100 .....Thinking of giving the Alpha Delta multi-band 60' a try any opinions on this antenna thanks
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:21:33 PM by LAUCHLIN » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:25:07 AM »

No single element antenna that you can buy, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS, will out perform a simple, inexpensive, easy to build, 80 meter coax fed dipole, everything else being equal (heighth above ground etc).

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:20:00 PM by AD4U » Logged
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

I have used single wire just for easy install and so far I find them noisy, so far i have tried a 85' random wire then the  Par E EF-SWL .I am a new ham so i am still learning thanks for the info i may just give one a try ....

Brent VE7-SHM
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:58:58 AM »

Alpha-Delta make very good antennas ............. and everything else they make. First class quality in my opinion. I have their 80/40 as a dipole at 20 feet and their 40 - 10 fan as an inverted vee at 33 feet. Both are lost in huge trees 2 or 3 times their height. Both perform way better than I expected them to. I also have their antenna switches and rely on them to keep my rigs separated and antennas selected.

Par (now someone else I think) make very good antennas too. I have an end fed 40-20-10 I use from the travel trailer.

For ham transmitting use I need a resonant antenna on the bands I work and it needs to handle 100 watts of RF safely. That's why I have the A-D and Par. But both are WAY over kill for SWL use where there is no power and resonant is less important. True -- you do gain a little receiving with an antenna resonant at the freq you're listening to -- but resonance is critical for transmitter component salvation -- it's not critical for receiver front end preservation.

Unless your SWL thing is to listen to a specific band -- most SWLs I know listen to hams, the BBC, Radio Moscow, and DX broadcast, music. religious programming, etc on a variety of bands -- all you need is an inexpensive roll of hook up wire. Do whatever you can to keep the wire away from metal/grounded things as it leaves the radio and exits the building. Get the far end as far and as high as your location's physical restraints allow.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:25:27 PM »

Alpha-Delta make very good antennas ....

I'd have very good luck with A-D antennas - I've used one of their pre-made dipoles as a primary antenna for a 40M/15M phone station at Field Day for the past several years. Throw it in the back of a truck, take it out the next year, still as good as new.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »

I have the Par EndFed SWL model.  I also have an 80 meter doublet.  The doublet hears MUCH better than the end fed.  The end fed is noisy, even with a ground rod.  If you can put up a dipole (even a short one), you'll cut down on a lot of noise.
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »

Brent--I have been an SWL since 1972 and a ham, off and on, since 1974.  Since most people have space and aesthetic limitations, I agree that you should put up a decent ham antenna (say, an 80 meter inverted vee fed with coax, or a doublet fed with ladder line) and use it both for hamming and for SWLing.  For decades, I was quite happy as an SWL with random length wire antennas--they're cheap and fun to make, work fine, and I got satisfaction from using a homebrew vs. commercial antenna.  I use my ham radio antennas now for double duty, and they work fine.  I absolutely think you do not need a dedicated SWL antenna in your situation. 

Remember, unless you're chasing low power African, Asian, or Australian domestic short wave broadcasts, or unusual utility stations, most SW broadcasters have huge antennas and lots and lots of power.  International short wave broadcasters have, relatively speaking, very strong signal strength.  And, if you aren't picking up the BBC or Radio New Zealand International too well on the 31 meter broadcasting band, they often are broadcasting the same program on another band that you might be able to hear fine. 

That's why less-than-ideal random length wires often work just fine when you're an SWL.  I still have one up here, since I have an old Drake SW-4A in my sunroom and like to listen to broadcasts from there.  If I'm in my shack, I have lots of other receivers and I use my inverted vees or inverted L for listening--whichever works best.  But in my opinion, while a particular commercial antenna might work fine and be well built, the wire antenna you put up yourself in your backyard works just as well...and is a reaffirmation of and a nod to the rich tradition of homebrewing of antennas and radios and stuff from the good old days. 

I strongly encourage you to build your own wire antenna!  Good DXing, Tony
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »

Well i got my Para-end-fed up and away from my shop roof one end is around 75 ' off ground and the other is 5 feet above the peak of my house  my two meter antenna is above it ,My shop roof is metal and so is my house so i have just moved every thing away from the metal and so far have a big improvement.  i am going to made a 80 meter dipole it seems its the best choices  I don't have a HF rig yet but i am in the market for one now need to sell a few shortwave to make some room .Were is a good place to look up some plans for the 80 meter stuff thanks for all the help,,

Brent
VE7SHM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: