Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New, Need Help on Appropriate Equipment to Purchase!  (Read 4555 times)
JACKHALL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »

KI4SDY,

I really like the idea of the AM CB and after reading your initial post (9' whip and SSB mobile and handheld), I've been doing some research.  Clint may very well be correct regarding distance as he seems well informed, but I'm sure the suggested equipment goes much further than what we have now (two Motorola handhelds).

I checked with some local hunters who have the equipment you describe and they tell me distance is excellent (although I feel they may have exaggerated length to some degree).

Thanks for the thoughts!

Jack
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

The hunters you spoke to have actually used the equipment I suggested under field conditions! In addition, in Florida, many hunt year round and can be communicated with in emergencies to add eyes and ears!  Grin

If you need any suggestions while you start to assemble a system, let me know and I will be glad to share what I have learned from experience. If you feel the portable base antenna would be a benefit, you can easily and cheaply make a vertical dipole out of a piece of coax cable or construct a simple ground plane. Use a sling shot or a blunted arrow to get it over a high limb with fish line.  Smiley   
JACKHALL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »

Sorry for the late reply!  I've been on the road and had no internet opportunity.

Thanks for the offer to help regarding setup!  I could definitely use some help.
This morning, I spoke with a different group of hunters who showed me their equipment.  I was surprised to see they had somewhat basic equipment, but got very good range.  One truck was equipped with a Uniden PRO520XL CB Radio.  His partner had a Midland 75-822 CB Handheld. 

These were some good folks.  When I asked concerning range, they actually had the gentlemen with the mobile drive away from us as he spoke on the CB.  He reported at about 4.5 miles (by road, maybe 3.5 "as-the-crow-flys) before we could no longer hear him.  The mobile unit had a 102" whip antenna, while the handhelp had an aftermarket 17" or so antenna. 

Much as you alluded, they said the antenna was 80% of successful distance, if not more.  They also said if they could get a taller antenna on their handheld it would make a great deal of difference.  In theory, they felt that if one could put a 102" antenna on a handheld, they could substantially increase the range, maybe doubling it (does this sound reasonable?). This is where your idea of a getting a piece of coax cable over a limb would be great.

After considering the above, could I ask your opinion on this type equipment and use of coax cable on a handheld? 

If you prefer, my email address is jjtalmage@hotmail.com

Thanks again!
Jack
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »

Yes, they are correct! You will be amazed at the performance of properly installed CB equipment. Keep in mind that 11 meters is just one band below the 10 meter ham band and is identical in its RF characteristics. It used to be a ham band, but was reallocated by the FCC. Wink

You want to hang the temporary antenna from a high tree limb, not drape the coax over it, for best performance. Just 30' up will make a tremendous difference, even with handheld units! You can also construct directional antennas cheap for direction finding. Grin

I will continue to assist you on your e-mail to avoid any distractions.  Smiley   
JACKHALL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »

I look forward to it!

If you like, send me an email so I can get your address.

Thanks,
Jack
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »

The e-mail went through! You should have received it!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:44:21 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: