The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: al-572 led conversion?  (Read 3117 times)
K5ELR

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:27:20 AM »

Hi was wondering if anyone else list's a led light board for this amp lights other than the person on Ebay? Or a plan for the board?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »

Please don't take this the wrong way.... but I wonder why you don't simply design your own PCB/LED assembly?  It would be a good wintertime project; the math involved is very simple and components are easily found.

Go with clear LEDs and try to find those with a wide angle lens.  This kind of information is easily found through Google.  The whole concept is very simple.  The PCB would really be perfboard available through Radio Shack.  Use the existing B+ supply line to the meter bulbs for your power source and use resistors to drop the voltage to the level that makes the LEDs happy. 

You'll probably have to adjust the value of the dropping resistors to cut back the LED intensity once you set them in place because they put out a very bright white light....unlike the incandescent bulbs you presently use.

Have some fun this winter with a worthwhile project that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling.  :-)

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »

It's VERY easy and even better yet, to make a wide angle LED , simple... Take a standard dome top LED and using a file , flatten it out. I do it all the time...
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »

Hey guys, don't foul the day. The design might just be a little more complex because of safety concerns. If the lamp uses resistor dropped b+ it might be that there is 2500+ volts at the hot end of the dropping resistor.

I don't have an al-572 schematic in front of me, but aren't most panel lights run from an ac source?

KF7CG
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »

No, that would be destructive , its LOW voltage according to the schematic , about 12 V.
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »

I recently repaired an AL-572 for a fellow ham and Ameritron has LED replacement bulbs for the meters, they just drop in and you solder up the wires.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »

You  can buy the LEDs from Ameritron.  I already have done this for my AL-572.

Looks very nice.  Total cost including shipping was less than $15 for 3 (got an extra).

Carl - W9PMZ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »

Take a standard dome top LED and using a file , flatten it out. I do it all the time...

Now there's an idea that I've never heard of before!  Thanks!!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:07:06 AM »

Yes, you can buy these directly from Ameritron now.  I did build my own LED assembly for my ALS-600 though.  Info in the "Equipment Modifications" section of my website at www.ad5x.com.  Very easy to do.

Phil - AD5X
K5ELR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »

Thanks alot guys I am going to build my own and have alittle fun. Hope to be able to to the file the led's trick. I thought that was a neat trick! 73's all Doc K5ELR or everybody loves radio!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: