Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. Romney says "Hams are not needed" with agitation.....  (Read 46986 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »

QUOTE:

"Host and moderator Natalie Jacobson asked an increasingly-agitated Governor Romney questions about communications interoperability, and communication without commercial power. Romney was next asked by Jacobson, "...so does it come down to ham radio?..."
The Governor replied in a disgusted tone, "No, we don't need to deal with ham radio operators..."
Embarrassed public safety officials later tried to put in a good word for Amateur Radio. National Weather Service Warning Coordination Meteorologist Glenn Field was prepared to state the importance of Amateur Radio, when Salvation Army Colonel Fred Van Brunt was called upon. Van Brunt remarked about his organization's quest to improve its communications capabilities and how Amateur Radio has aided his organization. "The ham radio situation helps a great deal," he stated."

END QUOTE..

This governor thinks his rear doesn't stink and says it with arrogance. Mean while for the last hundred plus years Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) has been more than a pillar in this countries dark years when in need and around the world. We're always prepared to run towards the fire not asking for nothing in return and he dismiss's it with no regard.

The fact that he over looks our devotion, dedication and commitment to God and country is an insult. Lets not forget the image not only as Americans but from hams all across the world that represent "Ambassadors of Good Will".

I believe once you make a statement like that it's what you believe in and no PR representative can fix that error.

Every ham around the world needs to make sure our government officials don't get to comfortable on their high horse. Every now and then we need to remind them we do vote and quite many of us can vote quite differently if they over look us and take us for granted. Attitudes like this can lead to future changes not in favor of frequencies allocated to us.

Write or E-Mail Gov. Romney's office addressing his comment. You don't have to be an American to speak out in which if needed in other countries I'd gladly protest the same. A ham is a ham no matter what part of the world your in. We stand together!!!

What do you think?

Article can be found here: http://ema.arrl.org/node/802

73!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:11:11 AM »

It just shows what he thinks of us. Even as a back-up resource.

And yet hams will vote for him. Go figure.

73 de Jim, N2EY
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:22:30 AM »

I won't vote for him unless he is the one that runs against O, but only because I don't want O back in.

But... you might want to post the actual date of that comment made by him. He did it in 2005.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »

What would be funny is if the ARRL had the guts to ask him where he stands now. How much you bet he answers differently?
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:43:41 AM »

What would be funny is if the ARRL had the guts to ask him where he stands now. How much you bet he answers differently?

I wouldn't think his opinion has changed since 2005 since I know first hand for a fact Ham's did a HELL of a job during 9/11 2001 here in New York that was absolutely priceless in a crises such as the one we experienced in this nation. Not to mention Katrina so how could he make such a negative comment.

Plus! Assuming he had any actual knowledge of our value historically in the past 100 years then his opinion should've differed given our history world wide during times of crisis.

The fact he might be up for the running this year I think this article needs to remind Ham's world wide let alone here in our country this guy is "not" ham (Amateur Radio) friendly.

73!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 04:45:17 AM »

It just shows what he thinks of us. Even as a back-up resource.

And yet hams will vote for him. Go figure.

73 de Jim, N2EY

We may be a back up these days but we sure weren't this last decade. We were right in the mix with the best of them.

73!
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:26 AM »

The reason that ham radio is a wonderful assets is that we are not centralized. Hams in a particular are may be shutdown but hams outside the area of the disaster can be used. Even the hams in the disaster area that have back up power and antenna system could be a great assest by taking stress off the other communication systems. Mr. Romney may need to be shown the importance of ham radio as a hobby that can fill in when an emergency happens. Here in North Carolina hams are ready to assist during our number one disaster which is hurricanes. Winds could damage all communication systems in an area but hams with our knowledge and equipment could get communication with the state emergency command center in a matter of hours.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:39 AM »

The reason that ham radio is a wonderful assets is that we are not centralized. Hams in a particular are may be shutdown but hams outside the area of the disaster can be used. Even the hams in the disaster area that have back up power and antenna system could be a great assest by taking stress off the other communication systems. Mr. Romney may need to be shown the importance of ham radio as a hobby that can fill in when an emergency happens. Here in North Carolina hams are ready to assist during our number one disaster which is hurricanes. Winds could damage all communication systems in an area but hams with our knowledge and equipment could get communication with the state emergency command center in a matter of hours.

We're also self sufficient in some ways and don't depend on government for information in form of their communication. Maybe he doesn't like we don't have to depend on them entirely.

73!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »

I won't vote for him unless he is the one that runs against O, but only because I don't want O back in.

How would Romney be any different?

73 de Jim, N2EY
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

I'm not gonna let it bother me. To say that he relies on hams might lead to questions about whether or not existing services were adequate. If he was growing aggravated with the interview already, I'm not going to write much into a potentially rash statement.

Personally, I don't care if he didn't like me personally and singled me out as being a useless waste of skin. If he can do the job well, I don't need him to pander to my vanity. I don't suspect I'll get invited to the White House either way.

Chris
AK4KZ
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 09:43:27 AM »

I always suspected that Romney was a CBer.  This confirms it!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »

I'm not gonna let it bother me. To say that he relies on hams might lead to questions about whether or not existing services were adequate. If he was growing aggravated with the interview already, I'm not going to write much into a potentially rash statement.

Personally, I don't care if he didn't like me personally and singled me out as being a useless waste of skin. If he can do the job well, I don't need him to pander to my vanity. I don't suspect I'll get invited to the White House either way.

Chris
AK4KZ

Good points Chris and good advice except if he can't handle an interview such as that one imagine one under more extreme pressure. Giving the benefit of a doubt that he may have been having a bad day unfortunately is not my problem neither do I care. He should always act professional.

I'm not trying to impose on him or anyone that one has to feel the need to have a ham to be dependent on but show a little appreciation. If he doesn't know how valuable we could be or have been in the past he should check himself before speaking.

Just feel he could have responded very differently and appropriately.

73!
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

Good points Chris and good advice except if he can't handle an interview such as that one imagine one under more extreme pressure. Giving the benefit of a doubt that he may have been having a bad day unfortunately is not my problem neither do I care. He should always act professional.

I'm not trying to impose on him or anyone that one has to feel the need to have a ham to be dependent on but show a little appreciation. If he doesn't know how valuable we could be or have been in the past he should check himself before speaking.

Just feel he could have responded very differently and appropriately.

73!

Yeah, that would've been nice but.. meh.. stuff happens. Who knows? Maybe he had a gastro-intestinal problem or maybe an awkward itch or something and was in a hurry to get someplace to deal with it. Just hard to tell. Heck, I've been slighted by people I actually care about.

Besides.. I hear he's a CBer  Grin
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »

Geeeeez!!!!   Undecided This is old news, and the editorial comments look like they came out from the Boston "Blob", the New York "Slimes" or the Washington "Com"post.  This happened 6-7 years ago when Romney wasn't even thinking seriously about running for President.  I saw the broadcast myself on Channel 5 in Boston and attributed his comment as ignorant of the capabilities of ham radio.  Maybe he should have consulted Gov. Pataki on the subject.  George Pataki is an active ham operator, BTW, for those that don't know.

However, seeing the reaction of some in this thread, makes me wonder of the way people think about some politicians.  To think that a simple comment due to a lack of understanding of the Amateur Radio Service will disqualify a person from becoming President makes me shudder.  I think we all agree that our Great Nation has problems that need to be solved that are bigger that just one narrow issue like ARS.  If we are basing our decision at the ballot box on an ignorant comment like that, then, God, help us!!!!

73 and have a wonderful day!!!!! Wink

Bert @ KA2UUP
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:38:23 PM by KA2UUP » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:04:52 PM »

Geeeeez!!!!   Undecided This is old news, and the editorial comments look like they came out from the Boston "Blob", the New York "Slimes" or the Washington "Com"post.  This happened 6-7 years ago when Romney wasn't even thinking seriously about running for President.  I saw the broadcast myself on Channel 5 in Boston and attributed his comment as ignorant of the capabilities of ham radio.  Maybe he should have consulted Gov. Pataki on the subject.  George Pataki is an active ham operator, BTW, for those that don't know.

However, seeing the reaction of some in this thread, makes me wonder of the way people think about some politicians.  To think that a simple comment due to a lack of understanding of the Amateur Radio Service will disqualify a person from becoming President makes me shudder.  I think we all agree that our Great Nation has problems that need to be solved that are bigger that just one narrow issue like ARS.  If we are basing our decision at the ballot box on an ignorant comment like that, then, God, help us!!!!

73 and have a wonderful day!!!!! Wink

Bert @ KA2UUP

Maybe I don't like him because he's a politician and because he's a CB'er. Wink

I was sent an email two days ago about this and it was the first I heard of it. Guess I'm really late on this topic but maybe we need a reminder for those who didn't hear about it like me.

I'm still gonna send him an email as a reminder in case be has a different point of view. If your passionate about this hobby like I I'm sure it's gotta ruffle some feathers.

73!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: